It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:31 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 95 SLE
Don, you're nuts.. But not as nuts as this guy:
http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=4565388

There's also a L67 Montana running around too.

98 Infiniti vq35'd i30: 13.3@104mph, 30MPG Hwy (RIP)
02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
07 Infiniti G35s 6MT (Sold)
07 Ducati Monster S2R 800 with DS1000 swap
83 Yamaha IT175K
72 Yamaha DS7: '74 RD250 swap, JL chambers

Info on dropping a 92-99: Here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:07 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 00 Regal
Curt..I like your creative thinking about donors

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:15 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 1994 SSEi 1999 SLE
From that link:
Quote:
Quote:
his ist direct bolt in but not to far off from being so. it needs a gp wire harnes and other 3.8L swap parts as well as some custom wiring done to the wire harness by the brake booster heading into the cabin. motor phisically bolts to the subframe though.

The wiring is cake honestly, You had a 3400 as it is.... All you need to do is change over some connectors, repin a few pins on the ecu, and call it a day.

Looks like you should be able to use a 3400 wiring harness. This guy is wiring up his van with a 4T65E-HD and an L36. Something you'd like to do?

68 Chevy C-10 - Free truck! Needs parts.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:22 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 2007 Grand Prix GT
Next on the mod list should be side pipes and swoopies :twisted:

2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS (project BlackSheep) Bone stock for now, 5 spd and fun as hell! (Gf's Ride)
1996 Pontiac Bonneville SE Gone but not forgotten
1997 Dodge Ram Sport 4x4 5.9L The Beast!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:25 pm 
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin

Year and Trim: 03 SLE, 95 SE, 95 TS SE
On the Van there is no mount under the Compressor.... It uses a fluid filled mount like the W Bodies and a U bracket that wraps around the oil pan/block...

There is a Dog Bone on the header panel on the passenger side, The Fluid filled mount under the oil pan, and 2 Transmission mounts..

I think it should be easy to bolt a series II in there.. May have to field a few parts tho and possibly make them work..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:26 pm 

Roadtech195 wrote:
Next on the mod list should be side pipes and swoopies :twisted:

I would love swoopies, but the Van can't wear them... Its got issues with 16" and 225's..LOL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:28 pm 

Year and Trim: 09 G8 GT
95naSTA wrote:
Don, you're nuts.. But not as nuts as this guy:
http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=4565388

There's also a L67 Montana running around too.

DUDE, THAT'S EPIC :hail:

09 Lexus LS460 AWD -- 94,000km -- Daily Driver
09 White Hot G8 GT -- 155,000km (fuelly) -- LS3 Cam -- GM LS3 CNC Ported Heads -- Kooks 1 3/4" Long Tube Headers -- Solo Catback Midsection -- Hooker Maxflow Mufflers -- Pat G Tune -- Rotofab Intake -- Tein S-Tech Springs -- GXP FE3 Dampers -- BMR Subframe Cradle Inserts -- BMR Subframe Connectors -- Forgestar F14 Gold 18x9 +40 -- Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/45/18 -- Maverick Man Carbon Fiber Spoiler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:41 pm 

And yet again I had to do more work to this van.... Something started squealing under the hood.... Come to find out the Bearings in my 140 Alt took a crap... I installed a spare 110... It'll live...lol

I keep hearing L67... And thats a thought for sure and I would soo love it.. I know that the L27 thats in there isn't going to be long lived.. It has issues that aren't good, but most likely it will run for a good bit...

we have chatted and are thinking about using an L26 Longblock or low mileage L36 if I can find one... Possibly a small cam and some of the minor mods and a 3.05- 3.29 gear ratio along with the upgrade to OBD2... I do want to keep this van as a daily driver with a small fun factor..

If I found an L67 cheap enough I would consider it... Money is an object here and I am not going to get too carried away.. :wink: But it would be nice to make someone look at the van twice with a :bluetwitch:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:02 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

In that case..I would suggest looking for a crashed car. Always cheap and you can get most of the wiring etc at the same time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:47 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi w/ 99K
Don..its only a problem if you admit to it LOL. And, everything is possible with time, money, and knowledge. Is the trans still acting up when heated? Did you get that larger cooler installed?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:45 pm 

lunchboxx wrote:
Don..its only a problem if you admit to it LOL. And, everything is possible with time, money, and knowledge. Is the trans still acting up when heated? Did you get that larger cooler installed?

