It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:27 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 95 SLE
We had this on BPro and I thought it was a great idea, especially for specialty tools pertaining to our cars.

98 Infiniti vq35'd i30: 13.3@104mph, 30MPG Hwy (RIP)
02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
07 Infiniti G35s 6MT (Sold)
07 Ducati Monster S2R 800 with DS1000 swap
83 Yamaha IT175K
72 Yamaha DS7: '74 RD250 swap, JL chambers

Info on dropping a 92-99: Here.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:12 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
I'm on board with this.

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:16 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT
As a tool nut, yes.

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2019 Chrysler Pacifica Limited: Mommy's new RGC
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Kids new RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Sold to neighbor
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500: Doeskin Tan - 8.1L Big Block... new plow truck
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:51 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 1988 LE
I think it would be a good touch to the site. Just make sure to weed out any COO wars, I get enough of that over at the GJ forums.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:59 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

COO?

2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:15 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 95 SLE
Country of origin? If it was made overseas or not?

98 Infiniti vq35'd i30: 13.3@104mph, 30MPG Hwy (RIP)
02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
07 Infiniti G35s 6MT (Sold)
07 Ducati Monster S2R 800 with DS1000 swap
83 Yamaha IT175K
72 Yamaha DS7: '74 RD250 swap, JL chambers

Info on dropping a 92-99: Here.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:37 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Oh, got it...

I guess I see it as though everything, including our own product (for the most part), comes from China, so...

Daily Drivers:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:02 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi
I also agree that this is a great idea. Whenever I buy tools I look for the one that has the best user reviews. Any company can say their tools are the best, but it all comes down to how well they actually perform in real world scenarios.

Appearance: "Supercharged" 3rd Brake Overlay, LED Interior Lights, RallyArmor Splash Guards, Red Calipers, HID retrofit, black GXP rims
Audio: Nothing... yet!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:59 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2010 TDi
Yeah, and then we can make a "Share your tool box" Thread!

Edit: and a "Share your Workbench" thread!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:37 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2001 BMW 330i
ZSP Sport Pack
Moonroof
Maybe a general product/service review area? There's so much out there in the automotive sector where it's hard to decide what's the best option to go with.

- Titanium Silver - Sport Package - 3 Pedals - Koni Yellow/H&R Sport
2006 Volkswagen GTI - (gone) Tornado Red - DSG, Stage II~280hp/325tq
1993 Pontiac Bonneville - (gone) Purple Pearl H4U/SLE. Loud

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:30 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Part of the problem now is too, there is soo much specialty tools out there now. Kent Moore, Lisle, etc, all make specialty stuff specific to engines and manufacturers specs. So that skews things.

However, from my days of putting food on the table and clothes on my back by working in service, I won't use anything but Snap-On (preferred), or Mac or Matco as secondary choices. And I work for Sears! We oft get into these topics here and I actually bring in my Snap-On pieces as well as an equivalent Craftsman to show them what separates the two.

Daily Drivers:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:08 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2010 TDi
CMNTMXR57 wrote:
However, from my days of putting food on the table and clothes on my back by working in service, I won't use anything but Snap-On (preferred), or Mac or Matco as secondary choices. And I work for Sears! We oft get into these topics here and I actually bring in my Snap-On pieces as well as an equivalent Craftsman to show them what separates the two.

With that being said, what tools are worth the money to buy Snap-On verses other brands that are good enough for even entry level shop work?(Craftsman)

I'm asking for specifics, not generalities.

I've invested in SO ratchets and TQ wrenches (even though SO doesn't make their own). Wondering what else is worth the extra investment and hassle should they break.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:11 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

corvettecrazy wrote:
CMNTMXR57 wrote:

With that being said, what tools are worth the money to buy Snap-On verses other brands that are good enough for even entry level shop work?(Craftsman)

I've invested in SO ratchets and TQ wrenches (even though SO doesn't make their own). Wondering what else is worth the extra investment and hassle should they break.

Buy what works for you. I'll be heading into the field soon either as a Cadillac or Mercedes Benz tech and Craftsman has worked just fine for me. There are many opinions on it but don't let others pressure you into buying the absolute best and everything else be *dang*. If anything, the tool trucks are good for specialty tools specific to manufacturers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:38 am 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 1998 Buick Park Avenue
If you are a full time professional mechanic/technician then only the very best will do, Snap On, Facom, Stahwille, James Neil, most developed industrial nations have their own excellent tool manufacturers. Use whichever you like, all top quality tools carry lifetime guarantees which will be honoured without question in the very rare event of failure.

If you are a weekend hobby mechanic there is no need to go to this expense, if a tool fails that doesn't mean you can't finish a job for which you are being paid a tech's salary. Plenty of decent quality tools available from auto parts stores, Sears etc at reasonable prices.

If you buy tools from Dollar General or similar cut price stores you will get poorly made ill fitting tools that might cause more problems if they round off a tight fitting bolt head for example.
I have bought such tools when I've been stuck away from home without my tools, if they get me going again they will have paid for themselves.

You might liken this to buying tires for your car, if you are a high mileage driver using your car to make a living it pays long term to buy the best tires available, If you only drive a few miles a week and don't open it up on the highway budget tires might make more sense.

