It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:34 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonneville SSEi
Hey all, well as the title says, the glass on my rear window randomly shattered several weeks back. It was sitting in my driveway and i have a camera on it or id never belive that story. So began my calls to get new glass installed. Initially I was going to go with a used one but couldnt find one close to me. All the salvage yards I called had crushed their pontiacs basically. Andrew with Bonnevilles Unlimited has some but thats several states away so shipping would be costly. I then decided Id suck it up and pay my insurance deductible of 250 amd get new glass. Called Safelite and they scheduled me only to call a week later and tell me they are having trouble locating new glass and it would be another 2 to 4 weeks before they would be able to locat3 one. I guess I never thought parts for a fairly common 2000 american car would be that hard to come by. The waiting game continues..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:42 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
Unfortunately, rear glass probably isn't a common replacement item and stock will probably reflect this.

My 2008 STS windshield (with my options) was discontinued from GM long ago. There is no OE or aftermarket stock in Canada (through Vanfax) or the US (Safelite) - at least when I checked a few months ago.

I just can't wrap my head around why some of this stuff is so hard to get. I feel your pain!

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:32 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonneville SSEi
Well It took 2 months for Safelite but they found a nice condition used one and installed it. Im happy to have the glass fixed. The ree glass had an antenna on it that looks like one of those old cell phone antennas which they hooked up. After reading here, apparently its for Onstar, which I wasnt even aware this car had anything to do with (no onstar button). Well, just glad that the glass is replaced and I am driving the car every day again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:21 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
What did you do for the 2 months you didn't have the glass?