It has not acted up since... No further issues... Changed the fluid and everything on it and its been fine..

But the L27 Now has a wonderful rod tap and very low oil pressure.... Oil pressure started tanking 1 week ago.. Been downhill from there... Van will be parked... I will simplify my life and remedy the problem quickly by doing an engine swap that no one wants to see me do... Its most likely going to get an L26 with L36 Upper and a 95 Bonneville L36 Programed E Prom for the time being.. At the least with the L26 it will have the Powered metal rods instead of the cast rods..

I just want this thing driveable.. So here it is, yet another L27 Bites the dust :evil:

Last edited by Jrs3800 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:47 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: '00 SSEi (proj), '99 Tahoe & '05 Bonne GXP
Hmmm...watcha gonna do about them purty rockers you just put on there?

BonneMe wrote:
Looks like a Volt, Sonata, and Taurus got it on.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:58 pm 

sandrock wrote:
Hmmm...watcha gonna do about them purty rockers you just put on there?

I was thinking that the 91, when it get together again I may just Plug the PCV ports in the heads and slap the heads on the 91 and toss on the rockers for S***s and giggles... I have a head gasket set.. All I really need are the head bolts...

But I will concentrate on the Van first..

If I really get tired of these 3800's I may just sell the rockers and say the H*** with it...lol

The sad thing is that the LN3's seem to run forever... The L27.... From what I have seem they either run forever or never make it to 200k...

Last edited by Jrs3800 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:31 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 1994 SSEi 1999 SLE
Just a thought: Would you care to go for an L26 upper intake manifold? That with an L67 throttle body gives you more power based on agrazela's volumetric efficiency tests. You can either use the TB vacuum line connections or make new ones on the L26 UIM. Everything else seems to be plug-and-play. I noticed you were looking at modding the van with its L27, so you should continue modding it with the L26.

68 Chevy C-10 - Free truck! Needs parts.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:55 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: '00 SSEi (proj), '99 Tahoe & '05 Bonne GXP
For simplicities sake, we will go with the L36 upper. You have to keep in mind that in this van, there isn't much room for an intake system. Going the L26 upper route effectively cuts what we have to work with in half, as far as length is concerned. We also found a spot to park an OBD2 computer in the engine bay, so we may very well go the OBD2 route.

Based on what has been discussed (and Don, feel free to correct, this is your van afterall), this is how the plan is shaping up...

1) L26 longblock, 4T60E w/ 3.33 gearing. Should provide a nice zoom-zoom factor for around the towning.

2) Either use a 1995 L36 harness, mated to the 1995 Transport firewall connection, and use the 95 PCM with a modified Bonneville L36 chip, or a 1997 L36 harness and OBD2 computer, depending on total cost. Amount of solder work to make either one functional are about the same.

3) May have to relocate the battery to make way for a new filter system. The current filter system leaves much to be desired.

4) Downpipe will have to be a custom job, though we will need to see the complete downpipe from the van to be certain.

5) Cruise control will need to be modified.

BonneMe wrote:
Looks like a Volt, Sonata, and Taurus got it on.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:01 pm 

I did mod the L27.... Thats part of the problem.. The WOT 1-2 shifts are brutal... And the motor ran good.. But I think it had already seen its better days..

Honestly I could run thicker oil in it and get away with it... But I do not want to destroy the engine either..

I may be interested in the L26 upper with the L67 TB in the future... But right now Cost is a big concern for me... I will mod a lower intake I have for the L26 and install Aluminum gaskets while I am there... For the next year or so I simply need the van to be a very reliable driver with a tad of fun factor.. Being that the cradle will be dropped I will go to the 3.33 gears with the L26.. I think this will take a bit of the heavy grunt off the engine and make it easier for the L26 to pull the van around... At the same time I think it will leave less strain on the trans as well..

As I was looking into the cost of an L36 rebuild... I knew it would easily top $1000 for a basic rebuild... I was searching for L36's and decided to search for L26's... I was finding L26's for $500( Low Mileage ) And from a very reputable wrecker..

Right now I have a 91 LE thats wrecked and I don't have the time to fix it( I will start in the near future ) So here it is I have a wrecked car, I have a van thats going to puke a rod bearing soon( light knock is present at idle )... The 95 is being driven by my mother as the 91 is wrecked... Now I am going to be driving the 92 Mitsu... I thought I would get enough life out of the old L27 to carry me to the early part of the year so I could do the swap I wanted.. But the oil pressure dropped and a light knock appeared.. So my plans are changed once again..

