It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:00 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1994 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
i have a 94 Bonneville SSEi that is doing some strange things, just got it scanned at the factory and these four codes popped up, p0321, p0705, p0740, and p1361. Techs said it's either my PCM or tranny solenoids. Just replaced park/neutral safety switch, but that wasnt the issue. just had new plugs (TR55 NGK's), new fuel filter, coolant temp sensor, pcv valve, and oil change and tranny power flushed. Should I chance buying the PCM or take it back to the dealer to keep digging deeper into the system??

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:47 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
IIRC the 94 and 95 model years had some issues with the PCMs. One of the symptoms being multiple DTCs.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:10 am 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 1999 Buick Regal GS
I had multiple DTC's (pretty much the same as yours) when my PCM went bad. I replaced the crank sensor, cam sensor, icm which really didn't help until the PCM was changed out. After that, she ran fine (until the tranny took a dump). JRS3800 said they were problematic too. .

1994 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi "Black Betty" NOW PACKIN' 2.5" OF FUN! (retired to the junkyard up above)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:34 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

I have a remaned pcm ready, just need to install it. What is IIRC? I'm not a mechanic by any means, i'm a body man by trade. lol, anything i should watch for when swapping the pcm/ecm out?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:38 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
IIRC = If I Recall Correctly.

It's just an abbreviation commonly used on the internet and texting.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:41 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

k, thanks, now that i'm officially the club tech moron! lol!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:02 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

So I finally changed the pcm and the issue is still present. I still have the p1361 and p0321 showing, but the other codes are gone. The tranny place said that the solenoids and switches for the tcc are all working fine, but it seems as if the problem is coming from my ignition control module. I have thrown over $800 dollars at this thing so far and have made $300 in actual car payments, and the lot won't do anything either. Is there a way to test the ignition module on the car or what else could this be????

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:21 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

What are the problems that you are experiencing?

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:50 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

while driving in town (30-40 mph) when i press the brake to slow down for someone turning or whatever in front of me and go to get back on it (not from a complete stop, but still rolling between 20-30 mph) it shutters, wont go above about 500-700 rpm and sometimes will develop a "hard" brake pedal with a strange "buzz" from the front. When I slow down again after it starts whether I use the brake or coast, it will return to normal. I have replaced the pcm, trans range sensor (park/neutral safety switch), fuel filter, spark plugs, oil change, power flushed the tranny, replaced front struts, had it aligned, replaced passenger lower ball joint, and had multiple scans. Nobody is giving me the same answer. Been told that it's the solenoids in the trans, been told it's the ignition control module, been told it's the torque converter, but i don't know. I've thrown a lot of money that i really didn't have at it already and am getting really frustrated. I miss my 89 Bonneville SE more and more everyday.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:56 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

I can understand why there would be some confusion. Your codes could certainly indication a bad ignition control module, but the symptoms really don't.

The shuddering could indicate that the torque converter is not coming out of lockup, but I'm not sure at what speed your year would normally go into that. It would seem you'd have some stalling problems, too.

The buzz and hard pedal would seem to have more to do with the ABS system. Try disconnecting one of the front wheel speed sensors and see if that problem goes away. It will set off the ABS light though.

Is the PCM a used one, or a rebuilt? Some have had problems with both being bad.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:50 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

The rpm's i stated were wrong, it wont go above 2000 rpm, not 500-700. The PCM was a reman from Autozone. There are no lights (ses, abs, etc.) coming on , nor anything on the driver info center. I have been told that the solenoids in the tranny have had several issues, but i am tired of throwing money at it. I have done at least a dozen scans with Snap-On scanners and keep getting different answers. If any of the Bonneville guru's are around the Spokane area, please let me know if we could set something up. I am ready to drive it off a cliff!!! LOL!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:06 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Got the pcm in, now i just have P0321 and P1361. Going to change the ignition control module and all 4 solenoids in the transmission. Hopefully thats the end of it until i can get my brakes and front hubs done!!