It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My 2 project ideas
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:38 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: Don't have one yet, but I'm in the market!
I put this in a different part of the forum, but I suppose it belongs here.

Maybe I'll get the 96-99 for my DD and get myself a cheap 92-95 to make into my project...

Speaking of projects, I wanna get some opinions. I have two MAJOR projects in mind for a Bonnie.

Project idea 1: LS4 w/AWD system from the Aztek (Finally making the Aztek worth SOMETHING!). I know GM themselves did this in a Grand Prix, so I figure why can't I do it in a Bonnie?

Project idea 2: Remove the front and rear subframes and install a full RWD frame complete with LS1 (or whichever LS series engine I can find at the time), 4L60 (or 6L60 if available at the time), and IRS suspension.

Neither of these is intended to be an "installed in one weekend" project, nor are either of them intended to be cheap. They are meant to be a challenge, and therefore a grand accomplishment once completed!

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=23961

'10 Impala 3.5
'98 Taurus (Gonna be gone soon!)

Post subject: Re: My 2 project ideas
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:27 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
GM did a 94 SSEi on top of a Caprice frame with an LT1. It involved moving the front wheels forward so the steering would clear the oil pan. It's doable.

My thoughts would be that the RWD conversion would be more difficult than the AWD because of the engine orientation.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers and 10" Subs, 1300 watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:11 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
Ok, well I'm gonna be the realist here.

If you want to do this, awesome. Be sure to post up pics of your progress. However, like a lot of car projects, I have a feeling you're going to end up WAY over your head with this. How much fabrication experience do you have? This isn't something a guy with a welder that has thrown a few beads should do. Unless you have real fabrication experience and fully understand what you're getting into, I have a feeling your car is going to end up like our venerable site owner's 95 SSEi, being parted out and cut up after 5 years in the garage in a million pieces.

Why not just get a nice 96-99 SSEi and get it running and driving well, then get a vintage car or truck and trying your hand on something a little simpler? Do an LS Swap into some old BOP and have a vintage car that runs awesome, or whatever.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:33 am 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: Don't have one yet, but I'm in the market!
I understand what you are trying to say beast, and believe me it does NOT go unheard. As I said, this is meant to be a challenge, and therefore a great accomplishment when it is finished! And while I don't have the fabrication experience I would like to have, I don't intend to give up on the project if I should mess something up. Not to mention that I was thinking of having someone who DOES have the fabrication experience do the fab work.

My father spent 4 years resto-rodding a 66 GTO, and comparing the before and after in my mind (since the fool forgot to take before pictures), I know that every painstaking hour spent polishing, grinding, wrenching, sanding, bondoing, and wiring wound up being worth it in the end! I also know that every project of this nature BEGINS with research, measurement, more research, and a LOT of problem solving even BEFORE you take the original apart!

In other words, I do not take either of these project ideas lightly. I know that it will be one hell of a ride! And when I'm done, I'll have one hell of a ride! lol!

And should I decide to undertake either project, I WILL take before, during stages, and after pictures for proof and to guide anyone who wants to do it themselves!

'10 Impala 3.5
'98 Taurus (Gonna be gone soon!)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:35 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: VS Statesman Caprice
Leather interior
Blown 3.8
:offtopic:

Last edited by Shannoww on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:10 am 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Location: Oregon WCBF'04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11 Survivor
Year and Trim: .
93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
robroyoldboy wrote:
I understand what you are trying to say beast, and believe me it does NOT go unheard. As I said, this is meant to be a challenge, and therefore a great accomplishment when it is finished! And while I don't have the fabrication experience I would like to have, I don't intend to give up on the project if I should mess something up. Not to mention that I was thinking of having someone who DOES have the fabrication experience do the fab work.

My father spent 4 years resto-rodding a 66 GTO, and comparing the before and after in my mind (since the fool forgot to take before pictures), I know that every painstaking hour spent polishing, grinding, wrenching, sanding, bondoing, and wiring wound up being worth it in the end! I also know that every project of this nature BEGINS with research, measurement, more research, and a LOT of problem solving even BEFORE you take the original apart!

These two paragraphs tell it all. I have years of fabrication, design, machining, and welding experience, and I wouldn't tackle either project because it's not worth it. You'll get more satisfaction and experience from a much simpler project to start with before tackling either of these. I can assure you that the odds of you being successful are very slim. Get a VW bug and convert it to a convertible as a starter project.

What type of shop and what tools do you have? What's your realistic budget?

On the other side, your projects are not practical. Restoring a classic is. You're modifying a car (with these projects) that will be worth next to nothing when you're done.

PontiacDad at WCBF '04: Cruise control? That's like surrendering!
Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

Last edited by willwren on Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:45 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
I agree with Bill. If you're going to have to pay someone to do this, it is most definitely not worth doing, and it's not worth ruining a friendship with a welder friend, LOL.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:55 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 1996 SSEi
I'm probably gonna be the only one on here to say this... But go for it! If that's want you want, make it happen! I'm a firm believer that you can get whatever you put your mind to. This is my personal dream. I promise you this will be in my driveway next year, and I bet you'll have an AWD or RWD Bonnie! Don't be discouraged and follow your dreams :) Quoting myself here. I have a mind set of my own...

99BonnevilleSE wrote:
So after doing some talking with my father he talked me out of the summer engine rebuild by offering me a sweet deal. He said if I keep my grades up and since I paid him back for the Bonneville so fast, that he will co-sign on a car loan for me when I turn 18 in Feb of 2012. I quickly said yes. But I began to think about how much I'm gonna miss the Bonneville. It will have to be sold for a down payment. Sad but true. I can't keep it forever. It will be replaced by a very nice.. I have my heart set on this... So many toys and features... RWD... V8...

BMW 745Li

So that's the fate of my Bonneville, do you know what yours will be? Or if you already got rid of yours, what happened to it?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:10 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Leather interior
Blown 3.8

Last edited by Shannoww on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:30 pm 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
The topic author doesn't have the same options available in the US. And that's WAY beyond the budget range of the projects he mentioned.

Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:34 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Leather interior
Blown 3.8

Last edited by Shannoww on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:58 pm 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
Shannoww, this is a bit far off topic.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:14 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Leather interior
Blown 3.8
Sorry, fixed.