It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:12 am 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SLE
Friend bought a 2000 Bonneville SLE.
Brake Pedal goes almost to the floor and has little braking power.

The brake lines have been repaired several times before apparently because there is like this braided short line on several parts of the brake lines.

Anyways, one of the lines going to the ABS module is leaking when the brakes are applied. One of the lines to the ABs module is not even connected and that output is just capped off by a bolt.

So anyways, if i were to replace most of the brake lines, would I be able to do that and just bleed the brakes and they would perform normally? Would the ABS work? I do not know if it is bad.

Just trying to find out if this is something I can do or if a shop has to so something magical. I have done many car repairs in the past (including a clutch) but never had to replace rotted brake lines.

Advice?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:28 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1993 SLE
1998 SE
2001 SSEI
2002 SSEI
As I found out today, the 2 brake lines from the master cylinder to the ABS module are an odd-ball size; 6mm. (Wish I'd known before I ordered 1/4 copper nickel line.)

A roll of 25 foot copper nickel brake line with fittings is just under $90, shipped, on Amazon.
I looked on Rockauto and the 2 ACDelco pre-fabricated lines were just under $90, shipped when the discount code is applied (look at RA post in Pontiac Bonneville Club Vendor's Forum).
Because of the convenience and the fact that the cost is the same, I just opted to buy the pre-fab ACDelco lines.

Not sure if the other lines are just 3/16 or are also a metric size.

For my other Bonnevilles, I had bought pre-bent brake lines from SS Tubes on Ebay.
They're OK but I don't like the lack of any strain relief on their master cylinder lines.
Aside from that, they were easy enough to install.

There's no way to know whether the ABS will or won't work after the lines are replaced.

The ABS unit will have to be bled but you can likely accomplish this (after the master cylinder and 4 wheels are bled) by driving on a gravel road and slamming on the brakes a few times to activate the ABS---and then re-bleed the brakes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:30 am 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SLE
MKMike, I really appreciate the response.

I did a little investigating and it looks like the brake lines (except for the rear brakes) will be easy enough to get to.
One thing that kind of threw me though is the two lines from the master cylinder to the ABS module both have two of those braided repair rigs. I kind of wonder why they were not just replaced.

I might ask also - is it common for brake lines to just rot out of these cars? The master cylinder lines actually look the worst.
I will likely swing by a junk yard to see if i can find at least those two lines in good shape.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:51 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1993 SLE
1998 SE
2001 SSEI
2002 SSEI
You're very welcome.
Some people are just extremely cheap or extremely broke.
These cars are old and, if people have to pay someone to fix them, the cost outweighs the benefits in many minds.

Steel brake lines rot out in all the states where ice melting chemicals are applied to the roads.
If you live in a road salt state--you're unlikely to find lines in good shape.
Sorry I missed the earlier comment on the braided sections.

The original equipment brake lines from the master cylinder each have 2 sections each of steel braiding---that's not a repair by anyone.
Have a look here:
https://amazon.com/ACDelco-25698848-Equ ... 00H91NP6O/
https://amazon.com/ACDelco-25698855-Equ ... 00H91NQA4/

The purpose of the steel braiding is to provide strain relief at the points where the lines are expected to flex.
Without this, the lines could eventually snap.
Same reason some vehicles have some coiled sections instead of the braided sections.

Sadly, the subframes suffer the same fate, for the same reason.