It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Political threads...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:58 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2005 GXP
I just saw the new NOTICE about no political ads/avatars/sigs/etc... Can we put an end to the political threads altogether? It's not that I don't want people speaking their minds, but there are probably 1000's of forums dedicated to political thoughts/ideas out there. I just don't like seeing members vs. members about issues and tempers flaring when our community here is based on helping each other.

Sorry if I shouldn't be asking for this.

Post subject: Re: Political threads...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:11 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: ____
Adding my 2 cents...whether or not they're needed...

I don't believe tempers need to 'flare'. I believe there are too many people taking this all way too personally, and getting worked up for no good reason.

And the reason that I personally would prefer to discuss this type of thing at Pontiac Bonneville Club is because I know most of the members here, in one form or another. Its familiarity. Would you rather go discuss your day with a friend or a stranger?

That is, of course, not the obvious reason, which is that most of those sites are overtaken by many MORE people who take the same stuff, far too personally, and get, once again, worked up unnecessarily.

Sorry to slightly hijack that Josh, just feel that two sides need to be equally represented in all cases so that a general consensus opinion can be made into rule...since I don't believe this is a place of absolute rule, and it still retains some sort of member based opinion.

Then: '07 Ford Fusion SEL | 221hp Gen I VVT Duratec 3.0 V6 | Tungsten Silver | 150k
Then: '99 Toyota Avalon XL | 200hp 1MZ-FE 3.0 V6 | Diamond White | 189k | Sold: July 2015
Then: '11 Ford Fusion SEL | 240hp Gen II VVT Duratec 3.0 V6 | Ingot Silver | 84k | Totaled: Oct 23 '14 (Rear-Ended)
Then: '96 Buick Park Avenue Ultra | 240hp Series II L67 | Medium Dark Lichen | Bought: JAN 11 @ 135k | Accident: FEB 3 '12 | Crushed: MAR 1 '13 @ 153K
Then: '98 Pontiac Bonneville SSE | 205hp Series II 3800 L36 | Topaz Firemist | Bought: NOV '09 @ 74k | Accident: MAY 28 '10 | Crushed: MAR 15 '11 @ 84k
Then: '93 Pontiac Bonneville SE | 170hp Series I 3800 L27 | Dark Yellow Green | Bought: JULY '07 @ 92k | Sold: JULY '12 @ 118k
Then: '89 Pontiac Bonneville LE | 165hp 3800 LN3 | Medium Garnet Red | Bought: JAN '05 @ 117k | Sold: SEP 30 '07 @ 152k

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:10 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Your opinion is not a hijack at all. Opinions on this are welcome.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:25 am 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 1990 Bonneville LE
I agree. The conversations in the lounge are best left open to all. Some folks are offended, but you can't walk down the street without offending someone. The topic doesn't have to be politics. How heated the arguments get is subjective. Take me for example, Jim takes pleasure at taking pot-shots at my point of view and it doesn't bother me. I just shovel it right back (hopefully with a better use of logic, but usually laughing in the process.)

If it degraded in a shouting match of obscenities (like "Jim, you are a liberal Canadian dueschbag") then yeah, that's crossing the line of civil behaviour.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:36 am 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 1997 SE
clm2112 wrote:
...If it degraded in a shouting match of obscenities (like "Jim, you are a liberal Canadian dueschbag") then yeah, that's crossing the line of civil behaviour.

:laughing3: :laughing3:

Thanks for the laugh, Curt. Fine example of deft underhandedness! :beerchug:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:14 am 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 1990 Bonneville LE
lash wrote:
Thanks for the laugh, Curt. Fine example of deft underhandedness! :beerchug:

No sweat Mike, though, I cannot take credit for it. I paraphrased something Jim said about himself a scant few weeks back.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:44 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: 2001 Pontiac Bonneville SE
I agree, it is absolutely unnecessary to issue a blanket "NO POLITICAL THREADS" rule on Pontiac Bonneville Club. Like I said in a previous post, there is NO reason that calm, debative, constructive conversation about ANY topic cannot take place on this forum. If you don't like the topic, or what people are saying in regards to it, you CLEARLY have the choice to NOT click that particular topic and ignore it completely. Welcome to America - the land of FREE SPEECH and CHOICE.

The debate of different points of view is CRITICAL to the success of our election process. Attacks should certainly not be allowed, but it's quite unfair to say to people who enjoy political debate (and there are quite a few of us) that we can't talk about what we wish, because of a scant few. People should learn to control tempers and simply talk about the different points of a topic.

If anything, I would support a temporary "Political" section so that people who don't wish to see or engage in topics of that nature won't even be bothered with them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:44 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Consider my opinion changed. I'm definitely not one to want to trample on the right of free speech. I just didn't like seeing all the arguments it was causing. This only gives more work for the mods/admins to worry about if a thread should be locked, etc...

Just keep it friendly guys! :P :beerchug:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:03 am 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Location: Oregon WCBF'04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11 Survivor
Year and Trim: .
93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
Now that this is conveniently over......

:laughing3:

Your Admin/Mod Staff are all very diverse in population with regards to political opinion and affiliation. We judge the potential of political topics based on their post content. Discussing issues is fine until the first fanatic goes over the edge. It's a tough job, but we get paid well to do it.

PontiacDad at WCBF '04: Cruise control? That's like surrendering!
Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:58 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

willwren wrote:
Now that this is conveniently over......

x2... lol