It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:00 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: '97 SSEi
My steering column (97 ssei) has too much "give" in it. I think it moves up to a full inch up and down and it's not in or related to the tilt column, just a looseness through the whole length of the column, recently becoming bad and steadily worsening. I reviewed this article on the site which ends up dealing with a wobbly column but it's a FULL dismount and assembly of the steering wheel column. (Does everything on the Bonne need to be access impossible?) Please tell me that's wrong. Is there a fast track to a firm steering column? The article is also about an older Bonne' and probably different in some ways. Anyone fixed this already who knows the "tricks"? Please help us Obi Bonne Kenobi!

'96 Chevy Camaro - White w/Black / fire red interior, 3800, manual, loaded, T-tops, Bose - SOLD! Check it out!

Last edited by jonnevilleSSEi on Thu May 31, 2012 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:43 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
Mine had similar play in it. What happened was the lead nutserts at the yoke near the firewall had busted when I had removed the upper yoke bolts from under the gauge cluster and let the column sag to do some work in the area, not knowing what was going to happen. I fixed it with two band clamps that criss-cross, holding the bottom end of the column to the lower yoke. I think the nutserts are meant to snap in the event of a crash to allow the column to move.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:57 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

I'll need to look for that, band clamp = hose clamp? Are those nutserts replaceable or more partial to the steering column?

'96 Chevy Camaro - White w/Black / fire red interior, 3800, manual, loaded, T-tops, Bose - SOLD! Check it out!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:42 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

2009 G8 GT
Yeah, hose clamps.

I don't know if you can get new nuts or not.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:20 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

So this appears to be to be the "right" way to stop the steering wheel "sag". Man that's a LOAD of work (or at least looks like it to me) I'll need to first try the solution with two x'd hose clamps. Any specifics or a photo are welcome( J Wickoff). If you don't have one I'll try to get a photo of anything I devise that works. - thanks.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:24 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Check the lead nut inserts at the base, that thread you linked to is a different issue than the lead nuts. I welded a M3 nut to mine at the bottom in the center and ran a M3 bolt through the yoke. I figure M3 should be small enough to snap when needed, and no more wobble.

I was able to find some at autozoo, but I was too lazy to do the job again.

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:38 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

2009 G8 GT
Yeah, the wobble I had was a different issues than that link outlines, and doesn't require any column disassembly.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:14 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Anyone have details about opening up under the dash on the 97? The passenger side is easy as there is no electrical but the drivers side has a freekin' fuse panel molded right into the kick panel (grrrreat). Once electrics get involved, it can be good to know where things are headed in advance. So if anyone has dis-assembly photos of that or images from under the drivers side dash, always helpful to know what I'm getting involved in. BTW~ If I had a nice garage with tools handy I wouldn't need this as I'd just learn by doing. I live in a "stinkin' " apt. building with no garages, need to drive off to a friends business and have EVERYTHING I need on me or then keep going out after the project is half dis-assembled. (wanted to explain why I ask so many questions where others might say just go there and take a look!!) -thanks.

Last edited by jonnevilleSSEi on Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:55 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 97 SE
On our 97 I just "unclipped" the fuse block from the panel.
Also on ours the cause of the upper nutserts coming detatched was the lower bolts by the flywall where they screw into the column broke.
Not the bolts but the casting on the column broke.
Went to the pick and pull and the column I bought was the same way and didn't catch it before I bought it.
I've got mine rigged with a couple on dryer hose clamps and a piece if flat steel from work.

Last edited by raymwr on Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.