It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:11 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1998 SSEI
I have a 98 ssei and went to the grocery store the other night. came back out to the parking lot and tried to start it and it wouldn't even turn over. not a sound came from it. turned the key a few times and the radio and lights turned on, but still wouldnt start.

i came back in the morning for it, and it started up fine. parked it at home for a few hours. went back out and it wouldnt start. as i was waiting for my ride to work i started it maybe 10 times in a row with no issues. any idea whats going on?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:43 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: .
2015 Buick Enclave
2013 Buick Regal GS
When it doesn't turn over do the lights and radio come on?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:45 am 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 1997 SE Anniversary Edition
vincet79 wrote:
as i was waiting for my ride to work i started it maybe 10 times in a row with no issues. any idea whats going on?

Security light on?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:17 am 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2003 Lesabre Limited, 2008 Cobalt, 2014 Malibu
vincet79 wrote:
I have a 98 ssei and went to the grocery store the other night. came back out to the parking lot and tried to start it and it wouldn't even turn over. not a sound came from it. turned the key a few times and the radio and lights turned on, but still wouldnt start.?

If the security light isn't flashing at you indicating the VATS reading wasn't right resistance, have someone tap on the solenoid on the starter under the front bank of the engine with a hammer while you turn the key to crank.

Bad starter solenoid.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:15 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1998 SSEI
i do remember the radio and headlights coming on. i just went out to check the security light and it flashes like normal before the key is turned. i couldnt tell you how it was when it didnt start because once again it started right up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:51 am 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2003 Lesabre Limited, 2008 Cobalt, 2014 Malibu
vincet79 wrote:
i do remember the radio and headlights coming on. i just went out to check the security light and it flashes like normal before the key is turned. i couldnt tell you how it was when it didnt start because once again it started right up.

It's really frustrating. I had a failure to crank back in March. Towed into my garage. I went out later and instead of checking for voltage at the starter, I played with turning the key to verify it wouldn't crank. Cranked right over on the 4th or 5th turn of the key.

But then weeks later, the cranking didn't sound as powerful and solid. It was like a weakened battery. I cleaned connections. I tightened nuts on the starter. Each time I messed with it the thing cranked better. Finally, got the slower cranking sound. Neighbor helped and when it wouldn't crank later that day, he tapped on the starter. Perfect contact then.

This was the second starter for the car; it was a GM Delco rebuild shop that I bought it from. So I'm on my third starter.

The security light should come on for about 5 seconds when the key is turned to ON. Then it should go out. It should not flash. If it starts flashing and keeps flashing, then there's a problem.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:55 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1999 Bonneville SE
I am having this same problem with my 99. Have you resolved this problem?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:09 am 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Location: Oregon WCBF'04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11 Survivor
Year and Trim: .
93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
Mel, it's best if you start your own topic, as there are a dozen things that can cause this, and his solution may not be yours. We like to troubleshoot these on an individual basis.

On that note, please inspect your battery cables. You need to remove the boots and cut back about half an inch of insulation on the cables. Do you find corrosion? If so, replace them. This is a typical problem with these cars, and has affected probably a third of the cars on this forum at one time or another.

Typical symptoms include no sound when trying to start, but other accessories work fine.

PontiacDad at WCBF '04: Cruise control? That's like surrendering!
Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers