It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Starter Bad?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:44 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Galaxy Silver SE no mods
Hey folks,

Here is my problem. I have a ticking clicking sound when I start. Had my mechanic come to the house to test my Big 3 (Alt, Stater, and Battery). He instructed that my starter was pulling "way to much current." Also at hot idle the volt meter swings from 13v to 14.8v. I loosely acts like my oil pressure gauge when I press the accelerator. I do have an Amp (700w), but this will NOT turn on until the radio is turned on. The amp possy is hooked up to the possy NEXT to the battery an not on the battery. Also about 2 weeks ago the car completely died, as is dead, while I was at a stop. Would not let me start nor turn the radio on. Crazy thing was I counted 30 seconds and it turned over like a new car. My main problem that it now will not start properly. Click Click Click start or Click Click/Start. My wife was at work and could not get it to start [Click Click Click], and had one over her friends jump the Bonnie. Fired right up. So having this said I think the mechanic is right. Starter is drawing to much. I did go under the Bonnie and found that the starter was rusted bad and the connections were "OK" and the starter was not loose. While up on ramps, I started the Bonnie with no fail. time and time again, but as soon as I go off the ramps ...Click Click Click Start. I know that this car is like a woman, but I never thought she was a [difficult female].

I will list what I have set up in my Bonnie and any modification in list form.

Year: 2000 SE

Battery: Interstate MTP-79 http://www.lesscoelectronics.com/INT...Y_p/mtp-79.htm

Amp: 700w w/ground hooked up to the frame.

Alt: OEM

Starter: OEM

Thanks, :thumbup:

Post subject: Re: Starter Bad?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:42 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 2000 SE, 2008 Trek 3700
When my starter when out it would click every time I tried to start it so I would say take that off and take it to an autozone (or whatever is closer) and have them test it, and see if its bad (they said mine would turn over a lawnmower engine). The rest of it, especially the "starts every time on ramp/ doesn't on flat ground" thing is a mystery to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:04 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

laxmangl wrote:
When my starter when out it would click every time I tried to start it so I would say take that off and take it to an autozone (or whatever is closer) and have them test it, and see if its bad (they said mine would turn over a lawnmower engine). The rest of it, especially the "starts every time on ramp/ doesn't on flat ground" thing is a mystery to me.

Thanks, My good friend is coming over on Friday and taking a look at it. He believes it to be the wires. I know for a fact that corroded wires will cause "too much draw".

THANKS, :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:49 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Went to a great salvage yard near my home and fixed the Bonnie! Starter was bad along with the solenoid. I did find out what the root problem was wit my electrical, the amp wire. I had 8 gauge hooked up. Mistake. I ignored a common rule of thumb. Always start with 4 gauge wire. So having that said, does anyone have laying around, I need about 6 foot? :helpsmilie: