It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The end of an era.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:43 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 2013 Regal GS
It is official. My Bonneville is no longer in my possession.
It has been a fun ride, but I saw the writing on the wall before (I think) it was going to become a money pit. Hopefully her parts come to good use at the junkyard I left her at.

(yes, there is a story behind my avatar.)

Post subject: Re: The end of an era.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:02 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2004 GTO
So what happened to it that made it go to a junkyard?

96 SSEi...September 2010 COTM........GONE
04 GTP comp G.... December 2015 COTM........GONE
2013 Audi Allroad Quattro

yourgrandma wrote:
Hi.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:12 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2005SLE CRIMSON
2005SLE PEARL
1975 MONTE CARLO
108,000 is not a lot of miles on these cars.
Did the salt in our great rustbelt Midwest get to it?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:47 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT
I was gonna say, 108k is just finishing the break-in period on a 3800... :)

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2019 Chrysler Pacifica Limited: Mommy's new RGC
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Kids new RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Sold to neighbor
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500: Doeskin Tan - 8.1L Big Block... new plow truck
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:55 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
I would have loved to give you scrap price for this car, fixed it up and made an easy $2-3k. I think you gave up way to easy.

$10 says the salvage yard will do the repairs and flip it.

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:06 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
My guess is that there looks to be a rust issue, along with the smaller, easier to fix items...
I probably wouldn't be inclined to put a lot into this either. Too bad really. It's low mileage and at first glance seems to be in decent condition.
2000-2005-other-than-gxp/topic52188.html

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:30 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

The shop will be lucky if they get $500 for the car.

The car ran great; it is just that the car's rust was starting to get bad under the car. The rust by the gas filler cap was starting to get VERY bad.

Uh there was a gas leak at the fuel filter (my shop claimed that they might break the fuel line if they tried to replace it), the headliner was starting to sag quite a bit, there was a coolant leak from the LIM (leaking onto the exterior of the engine block), a misfire on cylinder 3 developed after it sat for a bit (which would be fixed with a replaced ignition coil), there was a small squeak that made noise only once in a while - on the driver's front wheel (I think it had to do with suspension), the transmission seemed to be having issues (hard shifting at times, probably solenoid related), and the sunroof wasn't sitting properly, letting water in - no matter what I did to try to get the sunroof to sit flush like it is supposed to. I ended up duct taping the sunroof shut so I didn't have to worry about leaks.

If there wasn't a fuel leak, I'd still own the car and use it as a winter beater. I don't think my car would be worth a ton - even if the issues above were fixed (which would cost over $1,000 easily) because of the rust and other cosmetics - such as the front passenger fender being dented in by an 18 year old me, trying to slide around a corner with snow covering the parking lot, scratches everywhere, the taped up sunroof, etc.

108,500 miles isn't much, but many things weren't changed on the car because of mileage (spark plugs/wires, ignition coil, fuel filter, LIM gasket, brake fluid, motor mounts).

Sorry for the long and detailed post; I should've paid better attention to my post.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:53 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
A lot of that stuff is DIY with a little guidance from forum members and some tools. Even the fuel leak, although not something you may want to tackle, has workarounds in the event something happens when it's taken apart.

The deal breaker for me would have been all the rust. Based on you pictures and descriptions, I wouldn't put money into it. But, that's me. Some would and there's nothing wrong with that either as long as realistic expectations are maintained about what someone will get out of it.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:06 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
Your laundry list of problems is something that I deal with on EVERY car that comes through the shop.

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:27 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi
harofreak00 wrote:
Your laundry list of problems is something that I deal with on EVERY car that comes through the shop.

I was going to say, aside from the headliner I think I've either dealt with, or am dealing with every one of those issues and more.

The again, I like to suffer. Enjoy the new car!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:25 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2004 Bonneville GXP
I sympathize with the OP here. If cars are a hobby or an occupation, that's one thing. This isn't where everyone is at or wants to be. I've done a lot of things to my car, but I'd draw the line at extensive rust repairs as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:49 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi, 79 Firebird, 88 Jeep, 11 Yukon Denali
Well if you listen to the Democrats, we will all be forced to drive EV's in just a few years.
Anyone still driving gas engine vehicles will be forced to pay HUGE insurance costs...... but fuel will be dirt cheap!

