It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:44 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1997 Bonneville SSE
Hi, first post here. Won't be the last So, I work in automotive as my profession. I just inherited (given is better term, he is still with us but can't drive anymore) a 1997 Pontiac SSE from my uncle who bought it new. I always helped him with his cars and tried to keep them up. He's in a different part of the state so I did the best I could. I know what the car is worth, but it isn't going to be for sale. It has 30k original miles. OK enough of that. So my last visit about 6 weeks ago, he mentioned his car would not start, or would start and go dead. He lives in a small town, and had several "less than shade tree quality) people try to fix it. Had I know there was a problem I would have taken some basic diagnostic equipment. So went down yesterday with Tech1A and MaxiSys Elite. The battery had been changed (positive cable not correct) air intake not assembled correct, wires handing down from passenger fuse panel. CEL was on for crank sensor -great, clear codes, tried to start, crank, zero start, fuel pressure shrader valve- no pressure, even when cranking or commanding fuel pump. So, if fuel pump bad? I go to the fuel filler, open the lid, command the pump, I hear it running for a couple if seconds yet no FP at the rail ( I know the fuel pump can run and be bad). Gauge is showing 3/4 tank, fuel level reading from PCM is 73 (about 3/4). Well, the pump is a little louder than I would expect. So, I go get two gallons of gas...I know you are ahead of me...cranks and runs fine. Fuel gauge is stuck from sitting. After a few checks, I drove to the gas station and out 5 gallons of gas in it, no change in PCM level rear nor the gauge (I did side to side and hard braking to try to shake the float loose- no luck). I am going to drop the tank and replace the entire sender as a unit...So I get options of a fuel control module have two different codes on it to get the correct sender. I have the FSM, is shows a fuel module held on with one screw, but it doesn't show where the module is located for me to get the code. Can someone tell me where to find the module? So, in addition to that, while running I am getting what appears to be super high fuel tank pressure readings..both with fuel cap on and fuel cap off. So is the fuel tank pressure sensor part of the sending unit? Looks to be a separate part on the FSM . I don't have a smoke tank for the evap, so I am going to have to trace that, is there a common part that fails , EGR solenoid, EGR valve, Purge valve? Remember this car has been sitting so there could be insects or squirrel issues (long shot). Any and all help appreciated. Sorry about the long post. I also believe there is foreign object on the fuel filler tube, I hope I can remove the filler and check it out with the tank out. I see the FSM way to remove the tank, what is the real work way to completely drop the tank. Exhaust bolts are rusted, if I end of taking it down, I would likely replace it. Also, need a drivers entry complete weatherseal in body color RPO IH2 / 562 . I am in North Central Alabama if any members are near!