It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: zzp l36 supercharger kit
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:38 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2004 SE...graystone, 1SC pkg., spoiler, chromies.
Saw this kit on ZZP's website recently. In their descripton of a 'bolt-on' supercharger kit, installation seemed as easy as you and a buddy sparing 4 to 6 hours out of your weekend. Could this be accurate?, and if so (when I come up with the $1,800), could my '04 stock L36 SE internals and trans. handle the extra power/torque with 115,000mi. on the clock?. :dontknow:

Maybe just dreaming at this point, but still curious.
Thanks!
P.S. they claim successful instl./performance with this kit on bonnies and other FWD L36 cars.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:59 am 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi.

LOTS of Mods
I have installed this kit on a few Grand Prix and yes, you unbolt the UIM and LIM and replace the "ZZP" modified SC and LIM. Basically all they do is install Injector holes in a L67 LIM. A couple Tensioners and a Tune and your off and running.

That being said. If you want a cheaper option and a more factory look, they you can Top Swap your car for less than half of what the ZZP kit costs. I personally like the top swap option better because it uses all factory components instead of modified stuff.

Yes your Engine and Trans can handle the added power. There are Grand Prix and Regal guys making double the stock power on stock L36 bottom ends.

The trans on the other hand, if you are staying with a stock pulley or close to stock pulley you have no concerns with your stock trans if its already healthy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:53 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2004 SE...graystone, 1SC pkg., spoiler, chromies.
Thanks for the info...i didn't even consider a factory top swap from an L67 motor. I'm assuming it would be just as easy labor wise, but i'm assuming hard to find parts considering every L36 owner would have the same idea. If i were able to find the top end, then all i would have to do is have my ecm re-tuned, correct?.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:44 am 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Year and Trim: 99 SSEi
01 SLE
02 GTP40th
02 SSEi
06 GP GT
I just put a 2005 Bonneville 3800 non-supercharged short block w/81k miles in my 04 GTP Comp G.
I have yet to tune it for the 'bottom swap' but it's running great (aside from the need for a tune which is preventing me from getting on the throttle more than 10%).
Once I get the tune I would fully expect this to last another 150k miles with proper maintenance -one key to a successful topswap/bottomswap is to use quality parts/supplies:
Felpro or GM L36 head gaskets, GM metal LIM gaskets, new SC gasket, new GM/Felpro valve cover gaskets, metal coolant elbows, green antifreeze, Autolite 605 plugs properly gapped, etc.....)

One big thing a lot of people overlook doing when they do a top-swap is they don't put headers in -a decent set of headers (Speed Daddy's are cheap and with some upgraded clamps/gaskets are a decent option -SLP, TOG & ZZP are higher quality and price definitely is reflected with quality).

If you decide to go with a top-swap I have several items here to make a top-swap a lot easier (you would need to locate cylinder heads locally) as well as a couple HD differentials sitting here. You would just need to get a passenger side axle to match.

2000 Silverado 2500 Ext Cab 4x4/6.0L/4L80E
2000 Trans Am WS6 LQ3 (LQ4 w/LS3 top end) 4L60E
2001 SLE
2002 Monte Carlo SS Top-swapped FSIC Gen V TOG's, Mezeire.....
2002 GTP 40th Anniv Ed Coupe
2004 GTP Comp G 'Bottom-swapped'

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:44 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 2004 SLE
I admit this kit is kinda expensive but it appeals to me from the aspect of the aforementioned "out of the box in an afternoon" and you're off and running. I think part of the cost with the kit is the custom machined pieces that make this possible.
While its true you can do the top swap for less money, locating and pulling the parts is a job in itself, as well as tearing the engine down to the block and installing the new pulleys. For some, and I think I fall into this category, pulling heads is no small feat in the car, plus I'd have the car out of service for quite a few days.

I also think the total goal in mind is a big factor. Are you racing the car? Is your long term goal more mods and more power? Or are you already fairly happy with your street cruiser and want a little added juice? If your option is the last one, then the kit probably makes sense, if not, then the top swap is the better way to go if you can pull it off.

The Blog, http://www.tobthebat.wordpress.com

Luna LeMans on Smashwords
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/870754

Luna LeMans in Amazon paperback
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1983273589