It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:01 am 
Banned

Year and Trim: 1994 SLE
Recently I posted a "poll type" question in the forums (the post about engine oil type preferred). That kind post draws a lot of response, but perhaps only from people passionate about their position and many will simply avoid reading the post because it's not worth the effort to manually extract the results from dozens of posts. Polls are a solution to the dilemma: More people participate because it is efficient to take the poll and view the summarized results and the participation increases as time goes on without a lot of empty rhetoric posts and associated disk space. A potential downside of poll technology is that it could be used for voting where such practice is undesireable or unwanted. Also, if "beertalk" rather than information is the goal, then polls are not needed.

Personally, if the site just wanted to be threaded discussion, I'd prefer USENET (it's limited in other ways, but for threaded discussion, still argubly best) because web interfaces suck for threaded discussion, IMO (but I'm not alone in that thought). The only real addition via web interface is "stickies" which of course could be handled simply with pdf files.

There are a number of technologies that can work synergistically to produce high quality interactive websites. I've noted three in my posts here now as potentially fundamental: threaded discussion, wikis, polls. (Note that I am a software developer, and while envisioning the future of applications is what I do, the software I currently develop is not in the domain of the web, though something that improves wildly on USENET for power users is definitely not off the radar for me).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:12 am 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Location: Oregon WCBF'04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11 Survivor
Year and Trim: .
93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
Tony, we are not changing the forum software or format away from phpBB any time in the near future. It's what OUR development team prefers.

PontiacDad at WCBF '04: Cruise control? That's like surrendering!
Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:19 am 
Banned

willwren wrote:
Tony, we are not changing the forum software or format away from phpBB any time in the near future. It's what OUR development team prefers.

And the purpose of this suggestion area is.... what then if you don't want suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:35 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: 2002 SLE
They want suggestions, but the answer to every suggestion is not yes. Many of mine have been shot down also. it happens, This forum works great for us as is. PHPbb has many features that we are not taking advantage of currently, but some new things are in the works, and we are constantly improving. We also need to consider user friendliness, this is what everyone is used to.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:16 am 
Banned

bonnevillain wrote:
They want suggestions, but the answer to every suggestion is not yes. Many of mine have been shot down also. it happens, This forum works great for us as is.

Who is this nebulous "us"?!

bonnevillain wrote:
PHPbb has many features that we are not taking advantage of currently, but some new things are in the works, and we are constantly improving. .

This site follows technology (understatement of the year). The best sites "create" technology (create the need).

bonnevillain wrote:
We also need to consider user friendliness, this is what everyone is used to.

Perhaps naivete as to what going from BB to web means in regards to scalability and responsibilty (and other things). I like Wikipedia because it is (as far as I know), public domain.

I don't like "suggestion boxes". It's been a failed concept for... I don't know for how long, yet every neophyte "manager" tries it. "Oh, but it worked, you offered a suggestion!" you say? (Exercise left for the reader).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:28 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: 2002 SLE
the nebulous us is everyone who hasn't been agreeing with you, i guess.

you're a web developer and you see things in a different perspective than the management here, I understand that. They are not out to create technology, just to learn about cars. the current system does that fine.

If suggestion boxes don't work, don't use them

Last edited by bonnevillain on Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:05 am 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Year and Trim: _
Tony, as it's already been mentioned in several of your Suggestion threads, we're not changing the forum software. What we have here works for us and the majority of our membership at large. There's no net gain to change things which would outweigh the effort involved.

If you don't like our forum then you'll need to hang your hat somewhere that utilizes the technology you prefer.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]