It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:52 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SE
Hi guys,
I have a 2000 SE that I just recently picked up and it has the typical issues - door handles, fuel gauge etc., still pleased with her but yesterday drove into work fine but leaving work almost 12 hours later after starting her up I now have trac off - anti lock - brake - tire press warning lights that are now on (all I could think is WTF).
It has always had an issue with the SECURITY light staying on at times when initially started and requires a restart to go out.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:36 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
If you live in a colder climate, the electrical gremlins like to come out to play and can set that security warning. I've had it happen several times.

As for the other warning lights, your best bet is to have it scanned with a device capable of reading ABS codes. A standard code reader won't be able to pull them. Some Advance Auto Parts, or Autozone stores will have them and do it for you. From your description, it is likely a bad wheel speed sensor in one of the wheel hubs, but there are other possibilities. Getting it scanned should give you your answer.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:55 am 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1993 SLE
1998 SE
2001 SSEI
2002 SSEI
Welcome to the forum!
x2 on Archon's advice
Don't miss the Service Stability System info which describes your issue found here 2000-2005-other-than-gxp/topic25362.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:34 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Thanks guys.
My original thought was a wheel sensor but was surprised to think it would affect all 3 of the lights and even the tire pressure warning. Hell I was just hoping it wasn't some impending meltdown.
After work on my way home I thought (Hold down the tire press reset button and see what happens) bingo the tire press warning goes out. (ok maybe when I get home a restart of the car will get rid of the other warning lights.) Yep that worked no more warning lights but is that just temporary? was that instance a sign of an issue with a sensor? Guess I will see.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:37 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
Yes its just temporary. Get it scanned. You won't know anything until you have the codes.

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:22 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
The tire pressure monitoring system uses the wheel speed sensors to detect speed variations between the sensors to detect a low or high pressure situation. So, a bad sensor can also set that warning. It is also based upon the conditions when you do the reset. Just to be safe, now that you've reset the tire pressure monitoring, check the pressure in all of your tires to be sure that they are proper.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:41 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2000 SLE Saved from the scrapyard.
I've got the same problem, except my tire pressure light hasn't come on yet. I scanned my ABS codes and I have a rear tire that has a sensor problem. Mine always comes on when the road is wet or there is enough moisture in the air. I've got a wiring problem most likely, as as soon as everything dries out enough, I get my ABS and Trac back...don't condemn a wheel speed sensor and go and replace the wheel bearing assembly without verifying that you don't have any wiring harness issues ( corrosion in the connection for example ).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:57 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
redfury wrote:
I've got the same problem, except my tire pressure light hasn't come on yet. I scanned my ABS codes and I have a rear tire that has a sensor problem. Mine always comes on when the road is wet or there is enough moisture in the air. I've got a wiring problem most likely, as as soon as everything dries out enough, I get my ABS and Trac back...don't condemn a wheel speed sensor and go and replace the wheel bearing assembly without verifying that you don't have any wiring harness issues ( corrosion in the connection for example ).

The rear wheel speed sensor is extremely easy to fix compared to the front. You can simply unplug the harness and install a new one. I sell them for $25 if you need one.

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:25 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

I checked and made sure on air pressure immediately and they were fine. The other warning lights did come back on so I will get it scanned and see which one is faulting out and clean/replace as needed then.