It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trans Cooler Questions
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:33 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2005 SLE
Hey guys,

I was reading over a few thread about how your trans cooler keeps the Trans temp down around 160 when fully warmed up...and had a few questions about the install..

1. What trans cooler to buy?

2. I assume you drained all the fluid and installed? (which I believe my trans line(s) are leaking and needs to be replace..I will post pics tomorrow to verify the lines)

3. Where and how does the cooler mount?

4. Do you run it during the winter time? (dont see the need...but if you dont, do you unplug it, or uninstall, or whats the procedure here?)

I thought I remembered seeing a write up on it, but maybe I was confusing that with something else...

Thinking of installing one on my car...just need a few details! :dontknow:

Thanks guys!

2005 SLE, Greystone Metallic, 152K.

A few mods..

Last edited by yonkerse on Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:44 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
1.) Depends on who you ask. Some have used B&M coolers, I know myfirstbonne used some off-brand one that he likes, and I'll probably end up using.

2.) No need to drain, unless you need to do a pan drop and filter, the lines are above the pan, they'll drip a little, but you might lose a cup at best.

3.) In front of the radiator. You'll need to make some mounts out of sheet metal or similar. myfirstbonne did a good write-up on it.

4.) The recommended ones are thermostatically controlled, meaning they have progressively smaller plates, since as fluid gets warm it thins, so the hotter it is the more of the cooler it goes through, so there is no need to block it during winter. You could put some cardboard or plexiglass or something over it if the trans isn't heating up enough during the winter.

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=17470&p=185949

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:48 pm 
Moderator / Social Dev
Moderator / Social Dev

Year and Trim: ___
2001 Bonneville SSEi
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
I got a B&M Trans cooler, I believe I ordered it off of summit and it ran me about $50. It was definitely needed in my case, as I was seeing 200ºF+ far too often. With it installed I see 160º during the summer months and 130-140ºF in the winter.

I installed it during a fluid change and shift kit install. So I already had to drop the pan. Which you'll probably want to do anyway but you won't have to. You can install it wherever you want in front of the AC condenser, behind the radiator or in between. It'll be less effective if it's not in front though. Mine is in front, near the bottom so it gets air from the opening under the grille. They usually come with mounting kits, which is essentially straight zip-ties that you push through the fines of the radiator.

As far as use in the Winter, I run mine all year. But probably the easiest way to do this is just install a bypass valve when you do the install. That was it's as simple as opening/closing a valve. Rather than dealing with an install/uninstall every 6 months or so. I'm looking at doing this next time I change the fluid.

DTM Tuned | Dual AeroForce | Solid Mounts | 255 Walbro Pump | Fuel Logs | GXP STB & Sway Bars | CSS Lowering Springs | GXP Brakes | Disabled DRL
Magnaflow Mufflers | Magnaflow Cat | GXP Seats & Trim | 35 % Tint | Cleared & Tinted Tails | repinS Retrofited Morimoto Mini H1 | 19" GT500 Wheels
'09 G8 GT "Abigail" Mods: Rotofab | LS3 Heads, Intake & Cam | Kooks LT | Solo Exhaust | Tien Springs w/ GXP Struts | Whiteline Swaybars | BMR Subframe Connectors
Achievements: Guinevere - 264k mi | 16.27 @ 84.10mph | March '11 COTM :: Chloe - 223k mi | 13.85 @ 102mph | January '09 COTM :: Abigail - 192k mi | 12.85 @ 112mph

Last edited by WhiteArrow3800 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:19 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2012 Eco
I unhook mine during the winter. It's easy, as it's a few hose clamps and placing a hose in the right place. Even blocking it off didn't let the transmission get warm enough in the winter. Otherwise my transmission wouldn't get warm enough to lock the TCC. That happens at 86*F IIRC. My transmission doesn't get above 125*F or so in the winter, and doesn't hit 160*F until late in May. At that point I'll hook up the cooler again.

When I installed mine, the top line was the return line. Unless they changed things in 2005, it should be the same.

Learn from the mistakes of others, that way when you mess up you can do so in new and interesting ways.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:26 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Could one of you guys by chance snap a picture of the cooler installed on your car? (If not too buried!)

Dan - When you mention return line (top hose), this means the fluid is coming into the trans..correct?

Im going to do a little researching to see which cooler I want to go with....really appreciate the replies and input on the subject!

I kinda like Boozes method....I know my lines are leaking, so I can just mock up a setup and just mount it in. And with replacing those lines, since there a crimped fitting, how does replacement of those work? Or whats the easiest way to replace them I should say....

Thanks guys!

A few mods..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:25 pm 
Moderator / Social Dev
Moderator / Social Dev

2001 Bonneville SSEi
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
One other little bit of info...if you go about replacing the lines, one end is metric while the other is standard. IIRC the trans is standard. So keep that in mind if you need to get new fittings. I was aggravated when I figured that bit out.

Here's a few pics of mine. The return line going back to the trans:

Looking up from the ground:

And here, looking down right in front of the hood latch:

DTM Tuned | Dual AeroForce | Solid Mounts | 255 Walbro Pump | Fuel Logs | GXP STB & Sway Bars | CSS Lowering Springs | GXP Brakes | Disabled DRL
Magnaflow Mufflers | Magnaflow Cat | GXP Seats & Trim | 35 % Tint | Cleared & Tinted Tails | repinS Retrofited Morimoto Mini H1 | 19" GT500 Wheels
'09 G8 GT "Abigail" Mods: Rotofab | LS3 Heads, Intake & Cam | Kooks LT | Solo Exhaust | Tien Springs w/ GXP Struts | Whiteline Swaybars | BMR Subframe Connectors
Achievements: Guinevere - 264k mi | 16.27 @ 84.10mph | March '11 COTM :: Chloe - 223k mi | 13.85 @ 102mph | January '09 COTM :: Abigail - 192k mi | 12.85 @ 112mph

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:23 am 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Thanks for the pics Booze! It appears you have removed your fittings all together, and just replaced with a small hose clamp, seems like a good route to go!

In the second picture, that tube running along the left side, it appears as thats an additional bracket to mount the cooler, was that included in the kit?

Thanks!

A few mods..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:53 am 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Did a little searching around today...think this is the Cooler im planning on going with...

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... 926_0_4687

Anyone see any pros/cons with it?

And Thanks Beast for supplying the thread link and info, haven't thanked ya yet! haha

A few mods..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:00 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2012 Eco
That's the style to get. I have an identical one on my car.

Learn from the mistakes of others, that way when you mess up you can do so in new and interesting ways.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:04 pm 
Moderator / Social Dev
Moderator / Social Dev

2001 Bonneville SSEi
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
The B&M Kit came with everything I needed to get it mounted and extra. That tube you see isn't anything to do with the Trans cooler. It's part of the car. Though off the top of my head I don't remember for what exactly, but probably part of the hood latch structure.