It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:34 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2001 SSEi
On my '01 SSEi, i have a terrible shaking in the steering wheel when I hit 60 MPH. If i take my foot off the gas, it gets worse until I get to about 50 MPH. If I turn slightly to the left it gets worse but if I turn slightly to the right, it almost goes away. I've moved tires all around and it doesn't seem to be a tire. Also, when I have this shaking of the steering wheel, it seem like I can feel it in the gas pedal also. Not in the seat, or in the floor, but it seems like the gas pedal is shuddering also.
I've looked around an all the basic front end stuff, but can't see anything obviously wrong.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Last edited by Oldman on Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:19 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '07 MDX | '13 TL | '06 GTO
Oldman wrote:
On my '01 SSEi, i have a terrible shaking in the steering wheel when I hit 60 MPH. If i take my foot off the gas, it gets worse until I get to about 50 MPH. If I turn slightly to the left it gets worse but if I turn slightly to the right, it almost goes away. I've moved tires all around and it doesn't seem to be a tire. Also, when I have this shaking of the steering wheel, it seem like I can feel it in the gas pedal also. Not in the seat, or in the floor, but it seems like the gas pedal is shuddering also.
I've looked around an all the basic front end stuff, but can't see anything obviously wrong.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Should not be to hard to figure out. If your tires are not balanced right it will cause some problems, I'd suggest a different tire shop to do a balance test on the tires. It might be time for an alignment check. Aside from that, I'd say it is time to pull out a floor jack, if you dont have a floor jack, there should be a jack in the trunk. Raise the left front tire, check for looseness. It should be solid, no movement. Do the same for the other front tire. If the front suspension seems tight I suppose you could check the back. The vibration you are describing really sounds like poorly balanced tires. Other possible things are the transmission/torque converter having issues, however I'd rule out all tire/suspension issues first.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:49 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Thanks, Again, I've moved tires around without any change, and yes I have checked for "wobble" at each corner while up on a jack.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:53 am 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1993 SLE
1998 SE
2001 SSEI
2002 SSEI
If you have checked the wheel bearings, control arm bushings, balljoints and inner and outer tie rods--then you may have a bad CV joint.
It is also possible that the subframe, subframe bushings or mounts may be failing.
Outside of these the only things left are motor mounts and transmission issues.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:40 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2004 Bonneville SE
i had a very similar problem..and the control arms bushings were bad... problem with that.. your cant get just the bushings from what i have seen.. its cheaper and easier to get both replaced... fixed mines... my mechanics says those bushing wear out and will cause that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:15 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEI
LMAO! they make a full Who knows What the hell is wrong Package for $315. Inner and outer Tie rods, Sway bar links and L/R Control Arms with Ball joints.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinf ... 445&jpid=1

MOOG KIT40 Click Info for full list of components. Info
Front; w/Variable Assist; Heavy Duty Design Link
Part ImageNext Image
$313.79

Components that come in this kit Quantity
MOOG K8989 {#25679063, 25702353, 25715934} [Stabilizer Bar Link] Problem Solver Info
MOOG EV195 {#26003751, 26003759, 26012282, 26021769} [Tie Rod End] Problem Solver Info
Inner; Includes A Full ball Stud To Provide 360 Degrees Of Smooth Rotational Movement; Variable Steering
MOOG ES3452 {#26045051, 26053831, 26067285, 26086578, 89047749} [Tie Rod End] Problem Solver Info
Outer; Includes Powdered-Metal Gusher Bearing To Allow Grease To Penetrate Bearing Surfaces Next Image
MOOG CK620291 {#25766511} [Control Arm] Problem Solver; Complete Arm w/Ball Joint Info
Front Left Lower; Aluminum Arm Next Image
MOOG CK620292 {#25766510} [Control Arm] Problem Solver; Complete Arm w/Ball Joint Info
Front Right Lower; Aluminum Arm

1995 Monte Z34: T04e "60" turbo, 42.5# injectors, Borla Catback, OBDII swap, DHP Tuned, Much more...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:01 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Thanks for all the help guys. Don't think the "all in one" package is in the budget.

Irony:
driving a car that's 15 years old because you can afford a new one.
As the car starts needing repairs, you don't want to spend the money on repairs because it's such and old car.
Yet you can't afford a new car now, because you're spending so much money repairing the old car.

How many others here find themselves in this same situation?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:09 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

I'll check control arm bushings. That seems to make the most sense to me. Any ideas on an easy way to check?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:09 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

replaced both control arms...fix my problem with that....when those rubber bushings when they rot ..its shake city at highway speeds

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:11 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Oldman wrote:
Thanks for all the help guys. Don't think the "all in one" package is in the budget.

Irony:
driving a car that's 15 years old because you can afford a new one.
As the car starts needing repairs, you don't want to spend the money on repairs because it's such and old car.
Yet you can't afford a new car now, because you're spending so much money repairing the old car.

How many others here find themselves in this same situation?

thats when u throw your hands up...trade it in ..and pay that car note for a new car.... u spending a car note month anyway on repairs and upkeep

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:06 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

I saw a coupon for Goodyear for a "Free Front Alignment Inspection". The description said that they would put it on the front end machine and let me know what adjustments needed to be made. The coupon also said they would check tires, brakes and suspension. Since I'm having this "shimmy" at highway speeds, I figured I would use this coupon. Well they were busy, but I told them I would just wait for them to do the inspection. After about 30 minutes, they drove my car into the bay. I stepped out of the waiting room several times to take phone calls.(I'm a Realtor) and I saw my car up on the rack each time I went outside. I then saw them lowering the car and figured they would now put it on the alignment machine. Within a couple of minutes, the guy walked in and called my name. He went over all of his paperwork with me and told me I needed tires, brakes, hoses, belts and a master cylinder. Total price $2,865.80!! And they never put it on the front end machine! Their brake job includes ceramic pads, rotors, calipers and brake hoses. I told the guy that I had explained to the counter guy that the only thing I was looking for was a cause of the "shimmy" at 60 MPH. I asked him how the front end alignment looked and he said: "Well the guy didn't write down anything about that so I guess it's fine." I went outside several times and noticed that he was "the guy" that looked at my car! I started to make an ass of myself, but figured - you get what you pay for - and told him thanks and left.
I do need tires. I rotated them and noticed that all of them seem to have separations. Considering a set of Falken Ziex ZE950's. I see where others have had good things to say about Falken tires, but haven't seen any comments on that particular tire. It's an all-season tire. Any opinions?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:57 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Yeah I avoid any CHAIN repair place like the plague. The Free thingie was just to get u in the door to charge u some ridicolous price. but i can see how you went that route.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:31 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

My son drives a monster Ford Ranger pick up. Those big tires take a lot of weight to balance. In rotating the tires again, I found 9 OZ. of stick on wheel weights stuck to the inside of one of my rims! When I found this, he told me that he had to get a wheel balanced because all of the weights had fallen off somewhere. Don't know how it happened, but I had a wheel with an additional 9 OZ of lead!!