It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Recommendation: Wiki
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:53 am 
Banned

Year and Trim: 1994 SLE
Wiki. Need I say more? I will anyway. The site and topics are begging for that. Remember I said I had composed over one hour a post about disc brake maintenance? Well maybe a lesser amount of time spent on updating a wiki would be .. well of course it would be better and non-redundant and valuable. Keyword: knowledgebase. I won't go into the benefits of hosting a site wiki (because surely you as admins know all about that?). Of course this site's contents would have to be in the public domain for that to work (no one gives up IP to someone else to capitalize on. Um, no one naive anyway).

Post subject: Re: Recommendation: Wiki
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:11 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Location: ............ Granville, Ohio/Erie, PA *WCBF '08 SURVIVOR* *NEBF '07 SURVIVOR*
Year and Trim: .
2013 Audi A4 6MT
This post is a bit demeaning, but I'll reply to it anyways... The techinfo at the bottom of our forum has all the information that a wiki would have, but it's sorted by category and is much more organized. Also, it would be a pain to moderate such a site because people would modify the site with incorrect or unproven information, which I believe is a real fault of all wikis in general.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:20 pm 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Location: Oregon WCBF'04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11 Survivor
93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
WIKI type formats do not suit our purpose. The definition of the term 'forum' relies on human interaction, discussion, and debate. WIKI is very weak in that category, which is why internet forums exist. This site is not simply a reference tool. It's a discussion board.

PontiacDad at WCBF '04: Cruise control? That's like surrendering!
Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:33 am 
Banned

petraman wrote:
This post is a bit demeaning,

Not intended to be.

petraman wrote:
but I'll reply to it anyways... The techinfo at the bottom of our forum has all the information that a wiki would have, but it's sorted by category and is much more organized.

But "static" in that the quality of the information doesn't improve over time (i.e., info is limited to that which a small subset of the potential contributors document).

petraman wrote:
Also, it would be a pain to moderate such a site because people would modify the site with incorrect or unproven information, which I believe is a real fault of all wikis in general.

I haven't setup a wiki yet, but I have used them and know that edits to the wiki information go through an approval process. Wikipedia is evolving/has evovled it's processes with the goal of getting the highest quality content.

willwren wrote:
WIKI type formats do not suit our purpose. The definition of the term 'forum' relies on human interaction, discussion, and debate. WIKI is very weak in that category, which is why internet forums exist. This site is not simply a reference tool. It's a discussion board.

Forums and wikis are complementary: threaded discussion, with a "low signal to noise ratio" in practice, gets distilled into highly organized and current wiki content. Knowledge management and growth and continuous improvement and the like apply.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:15 am 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Location: Oregon WCBF'04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11 Survivor
93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
Tony, we tried a wiki format for Techinfo on the old forum before we left. It was cumbersome, troublesome, and difficult to manage. We have our Techinfo set up here to allow all of our Gearheads to post, edit, and delete in that section. They do so as a team, and have a hidden section of the forum where they can discuss Techinfo articles (both existing and new) among other things.

What we have is set up for a reason, because it's easy for our Gearheads to manage the data. It's built the way it is because it works for us as a team, and that was determined by years of experience. Some members of our Staff have been doing this for the Bonneville community since 2002.

Please try to enjoy our Forum in it's current format. 99.9% of our members, if polled, would vote for no change to the current format. That's another reason it is what it is.

PontiacDad at WCBF '04: Cruise control? That's like surrendering!
Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

Last edited by willwren on Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:13 am 
Banned

willwren wrote:
Tony, we tried a wiki format for Techinfo on the old forum before we left. It was cumbersome, troublesome, and difficult to manage.

Your experience with existing "knowledge management" products noted. Self-administering" knowledge/interactive sites are possible (that's not to say "chaos reigns" rather than information correctness and quality), just as zero-admin databases are now common where previously database administration was much more manual. While the field of KM is evolved, the tools and implementations are in their infancy. Of course, if the required apriori knowledge isn't there, than it is not expected that the products/tools will be of any benefit (e.g., Just buying AutoCad will not make one an architect or engineer).

willwren wrote:
We have our Techinfo set up here to allow all of our Gearheads to post, edit, and delete in that section. They do so as a team, and have a hidden section of the forum where they can discuss Techinfo articles (both existing and new) among other things. What we have is set up for a reason, because it's easy for our Gearheads to manage the data. It's built the way it is because it works for us as a team, and that was determined by years of experience. Some members of our Staff have been doing this for the Bonneville community since 2002.

Are the "Gearheads" ... well what are they? So they are the same as moderators in moderated USENET groups? Yes? If so, then now I have an idea of this site: A USENET moderated newsgroup with a web interface, and with "stickies". Would that be correct? Is there more?

willwren wrote:
Please try to enjoy our Forum in it's current format. 99.9% of our members, if polled, would vote for no change to the current format. That's another reason it is what it is.

That's "interesting".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:29 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Location: ............ Granville, Ohio/Erie, PA *WCBF '08 SURVIVOR* *NEBF '07 SURVIVOR*
2013 Audi A4 6MT
This seems like more of a personal agenda than to make a change for the better of the community. If it ain't broke, why fix it? This format has worked for us since 2002, and to change it would be a waste of time.

I personally think newsgroups should be phased out. Web forums were created by building upon newsgroups, changing it to be better organized and easier to archive. You don't have to have a newsreader to read posts, and having a central server to archive everything allows you to search a lot easier.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:56 am 
Banned

petraman wrote:
This seems like more of a personal agenda than to make a change for the better of the community.

Certainly any agenda is your own. I am "experienced in the field of Knowledge Management" (self-proclaimed) and software development (and other things). If I'm making a suggestion, I assure you there is much more to the concept than ad hoc idea.

petraman wrote:
If it ain't broke, why fix it?

The problem with cliches is, that they are cliches: There is no "substance" in cliche.

petraman wrote:
This format has worked for us since 2002

Who is "us"? I thought I was "us": I have a '94 Bonnie and "my ride" is a bit more than just a way to get from point A to point B.

petraman wrote:
, and to change it would be a waste of time.

Needs justification. Or did you mean that as your unqualified opinion?

petraman wrote:
I personally think newsgroups should be phased out. Web forums were created by building upon newsgroups, changing it to be better organized and easier to archive. You don't have to have a newsreader to read posts, and having a central server to archive everything allows you to search a lot easier.

Now you're in my domain. Of course in another thread I stated that I think web interfaces suck. But, alas, that is not a discussion for here. (As a "forced" user here, I can't help but note (privately) why they suck).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:07 am 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Year and Trim: _
Enough. :roll:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]