It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:05 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1994 pontiac bonneville se.
I need help. I thought my blower motor was going out/was out. I replaced the blower motor this weekend and there was no change. The vents will work randomly and then stop. All vents blow air, just not at the correct speed. When the vents blow they blow lower than low. Last week i smelled antifreeze in the car when the heat was on. I have no leaks that I can find. I have also replaced the blower motor resistor, and the heater blower switch. I can't figure out what is wrong with my car.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:28 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: .
2015 Buick Enclave
2013 Buick Regal GS
Is your blower actually working in all speeds? Is the airflow being re-directed to the defrost vents? If so, I would say to start by looking at the vacuum connection on the firewall.

Mods, can we get this moved to the 1992-1999 section.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:25 pm 
LE Member

The vents blow on low through all settings floor, defrost, vents and so on. When you stop at a red light the vents stop blowing but when you give it gas they start blowing again. The ac does not work at all, but is holding freon. The vents switch to defrost when you are climbing a hill.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:27 pm 
LE Member

The vents do randomly come on at high fan speed and will work for a day or two and then stop working except for low speed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:36 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

2015 Buick Enclave
2013 Buick Regal GS
Two different things need to be looked at and info from them.

1) Is the blower working in all speeds? Does it blow air out somewhere when turned on? Blower control circuit (electrical)
2) Is the system switching between the vents, floor and defrost on it's own? Damperl control (vacuum) Check the vacuum lines for any leaks. Pay attention to the ones going to the firewall.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:45 pm 
LE Member

While sitting in traffic the temperature started to rise and all of a sudden the blower turned on by itself. I noticed tonight before the vents started working that all thee vents except max a/c would let air flow and when you put it to max the airflow will stop. When the blower comes on all speeds work and all settings include max a/c let air flow.
Where would i find the blower control circuit.
When the air is coming out of the vents it onle comes out of the vent that it is selected for until you go up a hill and then it switches to the defroster on its own.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:40 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

2015 Buick Enclave
2013 Buick Regal GS
As for the vents switching on their own, you have a loss of vacuum.

For the blower, it sounds as though you have a loose connection somewhere. Do you have access to a voltage meter and know how to use one? Or know someone who does? Did you put in new or used parts?

From your original post, if you are smelling antifreeze when on heat, you could have a leak in the heater core. Check for wet spots under the dash and monitor your coolant for any loss.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:40 am 
LE Member

I have not smelled antifreeze for the past 2 days since I added coolant. It was low and now that smell has stopped. Floor was not wet, but will watch for that.

For the blower motor i tried one that was used, a brand new one, and the one that was already in the car. When connected to the battery they all work, but when plugged in to the plug for the blower motor they do not work until the vents randomly come on. The vents came on today by themselves when the car reached operating temp. I'm having to wonder since the a/c won't work and the vents randomly work if it is tied into my fan on the radiator. Seems odd that yesterday when the fan would normally kick on from being in traffic and today at operating temperature that vents kicked on. I'm going to have to check and make sure my fan is working. Looks like more wires to chase down.
I have to buy a new voltage meter. The last time i was having issues with the pcm it fried my meter and now when i turn it on all it shows is 666. I was pretty sure the car was posessed, but when that happened i knew for sure it was. lol. I do have a test light that i have been using and it shows the plug that plugs into the blower motor is getting power and since it does work when it wants to and works on all fan speeds i know it is getting power.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:33 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

2015 Buick Enclave
2013 Buick Regal GS
Did you put in a new resistor pack? The blower for the climate controls should have nothing to do with the fans or engine temp unless someone did some creative wiring.