It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:32 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2001 SE L36
Has anyone ever found a solution to this problem? I guess I will be replacing the wheel hubs but I really don't have money for that right now and this is getting really annoying. As soon as my knee heals up a bit I will go test for play on the wheels but I can't bend down right now.

Here is exactly whats happenning: It began shortly after my first accident. I was hit from the rear and spun around. Immediately after that I would feel a very light vibration from, it seemed, the rear of the car. I had my tire balanced and it seemed to go away. My second accident (yes its white), I was hit in the front fender at 60 MPH. After that the shaking was definately noticable again. The insurance replaced the intermediate shaft and balanced the wheels and tires. The shake was much less but was still noticeable at 70+mph. The mechanic and body shop had no idea what it could be but they noticed the cv axles were seeping out greese. I replaced both of them. The car still shakes. It has gotten far worse as time has gone on. When I'm driving down even a regular city street the passenger seat is vibrating back and forth like crazy. It feels like I'm on a smooth dirt road. Another thing that might contribute is this: Since I bought the car when I turn the wheel lock to lock and the tires are on concrete or smooth asphalt I feel a scrubbing type of vibration from the front tires. I have never felt this in any other FWD I thought the power steering pump was wearing out. It does slowly lose fluid, though there are no leaks that I can find. I have found that if I corner very hard I get this same vibration as well as it makes the other shaking much worse for a while.

I have no clue what to try next. When I replaced the cv axles there was no play in the wheels but I want to check again. This is starting to drive me crazy. If I wasn't upside-down in my car loan I would sell this thing and get another bonneville. Any insights?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:46 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
My car does this as well but it seems to get better or go away after I've been on it for a little while. There are so many possible problems that it's not really worth digging into in my opinion. Good luck with getting it figured out though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:47 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 00 Bonneville SSEi
The general rule of thumb is if you feel the vibration in the steering wheel then its the front tires. If you feel it in the seat its the rear tires. Warped rotors along with unevenly worn tires (bald spots, excessive outer or inner tread wear, etc..) can be causes along with wheel bearings.