Gonna have to register at Motor swap and see what they do as far as dropping the cradle engine trans and all is concerned...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:10 pm 

sandrock wrote:
For simplicities sake, we will go with the L36 upper. You have to keep in mind that in this van, there isn't much room for an intake system. Going the L26 upper route effectively cuts what we have to work with in half, as far as length is concerned. We also found a spot to park an OBD2 computer in the engine bay, so we may very well go the OBD2 route.

Based on what has been discussed (and Don, feel free to correct, this is your van afterall), this is how the plan is shaping up...

1) L26 longblock, 4T60E w/ 3.33 gearing. Should provide a nice zoom-zoom factor for around the towning.

Yes we will go with the L26 and the 3.33 ratio... I will have to yank the side pan and swap to the 35/35 drive and driven..( $14 gasket )

2) Either use a 1995 L36 harness, mated to the 1995 Transport firewall connection, and use the 95 PCM with a modified Bonneville L36 chip, or a 1997 L36 harness and OBD2 computer, depending on total cost. Amount of solder work to make either one functional are about the same.

I am on the fence with this.. When you get back from NY and we have the time we need to sit down and have a look at the L27 1995 Wiring harness and the 1995 L36 wiring harness and see what the differences are.. If we could do the wiring and PCM cheap enough I may be very willing to go the OBD2 route... I'd be happy if we could find a 1996 U Body :)

3) May have to relocate the battery to make way for a new filter system. The current filter system leaves much to be desired.

4) Downpipe will have to be a custom job, though we will need to see the complete downpipe from the van to be certain.

5) Cruise control will need to be modified.

Adding a little more... Brad I believe you still have your stock L36 Throttle body, This would also come in handy for the OBD2 swap if we go that route.. I am going to order a New Upper intake tonight so that I will have it.. The Vans motor mount and the W body mount look quite close to the same.. Might get lucky there.. The Down pipe will possibly have to be custom or we'll have to scout a down pipe and get creative.. Then do we use the 95-96 Rear manifold or the 97-99 manifold..( I have both laying around and a W body one )

Last edited by Jrs3800 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:08 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2012 Nissan Maxima SV Premium
*dang* Don...sorry to hear your van's motor kicked. :sad5:

Look forward to seeing it with Series II/III power though! :wink:

2012 Nissan Maxima SV Premium • Super Black • Charcoal • VQ35DE • Bose • Factory HID • 5000k LED Int/Ext
_

Image__I n n o v a t i o n__T h a t __E x c i t e s

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:13 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Don.. if you grab a flight, there's an L67 drivetrain sitting in my garage that could be driven to Florida. It's ready to go with new UIM, LIM and VC gaskets.

Instead of ordering that L36 UIM, I'd ask that you reconsider the L26 upper. It's an easy thing to add the TB spacer in and be done. You are looking for a different intake, this is the chance to keep from redoing it down the road. It stops you from ever needing to spend another $100 for another UIM. The metal will never suffer a rupture of the EGR area and flood the motor with coolant.

If I can be of any help on the wiring, holler.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:14 pm 

Too late Bill... LOL... Already ordered an intake... But I am going to keep the Aluminum Upper for future mods...

On the wiring we may require info on the wiring... The 1996 Vans used the same PCM as the 97, but it was parked in the same location as my 95 Transports PCM..

But the PCM may get parked under the hood...

I need to look at the wiring of the 95 Bonneville L36 Engine and the 95 Transport L27... I think they are very close to the same.. Might have to extend a few wires and add 1 to the mix..

If I am dead set I can have curt burn a 1995 L36 tune to the EPROM and run it that way..

Brad wants to see it run the OBD2 1997 PCM and I do like that from the tuneability standpoint.. I would also go with the V5 Compressor and the newer lock up strategy wich would require the Carbon Clutch Torque converter, or Possibly the 4T65-E's Woven Graphite Clutch Torque Converter to allow for the Trans to hit lock up at lower roadspeeds and PRM's..

At this point there is no doubt that the motor is tanking... I changed the oil and hark what doseth appearth in thouth oil... Copper and happy metal flakes... Not a whole lot but enough to let you know its on its last leg.. It had 20-50 oil in it now... Its quieter and has more oil pressure... But that will be short lived.. Its parked... I'll take it to pick up the motor.. I know it will last longer than that, but I am not driving it unless I need to... :roll: