It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:04 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2004 SLE
Is there any known trouble spots in the lines from xm tuner to head unit? Everything seems to work except no sound. I do have the infamous trunk leak so idk if that caused a bad ground somewhere or something. Am/FM radio work great.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:46 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

I'm gonna try wiring in an aux input to the xm wires to see if that will produce any sound.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:22 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
TBH, I didn't know XM was an option.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers and 10" Subs, 1300 watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:48 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
There are four wires relating to the audio signal from the SDAR (Satellite Digital Audio Receiver) module connecting audio to the head unit. These are LEFT, RIGHT, AUDIO COMMON and a bare drain wire used to ground the mylar shielding wrapped around the audio signal wires. This bare conductor does not carry any audio.

In vehicles also equipped with the 12-Disc CDX, there are splices in the main body harness because these two components share the audio input on the radio. In cars WITHOUT the CDX, wiring connects at the SDAR in the trunk and runs through the main body harness without passing through any additional connectors until it reaches the dash. At this point, there is a 4-cavity connector located under the steering column where the audio signals connect to the instrument panel wiring harness. From this point, the signals pass directly to the back of the radio. Again, there are no other splices or connectors.

I would try power cycling the XM radio module by pulling the fuse for 15 seconds. It is located in the fuse block under the rear seat. It is fuse #15, rated at 5A, and labeled "SDAR".

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:57 am 
SE Member
SE Member

Thanks for your response. Should I assume the connection under the steering column must be good since it's still showing station info and radio ID? I will pull fuse tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:38 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

No, the connector under the steering column is strictly for the audio signal. Communication between the head unit and SDAR takes place over the Class 2 serial data bus on different wiring. It's completely possible for those two components to communicate and otherwise function normally but still have no audio.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:28 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Pulled fuse for 30 sec and replaced, same result. Also have tried factory xm receiver and aftermarket plug and play Sirius tuner with same results. Is the 4 cavity connector under steering column stand alone and obvious to see or grouped in alongside other connections?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:36 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

I can’t recall if it’s off to the left or right of the two large LeverLock connectors (right I think), but it’s a black four cavity connector, 2 rows of 2 terminals. I’m not near my manual so I can’t tell you wire colours, other than one is bare with no insulation (may have a clear sleeve over the conductor). It should clip to the underside of the dash but you’ll need to remove the kick panel to find it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:05 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Pretty sure I found it, and it's not connected. It is clipped on metal, the male. Trying to find the other end to connect. Do you know if the male is from Sdar or radio?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:53 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

The male end (as I recall), which clips to the dash goes to the radio, the female end is part of the main body harness. Keep in mind that for automotive connectors, gender is determined by the terminal and not the connector housing. It may be that a previous owner disconnected it to attach a different source but never reconnected it once removed.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:21 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Thanks again for your assistance. It seems like the connector I see is coming in from all the way on the left (drivers side), so I assume that's from the SDAR. I can't seem to find the other end to plug into it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:28 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Just based on the routing of the main body harness, I wouldn’t make that assumption. When I get home from work later I can post more details and possibly a picture.

Also try looking for wires that were cut off and without a connector. If someone tried connecting a different audio device, they may have cut the body harness to use the connector as a pigtail.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:45 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Ok thanks. Perhaps if I get a better idea where each end is coming from I can get it hooked up.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:40 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6Ew4YZa1E4NjjCW76

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:40 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Okay, you're looking for connector C217. As mentioned, it has two rows of two cavities each. In the cavities you'll find:

Cavity 'A' - Bare wire (Drain wire)
Cavity 'B' - Black wire, White stripe (Audio output common)
Cavity 'C' - Dark green wire, White stripe (Right audio output +)
Cavity 'D' - Brown wire, White stripe (Left audio output +)

The female connector (female terminals) is attached to the main body wiring harness and runs back to the SDAR. The male connector (male terminals, female housing) is attached to the instrument panel wiring harness and connects to the back of the radio.

Here is a photo of the male connector that clips to the dash:

Here are different views of the female connector that connects to the SDAR:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:43 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Jdub34 wrote:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6Ew4YZa1E4NjjCW76

Yes, that's the one you're looking for. If there's nothing plugged into it, that's your problem.

Does your car have RPO code U2K on the bottom of the spare tire cover?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:52 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Thanks for that! I'll have to look tomorrow for the code. Forgive my lack of knowledge but where in your first picture should I be trying to find the female? Not sure what the main body wiring harness is.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:23 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

The only reason I say to look for the code is to make sure that XM radio was factory installed and not done by someone after the fact (as I did with mine). If it wasn't, I wouldn't expect to see that connector under the dash but...

This is what the main body wiring harness looks like outside of the vehicle. It extends from the under hood fuse block and forward most airbag sensor, all the way to the tail lights and into the trunk lid. It connects to several sensors and devices inside and outside of the car, including both fuse blocks. Several other wiring harnesses connect to it.

The female half of those large 40-cavity connectors under the steering wheel are also connected to the main body wiring harness. That small one, assuming it hasn't been cut off, should be dangling/located in the same general vicinity of those.

This picture shows the female black and white 40-cavity connectors that plug in under the steering column. You can see where the harness bifurcates into the three different branches, the smallest being the connector from the SDAR.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:01 am 
SE Member
SE Member

Excellent, thank you. The car was bought new by my grandfather, not sure why it's not connected but I'm pretty sure it's all factory. I will update tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:13 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

It's possible that if any work was done under the dash, it may simply not have been reconnected again. As an example, the intermediate steering shaft has been a common nuisance in these. Changing this would likely have resulted in the harness being disconnected. Of course there are other possibilities, too. Hopefully the other end is there and it's an easy fix for you.