It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: '03 SSEi - Vacuum Hose
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:30 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: '03 SSEi
Hello Everyone (Newbie here),

I have quite an interesting "issue". The Red Vacuum Line right above the Oil Fill (Please see URL Below for reference) plugs into the left right below the Spark Plugs Wires and than plugs into a part (Sorry I do not know what it is) right behind the Light Blue Plug just above to the right of the Oil Fill.

Here is where the fun begins: When it's plugged in, the RPMs and Boost Gage will start to fluctuate (down and back to normal) along with getting a P0401.
When it's Unplugged NONE of this happens and she runs just fine. The line itself is fine (not clogged or cracked). Also, for other maintenance the EGR Valve and TPS have been replaced, so I know those have nothing to do with it because this was happening before replacing those.

So, the million dollar question is...Do I just leave it unplugged? My guess is no, since it's plugged in and there for a reason, but I have no idea where the problem lies...Is it on the left of the line or the right, since it's a "middle" line?

Please Help...TIA

Chris (New Berlin, WI)

https://hpsimotorsports.com/products/hp ... -1998-2003

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:08 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
That line supplies manifold-pressure air to the boost control solenoid (BCS). If your boost acts weird at idle when hooked up, your BCS is bad most likely. Try plugging the line back into the BCS (part with the light blue clip) and unplug the wiring from the BCS. I bet it runs fine like that too. But with the check engine light, I'm sure.

Or take the short vacuum line off from between the driver side of the BCS and the black canister (boost control actuator - BCA). I bet if acts fine then too.

Either way, any unplugged vacuum line should be plugged back onto where it goes or plugged some other way, so that the computer has an easier time getting the air-fuel mixture right.

You can get a new BCS for not a lot of money.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 2&pt=17199

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers and 10" Subs, 1300 watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:45 am 
LE Member

Fantastic, thank you so much.
Now my only dilemma is do I order from RockAuto for $32 but have to wait for it to be delivered or pay about $40 more and pick it up today from a local auto parts store?!?!
Hmmm...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:06 am 
LE Member

I ended up going with RockAuto...Paid for Expedited Shipping and still cheaper than local store. LOL

Thanks again...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:54 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

2009 G8 GT
No problem

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers and 10" Subs, 1300 watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:38 am 
LE Member

Update: Well after giving it a couple weeks and in case anything computer wise needed to be "re-learned" I am still having the same issue after replacing the BCS, with the exception of the RPMs not fluctuating, but all other issues reared their ugly head. And again as soon as I unplug that same vacuum line everything is perfectly fine. Any other ideas? TIA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:08 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

2009 G8 GT
All I'm seeing other than fluctuating in your post is a P0401 (egr flow problem). I don't see how that would be a related issue to the BCS vacuum line. What are the other issues?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:17 pm 
LE Member

Sorry, my response(s) may have not been included. Here is the email trail:

Me: I have quite an interesting "issue". The Red Vacuum Line right above the Oil Fill (Please see URL Below for reference) plugs into the left right below the Spark Plugs Wires and than plugs into a part (Sorry I do not know what it is) right behind the Light Blue Plug just above to the right of the Oil Fill.
When it's plugged in, the RPMs and Boost Gage will start to fluctuate (down and back to normal) along with getting a P0401.
When it's Unplugged NONE of this happens and she runs just fine. The line itself is fine (not clogged or cracked). Also, for other maintenance the EGR Valve and TPS have been replaced, so I know those have nothing to do with it because this was happening before replacing those.
So, the million dollar question is...Do I just leave it unplugged? My guess is no, since it's plugged in and there for a reason, but I have no idea where the problem lies...Is it on the left of the line or the right, since it's a "middle" line?
https://hpsimotorsports.com/products/hp ... -1998-2003

You: That line supplies manifold-pressure air to the boost control solenoid (BCS). If your boost acts weird at idle when hooked up, your BCS is bad most likely. Try plugging the line back into the BCS (part with the light blue clip) and unplug the wiring from the BCS. I bet it runs fine like that too. But with the check engine light, I'm sure. Or take the short vacuum line off from between the driver side of the BCS and the black canister (boost control actuator - BCA). I bet if acts fine then too.
Either way, any unplugged vacuum line should be plugged back onto where it goes or plugged some other way, so that the computer has an easier time getting the air-fuel mixture right.
You can get a new BCS for not a lot of money.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 2&pt=171

Me (Today): After giving it a couple weeks and in case anything computer wise needed to be "re-learned" I am still having the same issue after replacing the BCS, with the exception of the RPMs not fluctuating, but all other issues reared their ugly head. And again as soon as I unplug that same vacuum line everything is perfectly fine.

In a nutshell, the BCS was replaced but this did not fix anything accept the RPMs stopped fluctuating. All other issues (Boost Gage will start to fluctuate (down and back to normal) along with getting a P0401 continue to occur after replacing BCS. And to reiterate, when I do unplug this vacuum line ALL issues stop/clear.

My apologies for the confusion.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:32 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

2009 G8 GT
Here's my theory:

You have an egr problem. It was masked by a bad BCS. With a bad BCS, manifold vacuum is poorly maintained and the pcm isn't able to see the lack of egr flow. When you replaced the BCS and hooked up the vacuum line, the pcm suddenly realized the vacuum levels are wrong when the egr should be flowing.

I know you have replaced the egr. So maybe it was bad out of the box, or maybe the wiring is. Rpms not fluctuating is a sign something is fixed, at least.

What happens if you unplug the egr?

There could be a lot of carbon buildup blocking the egr flow somewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:41 pm 
LE Member

I agree, I believe there is carbon build up somewhere, either the EGR Tube that goes to the Lower Intake or within the Lower Intake itself.
I am hoping it's just buildup within the EGR Tube as opposed to within the Lower Intake, so I'll check the Tube next and go from there.
Thanks for all the help and I will update with results after I clean/replace the Tube, IF that is indeed the culprit, otherwise it will be the Lower Intake to clean.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:31 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

2009 G8 GT
You might wanna give the exposed egr tube a good look for any cracks, too.