2000 SSEi - SilverBullet - 78,000 kms, 4" "straight shot" custom headlight ram air inlet, TOGs, 1.9's, Lsd, 2.9-3.4"MPS 10-15 psi, Ported GenV, EGR eliminated, OR pushrods, oil volume kit, trani cooler & shift kit, Titanium retainers, 90 lb springs, 160 Stat, 42# injectors, Fuel pump voltage increase, Wideband O2, 3" to dual 2 1/2" Magnaflows, Snow Meth/water injection, after SC temp gauge, 255/50WR17, timing commander set 15-18*@WOT, 2 speed Fan over-ride, disabled DRL, Solid motor mount, Meziere Electric water pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, Drilled & slotted rotors/ceramics, GXP sway bars and STB, Upgraded and rebuilt transmission with ZZP 2500 rpm stall TC, Pioneer Bluetooth stereo with sub and 800 W amps, PB 13.5 quarter, (April 2014 car of the month)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:34 am 
GXP Member
GXP Member

I'm sure I could've fixed many of the issues with help from the forum, as I've done in the past. But I feel that if I fixed all the problems with the car (not including rust), I'm sure something else would've popped up that was more serious, such as the fuel lines actually rusting out. They were on that track. Many suspension components would've probably failed too - especially the rear shocks. They still worked, but the rust was starting to get bad.

The rust is the main reason I got rid of my car when I did. It was spreading pretty fast up near the front of the car. Also, due to my two jobs, both keeping me occupied quite a bit, I don't have a ton of time to be working on the Bonnie.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:32 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT
Rust... LOL! You should see our old van. It loses weight daily.

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2019 Chrysler Pacifica Limited: Mommy's new RGC
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Kids new RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Sold to neighbor
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500: Doeskin Tan - 8.1L Big Block... new plow truck
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:04 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2000Silverbullet wrote:
Well if you listen to the Democrats, we will all be forced to drive EV's in just a few years.
Anyone still driving gas engine vehicles will be forced to pay HUGE insurance costs...... but fuel will be dirt cheap!

Did you know even putin/Russia joined the Paris Climate Accord?
That should tell you something about how serious the situation is. I am old enough that odds are I will be dead before the earth is almost unlivable if we continue to pollute at the rate we are. Fossil fuel only makes the oil companies richer, the earth dirtier. New energy technology will create lots of jobs, hopefully good paying jobs. - jmho - BC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:44 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 05 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1oldman wrote:
2000Silverbullet wrote:

Did you know even putin/Russia joined the Paris Climate Accord?
That should tell you something about how serious the situation is. I am old enough that odds are I will be dead before the earth is almost unlivable if we continue to pollute at the rate we are. Fossil fuel only makes the oil companies richer, the earth dirtier. New energy technology will create lots of jobs, hopefully good paying jobs. - jmho - BC

You do understand that global climate change is a giant hoax and is only being pushed to try to control free countries. https://youtu.be/TjlmFr4FMvI, https://youtu.be/BQHhDxRuTkI, https://youtu.be/S-nsU_DaIZE.
Other than me disagreeing with the "millions of years" which are pushed by evolution believers, I personally believe in God. But that beside the fact of the actual truth of the carbon/carbon dioxide use.
If you get CO2 too low the earth DIES cause plants die. Also so since the satellite info proving that the Earth is greener than in past since checking for green on the surface. Also the big lie about the ozone layer as we know it never was being harmed (unless we destroy the salt oceans completely) the "holes" are normal. Ozones biggest creator is salty ocean waters reacting with iron rich Earth's crust. It's second producer is lightning in upper atmosphere. Also listen to the guy talk about liquid fuel produced from coal.
God gave us what we need. It's here we just have to properly use it.
There is a company trying to get started to start "mining" plastics stuck in ocean whirlpools, said to be multibillion dollar industry plan and most people fail to understand that all plastics can be separated, and recycled for specific uses.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:25 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: Sedan 2015
What happened to your Bonneville?
It's condition is looking fine in the picture then why left it to a junkyard?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:48 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi
This thread is almost a year old. I doubt anyone knows where this car is now if it's not still in the junkyard.

Resident Tightwad
Screw you, Photobucket.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:17 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

I don't know what happened to her after I sent it to the junkyard. From what I remember, the fuel filter was leaking gas, the sunroof no longer sealed out water so I had to duct tape the sunroof shut. The rust on the undercarriage was getting bad and was the main reason why I got rid of it.

There were some engine issues that I could've solved (misfire, coolant leak), but the car still drove really nicely. The transmission was starting to have some issues but I was able to drive it in a way that the shifts were smooth.

I've been wondering if the place still has it but I doubt it, unless the owner decided to keep it for himself. I've also been tempted to go back and try to reclaim her for myself, as I now occasionally want a winter beater so my Regal doesn't get exposed to the elements.

The pictures make her look good, but some cosmetic issues existed too. The paint was really good for the most part.