All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:10 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '93 SSEi
'05 STS-4
'97 Camaro
'97 LeSabre
No progress on body work yet, still waiting to find parts (getting time off work is fun...)

In the meantime, I've done the standard fix for the gauge cluster capacitor - it had just started to prevent the cluster from turning on so hopefully I got to it in time to prevent stress or damage to the rest of the components in the cluster.

The brakes started squealing the other day, and like every other brake caliper from gm in the early 90's I bet the fronts are both seized and only wearing the inside pad... So of course that means it's time for a brake upgrade. There's not much info to go by aside from one person back in the day that made a kit for a 12" rotor, for $450 or such. However, I think I have the junkyard solution. The Olds was discontinued in 1992, but the Eldorado lived on to get an updated front end that shares the floating caliper design of the late 90's-early 00's cars - which means if the 97+ Eldorado knuckle bolts in then I can put the super common CTS/STS dual caliper 12" setup on this car too. All the ingredients are there to say it will - struts appear the same mounting, wheel bearing is the same (changed from threaded to unthreaded mount holes, but otherwise identical) ball joints taper and tie rods are the same, etc... There are no pictures to go by, but I think it's going to be close.

I wasn't planning to do a brake upgrade, but after the front end thing I think it's worth it. Brakes on this car have felt lackluster from day 1, and the Mastercraft tires aren't helping.

Runs:
'93 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi - Twincharged, manual, and lots more! Build thread
'97 Chevy Camaro - 3800 supercharged, T5, T-tops
'05 Cadillac STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Olds Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'84 GMC Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 Buick LeSabre - L67 winter DD
'92 Pontiac Bonneville SSE future project

Doesn't run:
'87 Buick LeSabre T-type - future victim
'67 Buick LeSabre - future victim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:22 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '93 SSEi
'05 STS-4
'97 Camaro
'97 LeSabre
Test fitted some parts over the weekend, and made the build plan:

That's the '97+ Eldorado knuckle and strut on the Olds. Everything looks like it lines up the way it should, but I'll have to get creative if I want to keep my barely used front wheel bearings with these knuckles. They don't have threaded mount holes like the Eldorado ones do, so I'll need to see if I can just put a longer bolt and nut through them or I'm stuck with the Eldorado ones.

The JL9 11.9" rotor, aluminum dual piston caliper setup from the STS (& CTS) look like they barely fit under the 16" olds wheels. With new pads I think I'll need a 1/8" wheel spacer, maybe a 1/4" spacer. Tape weights barely clear the caliper.

The spring, mounts, strut bearing and mount from the olds look like they will bolt up to the Eldorado strut. Same with the sway bar end links. I don't know if the spring rates are different between the two cars, but it looks like there is an AC Delco 'performance' strut (503671/2) for the Eldorado that is hopefully the same or better than the FE3 package on the Olds.

Brake hose on the olds points down and is around 8". The bigger caliper needs about 3" more hose, the closest I could find was the Delco 18J1650 - 15" hose. It might be a little bit too long, but the bend on the caliper side should point it in the right direction.

Anyhow, parts are soaking in the parts washer so I can clean them and get them powdercoated while I wait for the new struts and hoses to come in. Expect to see more photos soon!

Also, finally found something:

Runs:
'93 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi - Twincharged, manual, and lots more! Build thread
'97 Chevy Camaro - 3800 supercharged, T5, T-tops
'05 Cadillac STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Olds Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'84 GMC Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 Buick LeSabre - L67 winter DD
'92 Pontiac Bonneville SSE future project

Doesn't run:
'87 Buick LeSabre T-type - future victim
'67 Buick LeSabre - future victim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:41 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: .
92 SSE
92 Lumina Z34
99 Tahoe
03 PAU
Definitely can't wait to hear more about the front suspension progress! I also had to take the chance to get a picture of the Trofeo and SSE when you parked it there. :lol:

92 Chevy Lumina Z34 | LQ1/4T60E | 177k mi | Torch Red w/Grey Int. | Rusty Storage Occupant
03 Buick Park Avenue Ultra | L67/4T65E-HD | 197K | White Diamond Metallic w/Shale Int. | Rust Free Southern Sourced Storage Occupant
99 Chevy Tahoe LT | L31/4L65E | 240k mi | Spiral Grey Metallic w/Grey Int. | Daily Winter Rig / Tow Pig and Portable Concert Hall
04 Cadillac Seville SLS | LD8/4T80E | 216k mi | Red Jewel Tintcoat w/Shale Int. | Storage Occupant Too
09 Chevy Malibu LT | LE5/4T45E | 215K mi | Seafoam w/Blk Int. | Fuel Miser Daily
13 Ford Explorer XLT | 3.5/6F55 | 156k mi | Kodiak Brown w/Blk Int. | Unbreakable, somehow
James May wrote:
Hello.