It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:43 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 1995 Caprice SS
Hey everyone,

Yesterday I checked my transmission fluid because my car has been shifting hard lately, and honestly that's the only thing that I have the tools/equipment to check. I got the trans replaced at 197k, and the replacement had just over 56k on it, so I wasn't thinking it could be the transmission, but I checked the fluid anyway, and it was very brown and had a strong "burnt" odor to it. I am pretty sure you're supposed to change your transmission oil every 30k, but should it be this bad by 27k???

Also, I checked my antifreeze levels, and upon looking into the tank, I found some black sludge type stuff stuck to the side and some small bead-like pieces of it floating around in the tank (you can see one in the pic). Can anyone explain to me what this stuff is and how to get rid of it? Here are some pics of the sludge, in case it helps:

after extraction of some:

in the tank:

thanks in advance for any help!

Parker B

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:03 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 98 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
psburtis wrote:
Hey everyone,

Yesterday I checked my transmission fluid because my car has been shifting hard lately, and honestly that's the only thing that I have the tools/equipment to check. I got the trans replaced at 197k, and the replacement had just over 56k on it, so I wasn't thinking it could be the transmission, but I checked the fluid anyway, and it was very brown and had a strong "burnt" odor to it. I am pretty sure you're supposed to change your transmission oil every 30k, but should it be this bad by 27k???

I would definitely change your trans fluid ASAP. Changing your filter/fluid at 30k is a good rule of thumb. What kind of shape and condition was the transmission that you got in? As in the fluid, did you get a chance after the lower mileage one was put in, to check the fluid level/color or smell? It shouldn't be that bad unless you tow/carry heavy loads or abuse and neglect the trans.

psburtis wrote:
Also, I checked my antifreeze levels, and upon looking into the tank, I found some black sludge type stuff stuck to the side and some small bead-like pieces of it floating around in the tank (you can see one in the pic). Can anyone explain to me what this stuff is and how to get rid of it? Here are some pics of the sludge, in case it helps:

Has you LIM gasket been changed? Do you notice around the lower intake manifold to appear to be wet? Are you still using DEX cool or have you changed anit-freeze types?
Get rid of it.... Take the tank off and clean it really good and check for a possible lower intake manifold leak, you will notice a milky/oily look around it.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:19 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

well, I definitely don't abuse/neglect my trans, and I never though to check the fluid because the mechanic who put it in said he put fresh trans fluid in, and I trust him. (my family has bought a few cars from him, he's a good guy). The used trans I got was supposed to be in great shape, and it seemed like it at the time. I never had a chance because it went right to the garage and into my car without me ever getting a look at it. Not that it would have made a difference, I really have no clue what to look for.

Is there a brand of trans fluid/filter that is recommended by anyone? If I can get something better than the garage stock parts I really like doing that.

Last March, Marty (oldblueeyesbonnie) and I changed the LIM gasket and cleaned the top parts of the engine pretty well. I'm not that mechanically savvy, so I can't say exactly what we did, but I know we definitely got in there. I only ask because my engine temp gauge has been going up to 210-220 the past few weeks, where it would usually stay right around 195-200... Not enough to cause problems or anything (that I can tell) but still enough to get me concerned about the cooling system....

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:21 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

also, how easy is it to change trans fluid? I just talked to my local garage, and they said that they'd need a few hours to do it... no big deal, but I'm just wondering if I could do it myself in less time... thanks

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:26 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
IMO, the best way to do it is drop the pan, let it drain. Put the pan back up, fill it, drive down the block and back, drop the pan and drain again, replace the filter, button it back up, fill it again. Again, IMO, don't do a full fledged tranny flush that the mechanic would want to do. It seems to often speed up any impending failure, and maybe even knock lose chunks that were otherwise harmless that would now be stuck in bad places.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:30 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Location: Portland, OR... Nine months of rain per year, yet wicked expensive tap water...
Year and Trim: 1995 SE
psburtis wrote:
also, how easy is it to change trans fluid? I just talked to my local garage, and they said that they'd need a few hours to do it... no big deal, but I'm just wondering if I could do it myself in less time... thanks

Here's an excellent tutorial from 'Techinfo' :

http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/fo ... 45&t=10193

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:49 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

psburtis wrote:
well, I definitely don't abuse/neglect my trans, and I never though to check the fluid because the mechanic who put it in said he put fresh trans fluid in, and I trust him. (my family has bought a few cars from him, he's a good guy). The used trans I got was supposed to be in great shape, and it seemed like it at the time. I never had a chance because it went right to the garage and into my car without me ever getting a look at it. Not that it would have made a difference, I really have no clue what to look for.

Lol I wasn't saying that you abuse or neglect it, saying that it could've been before it was put in. Never know with a donor car (unless its from a car that you know personally.) The shape that I was trying to get at was the fluid/color/level smell, not the actually transmission being in bad shape or damaged.
Yeah like J said, pretty much do that to get a good flush then finally add a clean filter with around 6.1 qts of ATF (Prefer DEX III, what come in the car, but some would chime in on the use of DEX IV.)

Quote:
Is there a brand of trans fluid/filter that is recommended by anyone? If I can get something better than the garage stock parts I really like doing that.

NOT Fram!! AC Delco, Napa, Wix, ATP for filters.
Fluid I would recommend using DEXIII ATF. Valvoline high milage ATF DEX/MERC, I use this, as this was recommended to me.

Quote:
Last March, Marty (oldblueeyesbonnie) and I changed the LIM gasket and cleaned the top parts of the engine pretty well. I'm not that mechanically savvy, so I can't say exactly what we did, but I know we definitely got in there. I only ask because my engine temp gauge has been going up to 210-220 the past few weeks, where it would usually stay right around 195-200... Not enough to cause problems or anything (that I can tell) but still enough to get me concerned about the cooling system....

You could try and do a coolant flush to rid the system of any debris (if not already done so).
This could be a bad coolant sensor, air in the system, sticking thermostat due to debris.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:29 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2012 Eco
I really like Valvoline MaxLife ATF for these transmissions. I'd definitely change it.

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, spending the $10 on a fluid transfer pump will make the job much less messy. About 5-6 quarts will be pumped out, leaving less than a quart left in the pan when it's dropped.

Learn from the mistakes of others, that way when you mess up you can do so in new and interesting ways.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:53 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 05 Chevy 'Hoe
1997 'maro (3.8L M5)
89 SkiDoo
They didnt have DexCool in 96 correct?

00Beast wrote:
Less off-topic than Lane's Heated Steering wheel, but yeah, back to the topic.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:30 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Location: Portland, OR... Nine months of rain per year, yet wicked expensive tap water...
Year and Trim: 1995 SE
01bonneSC wrote:
They didnt have DexCool in 96 correct?

I think 95 was the last year w/o that crap.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:39 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SE
Could the trans cooler in the rad be leaking?

1992 Buick Regal Limited Coupe

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:30 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Merrillspontiac wrote:
Could the trans cooler in the rad be leaking?

That's a good question. I would assume that if it was, the trans would be losing fluid, vice versa?
Hmmm...

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:51 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 97.2 40th SLE
68 w/400
94 SSEi
LeSabre in Buffalo wrote:
I really like Valvoline MaxLife ATF for these transmissions. I'd definitely change it.

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, spending the $10 on a fluid transfer pump will make the job much less messy. About 5-6 quarts will be pumped out, leaving less than a quart left in the pan when it's dropped.

Just stuff the extractor tube down the dipstick tube or what?

I never thought of this before. It would make it a lot less messy.

1999 GMC Suburban SLT-191k
2005 Escalade 253k-GINA

nos4blood70 wrote:
Literally, cars are drugs.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:56 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

1997 'maro (3.8L M5)
89 SkiDoo
Or you could just be man and drop the pan with fluid in it lol.

00Beast wrote:

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:06 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 97.2 40th SLE
68 w/400
94 SSEi
01bonneSC wrote:

True but it's a biotch when 1/2 goes in the drain pan and 2 gallons poor on the ground and then I have to clean it up 8-[

1999 GMC Suburban SLT-191k
2005 Escalade 253k-GINA

nos4blood70 wrote:
Literally, cars are drugs.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:18 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

1997 'maro (3.8L M5)
89 SkiDoo
94SilverSSEi wrote:
01bonneSC wrote:

True but it's a biotch when 1/2 goes in the drain pan and 2 gallons poor on the ground and then I have to clean it up 8-[

The trick is to drop the skinny end of the pan first into the drain pan. Minimal after that.

Waaaaaayyyyy off topic now lol. Let's tighten this ship up!

00Beast wrote:

Last edited by 01bonneSC on Fri May 11, 2012 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:07 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2012 Eco
94SilverSSEi wrote:
LeSabre in Buffalo wrote:

Just stuff the extractor tube down the dipstick tube or what?

I never thought of this before. It would make it a lot less messy.

Bingo. I went all fancy after going through 3 of those pumps and got a MityVac 7201 fluid extractor. It made ATF changes dirt-simple, and refilling the LIM bubble-free was a snap too.

If somebody topped it off with Dex at some point, Dex doesn't play well with regular green coolant. It also doesn't play well with open-air containers like that coolant tank. I'd check the radiator itself for signs of sludge/oil to see if the problem is confined to the tank, or is more widespread.

Learn from the mistakes of others, that way when you mess up you can do so in new and interesting ways.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:38 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
Get one of those plastic tubs that is supposed to fit under a bed. I've got one and it's fantastic for oil changes and coolant drains. Especially since the G8 has over two gallons of oil.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights