It is currently Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:20 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 SSEI
I have a 2002 SSEi and i have to unplug fuse 21 from under the back seat every night or the battery will be dead in the morning. I do have an aftewrmnarket head unit in the car but i don't think it's that because if i do a draw test and unplug the head unit completely it still draws power. Would anyone have any ideas what could be causing it or has anyone had the same problem and been able to fix it?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:45 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2008 DTS
There is not a lot on that circuit. Do you have a warning chime and/or steering wheel control module that was added in addition to the radio? Are there ANY other aftermarket electronics that someone may have added and simply tapped into that circuit?

There are a few possibilities. Sometimes it's hard enough to troubleshoot OEM configurations, but when changes are made, it 'may' complicate the process.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:13 am 
LE Member

I have an axxess GMOS-09 and ASWC-1 along with a sony xav-ax200. But like i said even if I unplug everything form the factory harness and do a draw test it still shows its pulling power so im assuming it's something else. I saw someone say something about the factory amp, could that be a possibility and if so how do i unplug it to check? I cant get the connectors to come out of it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:45 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

How much current are you measuring with everything disconnected?

The amp is a very unlikely the suspect. It is fused separately from the radio and the only connections that really exist between it and the radio are for the audio signals. There is another connection between the two components, but again, this should not cause your symptoms. The connector can be a bit of a pain to get out, mostly because it's a tight fitting connector in an awkward location. The amp has it's own Maxifuse in the rear fuse block. I'll look in the service manual later just to see what is on the radio circuit.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:15 pm 
LE Member

I don't remember the current, I did the draw test a little while ago, I'll have to do it again to see. What are the likely suspects would you say?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:36 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

I looked over the schematics and the AUDIO fuse only supplies power to the radio and OnStar (if equipped). Does you car have OnStar, and if so, do you subscribe? As I mentioned, the amp is fused separately, so it isn't overly suspect here. If your car has OnStar, I would start by disconnecting it and see what happens. 2002 was a transition year so there is two different configurations based on earlier or later production. There will be one or two modules (based again on version) and located behind the rear seat back on the right/passenger side. You should be able to gain some access through the trunk. I've never accessed it in a 2002 so I can't describe exactly how easy connectors will be to get at.

I'm assuming that there is no remote starter, gauges or other accessories? I know you mentioned only audio equipment, but I just want to make sure there isn't anything else that may be tapping into the radio supply circuit.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:28 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 2005SLE CRIMSON
2005SLE WHITE
1975 MONTE CARLO
Do you have remote start is the question I was going to ask?
On my son's last Bonneville he had an after market remote start put in.
After about 1 1/2 years his battery was dead every morning.
It turned out the remote start went bad and was draining the battery.
We argued about it for about 1 week and he finally listened and disconnected it and the problem went away.
That is why me personally I hate after market items that are put on cars.(remote start & radios)
You can never beat factory OEM items installed when the car is built at the factory.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:07 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

^^^ One of the reasons that anytime someone has electrical problems like this, one of my first questions is always about aftermarket electronics.

Sometimes, people also don't know the entire history of a car and often are unaware of an electrical disaster created by an amateur installer who cut, hacked and didn't properly connect and insulate splices and other connections.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:19 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 2005SLE CRIMSON
2005SLE WHITE
1975 MONTE CARLO
Agree 100% !!!!!
You are exactly correct!!!!!
I had an after market remote start on my 2005SLE (white) Bonneville that I bought last May.
That is the first thing I took off.
The splice was a hack job.
I took if off and reinsulated the whole area around it.
Again I am old (67) and do not like after market add on's.
They always seem to cause problems down the road.
I am very big on OEM stock only.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:13 am 
LE Member

I do not have a remote start, Just the head unit, backup camera, and a subwoofer. I bought the car with no aftermarket installed and the battery was dead when i bought it so I think it possibly could have already been a problem. I need to try the test again with all that unplugged.