Roger.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:45 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

corvettecrazy wrote:
CMNTMXR57 wrote:

A couple of the posters after me pretty much hit the nail on the head.

If you're doing it as a profession (which I was), you want the best and most efficient tool available. Those are generally the Snap-On, Mac, and Matco tools. You could throw in Cornwell there too. You get paid via a book time. Meaning, in many ways, you're paid to push metal through the pipeline (I.E. the service department). If your tools are inefficient and can't get the job done quickly and correctly because of "slop" in their mechanisms which cause you to take more time to get the job done and work around things other ways, you're losing money and the guy who can work quickly and efficiently will get the next car in line...

If you're a weekend warrior, home owner, etc, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Craftsman. I have plenty of general Craftsman tools that I use around the house. Mainly because I get them for dirt cheap in our sample store and they work great for their intended use. But when I'm working on cars, the Craftsman stay in the cabinet. However, please buy them, it keeps me employed. :banana:

What makes the difference is the overall precision between a Snap-On/Mac/Matco and a Craftsman. Albeit we (Craftsman), now have a nice professional grade ratchet that is a pretty nice unit too and I will probably pick one up.

I will compare to Snap-On as that is what I have and am familiar with (family used to work at Snap-On HQ so I spent quite a bit of time doing research on the product too)...

A simple 3/8th's inch ratch for example;
1) Degree of rotation between clicks: Snap-On takes 4.5* of rotation for each click. A standard Craftsman is upwards of 8* - 10* (depending on model). That may seem insignifigant, but when you're in tight confines and only have a smidge of room to rotate the handle any bit, 4.5* vs. 10* is a HUGE issue. And yes, many GM vehicles are extremely tight to work on, especially in FWD applications.

2) Pawl Contact: 7 gear teeth are always in contact with the pawl internally on the Snap-On (which is where the strength comes in), I think Craftsman is only 4.

3) Total teeth: Snap-On 80, regular Craftsman 45, Craftsman pro (this is a really nice ratchet BTW), 84.

4) Head size: Snap-On's are compact, dependent on Craftsman model, they can be fairly large. Again in tight confines, especially as engines and engine bays keep getting more complex and compact, this is a critical component.

4) Both offer multiple styles, heads, handle options, but here is also no contest. A Snap-On/Mac/Matco offers endless varieties of ratchets, from flex head, bent handles, to palmies and thumbies (literally ratchets you use with your fingers when even having a handle is too much). Crow-feet ratchet heads in fixed and flex varieties to boot.

5) Snap-On sells rebuild kits for their ratchets $(10 - $15), allowing you to repair them yourself if it is deemed that it's lifetime replacement warranty isn't needed.

For wrenches;
1) Flank Drive: Snap-On yes. Craftsman no as they're a conventional setup.

What is flank drive (this also can apply to Snap-On sockets too)? When you're using a wrench, and you're applying your torque, your concentrating your energy on the corners of the bolt/nut. This is the weakest point of the socket where failure typically results and this is where damage to the bolt/nut occurs in the form of rounding off. Flank drive eliminates this, by providing flat face to face contact with the bolt/nut conectrating your energies there and eliminatiing wrench/socket failure and potential rounding off of the bolt/nut.

Where I DON'T buy Snap-On is on their power tool side and that is one area where Craftsman betters them, especially anything in the C3 line. There isn't anything wrong with the Snap-On/Blue point stuff, just that it usually is rebranded and replacement parts are not easy to come by to start with (not just because it's from Snap-On). I know, I have several Snap-On cordless tools and it is a PITA. On the other hand, I'm loving my Craftsman C3 tools, particularly my cordless impact. 1/2 drive, 200lb/ft of torque. I upgraded to the Lithium-Ion XCP battery and it runs forever on the charge changing wheels and suspension parts endlessly and since then I've been snapping up other C3 tools when I see them in the sample store.

Daily Drivers:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:36 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

I fully respect opinions on this but what I was always taught was, "Its not the tools that make the mechanic, its a knowledgeable mechanic using the correct tool for the job that makes him". There are bad mechanics out there who have a truck load of Snap On but can't turn a wrench without snapping something as there are good mechanics out there who are great at what they do.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:59 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Yea, I worked with all of them it would seem...

Daily Drivers:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:00 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
I've been using Kobalt - lifetime hassle free warranty. They are similar quality lately to craftsman, but I have some of the older sets of their tools which were made by Danaher Corp. (who owns Matco), and there is a big difference in quality.

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:49 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
On the subject of power tools, I LOVE my new Milwaukee M12 Fuel cordless small impact. Brushless motor, even with the tiny batteries it has it lasts forever, and it has a ton of power for its size. We got a set of the M18 tools for at home as well (Drill, Impact, Sawzall, Circular Saw, Grinder and light) and all the tools are awesome. This all replaced our C3 Craftsman stuff, which was good and lasted a long time, but the Milwaukee stuff is amazing.

My next tool will be a M12 3/8" Ratchet.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:36 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
For what it's worth, I think a tool review and/or a tool comment section would be great. Some tools, especially the specialty ones that the professionals know about and the weekend "warrior" don't, would be of great help to someone like me. - BC