It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New A/C Compressor Time?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:48 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 98 Bonneville SE - 236K
I have a 98 Bonneville Se with 218+K miles on it (still going strong...:knock on wood: ). Well the A/C gave up the ghost a year or two ago and I have never bothered to fix it. Now, my wife is pregnant and it is summer time....she is going to start refusing to ride in it unless I fix it...we could drive the Trailblazer SS everyday, but gas is pricey and i want to keep the miles off of it. Last year, I decided to put some R-134A with stop leak in it to see if it was just low (which it was....empty..), 3 cans later and it worked....for about 20 minutes. I popped the hood to check it out and I could see oil spray all over the underside of the hood, it looked like it was coming from the compressor pulley and flung all over the place (perfect radial line above the pulley). So I can only assume the seals on the front of the compressor are shot. Like I said, it worked fine until everything leaked out. Im assuming the seals are not user replaceable, so I need to get a new (used or reman? ) compressor (ebay?). I figure I can swap the compressors out by myself, but I'm guessing I need to have it filled by a shop so they can evacuate the system before filling it. I figure this will be rather pricey...could I use something like this? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=96677
and evacuate it myself and fill it with cans from the store? Thanks for any help

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:24 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: before cars
That vacuum pump is air powered. It requires a very big air compressor to opperate properly because of the volume of air it consumes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:10 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 98 Bonneville SE - 236K
1fatcat wrote:
That vacuum pump is air powered. It requires a very big air compressor to opperate properly because of the volume of air it consumes.

Is a 14 cfm 60 gallon compressor enough? (only calls for 4 cfm @ 90 psi) Thats what is in my basement, plumbed to the garage :wink:

picked up a new orifice tube, accumulator and system flush today. Gotta figure out what to do for a compressor and replace all of the seals in the system (just for good measure). I can almost feel the cold air now, lol. Anyone know if that "synthetic sub zero booster" stuff is worth it or just go with regular R134A? Also what weight of oil to use in new compressor? I saw both 100 and 150

Last edited by SNK SKNR on Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:59 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
I would take it to a shop, have it evacuated, do your work, then take it back and have the proper amount of refridgerant and oil added. It's not that much more than buying the cans at the store, less time and you know it will be the proper level of both. Just my $.02.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.