It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:23 am 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2001 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI
Hey, haven't been on here in a while. My car sat for a couple years, but I have decided to drop money into it again. Apart from the 2,900 I just spent at zzp, I am also looking to redo the brakes. I was going to buy ZZP rotors and Hawk pads, but I really want better calipers as well. Someone told me to go with a GXP kit. I don't know much about the fit, or power of the GXP brakes. Anyone have any info on GXP brakes and possibly where I can find a GXP front/rear kit for my 01 SSEI? Or at the least, calipers wether they are GXP or not. Would new OEM brake calipers work a lot better? I just want more stopping power. Do you think its beneficial to change out the brake master cylinder as well? Any brake info is appreciated.

Also, I have been looking EVERYWHERE for better cv axles. I can only find OEM replacements. WHERE THE HELL DO YOU FIND BETTER CV AXLES? lol

Cars about to under go a paint job and I need a new rear bumper anyway. Does anyone know of any body kits the bonnies have available? Or is it like most everything else, and we are SOL?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:29 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
No body kits available beyond finding GXP stuff and getting it painted and put on.

GXP front brakes have two pistons instead of one and are a nice improvement. You can buy new ones and put them on. You'll need the brackets and lines and you'll be good to go. The rear caliper is actually the same across all models, just uses a different bracket for the caliper and a larger rotor.

If your master cylinder is fine, I wouldn't mess with it. Just bleed everything well, maybe consider stainless steel lines, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:12 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Hey man. Thank you for the response. Thats unfortunate about the body kits, and I found out the only way to get better cv axles is custom. I'll just keep trading out my lifetime warranty ones. And I won't mess with the master cylinder.

So, In addition to buying the larger rotors all around, and the new front calipers, I will need new brackets all around and new brake lines? And I am assuming longer caliper bolts.

Any chance you know where I can buy those gxp brake kits? Brackets and Lines (steel braided) as well?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:28 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 2003 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI
front left and right brake lines are: ACDELCO 19366760 & ACDELCO 19366761
I don't think the rear brake hoses change but I show this one for both right and left sides for 05 GXP: ACDELCO 19366759
For the front calipers I show: ACDELCO 18R2017 & ACDELCO 18R2018
Front Brackets: CARDONE 141183 {AC DELCO #18047987} (fits R or L)
Rear Brackets: CARDONE 141154 {AC DELCO #18026216} (fits R or L)

That should at least get you started and give you part numbers you can cross reference with if you prefer aftermarket/performance versions vs AC DELCO ones.

SLP Ceramic Coated Headers,
Thrasher Cold Air Intake,
GXP Tails, Interior Door handles, Trim pieces etc.
40th Aniv Grand Prix GTP Wheels (Very Shiny & Very Annoying :pukeleft: )

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:11 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Thank you!!! Super appreciate the help guys! I would have been looking for those forever.

If you guys know of where to get a set of rears or fronts, that would be appreciated.

I was going to buy the 12.7" GXP dual piston kit from ZZP, but I want the same rotors for the rear. I was looking at their zzp cross drilled/slotted rotors and it looks different from their kits. I don't necessarily want to mismatch different brands. Any ideas? Know anywhere I can buy fronts and rears brand new? Or do you think it matters at all? Should I care if the fronts and rears look different at all? lol Probably not.

https://zzperformance.com/collections/3 ... -brake-kit
https://zzperformance.com/collections/3 ... d-rotors-1