It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:51 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2001 Pontiac Bonneville SLE
I have a 2001 Bonneville that I purchased 4 months ago. Recently I was received two 12" subs in a box as a gift from my older brother. I work everyday so I never actually had time to hook them up. They have just been sitting in my trunk for a month now taking up space. I was able to get a friend to try and hook the subs up to my stock system using a converter box (which allowed the factory radio to hook up an aftermarket amp, it was $20 bucks) from Autozone. After hooking it everything, the amp turned on but the subs refused to omit any sound. He looked at all the connections and said it had to be the converter box. One problem I noticed (after going to an auto audio dealer) was that he connected the remote fuse directly to the radio fuse under the backseat of the car which the dealer stated could fry the converter box.

After going to a dealer instead to get a professional hook-up, he stated that it would be easier to change the deck and buy wire harnesses so that the door chimes still worked. After he priced everything including the labor, it came out to be almost $450!! Stating that the car had a straight from the factory Bose system with an amp which prevented the subs from working thru the converter box.

Could any user who had experience in hooking up an audio system give some advice on how to at least get my subs working in my car. I would greatly appreciate it :hail:

Last edited by Bonne&Kidd on Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:06 pm 
LE Member

Could i possibly?

1. keep my stock deck and hook up my speakers, not risking my door chimes and steering controls
2. change to an aftermarket deck (what would I have to purchase to keep my steering controls and door chimes working w/ cost) and still attempt to hook up the speakers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:44 am 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 1988 LE
2000 SSEi
I know that you can keep your stock HU and get subs, but i don't think you can use a converter for it. One of my friends has a GXP GP and subs with the stock unit. He said that he had a shop add on RCA pre outs to the back don't ask me how but it is possible and his subs work fine, but he said he can't turn it up as loud as he would want because then the signal gets distorted. It is possible to get an aftermarket and still have the door chimes it just take a different/second adaptor harness for it. Overall I think aftermarket would be your best bet because you don't have to worry about your stock HU getting messed up or limiting your audio. And i wouldn't pay a shop for a HU install as it is very easy.

Also if it matters to you a double din will fit the dash would just need to be trimmed. if you check this:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25783
It should tell you what you need to know about installing a HU.

2000 SSEi R.I.P. Dead now :( INTENSE FWI, polished LIM, P&P supercharger, custom radiator, standalone trans cooler, trans-go shift kit (donating to the 88)

2002 2500HD Silverado with the 8.1 Vortec and Alison tranny. Likes to eat GT Mustangs and lots of tires, and all while stock!

yourgrandma wrote:
And thats how I got my mom pregnant.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:41 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2008 Aura XE
The shop just spliced a line out convertor into the rear speaker wires. But I know its not that easy when you have Bose because of the factory amps already installed. Here is a thread that should help

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18399&hilit=bose+sub

Sold but never forgotten:
1998 Bonneville SE
1992 Bonneville SE

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:31 pm 
LE Member

It's been a few months and I decided to wait and just get an aftermarket CD player, and save up so that I can purchase the adapters needed for me to keep all the same functions without risking damage to my car. I greatly appreciate the input you guys gave me

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:05 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 bonneville ssei
you may want to look in to a jl clean sweep found here http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_534 ... MgodvQ0AwQ these u can find cheap if u look around '