Fronts only, junkyard 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
All four wheels, junkyard 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1
 Post subject: Powerstop GXP kit?
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 7:36 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi
I've been thinking about the GXP brake upgrade for my SSEi (currently being rejuvenated in a 2000 version after a drunk piled into the 2001 while it was parked in front of my house) for a few years now, and might pull the trigger on Powerstop's Z23 version on RockAuto.

My thoughts: going the junkyard route, for the front I would need rotors, calipers, brackets, bolts. The front rotors are larger than the SSEi rotors (11.920 SSEi vs. 12.715 GXP, hence the GXP brackets. (Would the GXP calipers actually work on the smaller SSEi rotors?) I have all four calipers already from an earlier junkyard trip, but no rotors, no brackets, no bolts. I would put a kit in the calipers, because I may be stupid but I'm not an idiot.

The rear rotors are not identical in size (11.060 SSEi vs. 11.920 GXP), but the calipers are basically the same, and braking would not really benefit from the swap. Seems like just leaving the rears alone might be the best bet if I go the junkyard plan, or maybe even if I go with Powerstop?

Going with Powerstop, I would still need to find brackets and bolts (although RockAuto lists those, too) for both front and rear. The drilled/slotted rotors don't really add anything to the equation except possibly an interesting look, but everything would be fresh, shiny, red, and match. Just more dollars, of course. Powerstop also wants $100 core charge for the calipers, but I can send in the junkyard calipers I already have and not have to rebuild them.

Finally, would there be a clearance issue with 17" swoopies?

Thoughts? Am I missing anything? There are numerous threads on this particular upgrade, but it's always nice to get everything in one place.