It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:48 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Last few days have been slow progress on this project, something about it got really cold last week so I decided to work on indoor projects...

But this weekend I managed to get started on this again. Getting interior parts cleaned and ready for installation, the biggest headache being the headliner because the front fender and then door have to come off to get it out without damaging it. Decided to re-do the headliner and some of the pillar trim.

Trying to decide if I want to add the base dome lamp to the overhead console headliner - or just leave it alone. Probably just going to leave it alone and put it all back together again. At the moment I'm working out how to replace the failed hook and loop (kinda like velcro but better) pieces with a more positive attachment. Trying to avoid the staples that didn't work on the fiberboard.

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:25 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
So after pulling the headliner out of the parts car, I wasn't at all happy with the state of the fiberglass. It was starting to break up around the main attachment holes. The original gray one was about the same. Both were faded really bad, the exposed edges were pinhole melted from heat exposure, the rear sails delaminated and worse off.

I tried to remove the old headliner and foam from the donor without damaging the hard adhesive layer, but that didn't work out. Annoying, but that's how the last few headliners have gone. This time to repair it I tried using epoxy resin. Initial odor is gone in 24 hours, compared to the 4 months of horrible stink I've dealt with using polyester resin (fiberglass resin).

I ended up using a 3" paint roller, wrapped tightly with electrical tape, to spread the resin. By far superior to trying to brush it on. I used the old headliner as a nest for this while it cured overnight. My initial observations are that the epoxy resin, while about 2x's the cost of polyester resin, is far superior. Zero shrink, mild odor during the first 24 hours, and far easier to sand smooth once cured. The headliner on this car measures in at about 5x6 feet in raw material. I'm using a 1/8" polyurethane foam with a polyester scrim backing and 10% spandex faux suede polyester fabric. Details that might prove useful when selecting spray adhesives... Foam side goes down against the headliner backer, 3M and locktite make some good sprays adhesives readily available, but they won't work to glue the fabric to the foam. You need a headliner specific spray for headliners, no matter how light they are. It has a lot to do with the adhesive as well as the spray pattern. You can make 3M 90 or locktite 300 work for the most part, but I've already had a few small failure areas as a result of the spray pattern and material stretch, taking too big a bite in area to wet out at once, etc.

Decided to make the pillars nicer that the Cadillac:

While all this stuff is drying out and curing, etc. I decided to work a bit on some 3D printed parts. First up are the clips for the A-pillar. I broke the first clip figuring out how to take it off - and then every single one after that because they were too brittle...

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:56 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: .
92 SSE
92 Lumina Z34
99 Tahoe
03 PAU
Looks awesome! You're inspiring me to take care of some of the headliner projects I have to tackle, and with more than thumbtacks this time! :lol:

I like that you wrapped the pillar covers too, our Cadillac has that pool table felt covering the pillars, if it were a nicer material it would look a lot better. Might have to copycat that myself.

92 Bonneville SSE | L67/4T60E | 77K mi | Med Slate Grey w/ Two-Tone Grey Int. | Low Miles Time Capsule
92 Lumina Z34 | LQ1/4T60E | 177k mi | Torch Red w/Grey Int. | Rusty In Odd Spots
99 Tahoe LT | L31/4L65E | 276k mi | Spiral Grey Metallic w/Grey Int. | Truck for Truck Things and Portable Concert Hall
03 Park Avenue Ultra | 212K mi | White Diamond Met. w/ Shale Int. | Southern Time Capsule
05 Acura RL | 155K mi | Carbon Grey Pearl w/Ebony Int. | The Super-Hooptie Daily

James May wrote:
Hello.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:59 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2004 GTO
So I don’t know if I asked this but why not get the headliner material with the foam on it already from the fabric store?

96 SSEi...September 2010 COTM........GONE
04 GTP comp G.... December 2015 COTM........GONE
2013 Audi Allroad Quattro

yourgrandma wrote:
Hi.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:55 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Because the 90's headliner fabric is just garbage, overpriced, and every fabric store I've been to you have to order it. If I could get the textured fabrics they started using around 2009 I would, but that's not stretchy so it's formed in a press so no real way to wrap it at home. Also this way I can use whatever fabric I like.

Also the underlying design failure, or rather cost cutting measure, of the foam bond to the fabric is not addressed with just buying a new headliner. Doing it this way I'm using a adhesive that's not going to break down the foam over time. So unless I missed a spot the headliner won't sag again.

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:07 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
I've been making steady progress, working out details like getting the donor lock cylinders re-keyed, adapting the '98-'99 air bag module to fit the '97 mounts, and going through the interior re-install with a fine tooth comb to do everything possible to make sure there are as few squeaks and rattles as can be. Every loose wire gets taped down, all close fitting parts and joints are getting soft foam pads or felt tape, etc.

Depending on timing constraints, I'm replacing every incandescent bulb in the IP/Dash/interior courtesy lighting with LEDs. I'll be updating the head unit in the Camaro, so taking the one in it now and moving it to the Buick. New speakers to replace the rotting out paper ones, etc.

Working on 3D printing new A-pillar clips! This one is about two versions behind where I ended up.

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:01 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: .
92 SSE
92 Lumina Z34
99 Tahoe
03 PAU
I just broke the two A pillar clips on the 92 SSE today running the mic wire for the new HU up to behind the visor. :btruestory: :lol: That one looks much more robust.

92 Bonneville SSE | L67/4T60E | 77K mi | Med Slate Grey w/ Two-Tone Grey Int. | Low Miles Time Capsule
92 Lumina Z34 | LQ1/4T60E | 177k mi | Torch Red w/Grey Int. | Rusty In Odd Spots
99 Tahoe LT | L31/4L65E | 276k mi | Spiral Grey Metallic w/Grey Int. | Truck for Truck Things and Portable Concert Hall
03 Park Avenue Ultra | 212K mi | White Diamond Met. w/ Shale Int. | Southern Time Capsule
05 Acura RL | 155K mi | Carbon Grey Pearl w/Ebony Int. | The Super-Hooptie Daily

James May wrote:
Hello.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:50 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
I've been making the usual progress on this project, just wanted to share the 3D printed A-pillar clips. They snap in nice, retain perfectly, and are serviceable!

I've been fiddling around with the stereo opening a bit, wasn't deep enough for the radio I will be using. Now that I've figured that out I can finally button up the dash. Hoping to have the interior (except door panels) all done by the weekend, and get the drivetrain back in over the weekend.

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:37 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Well, I got a lot done this weekend. The car is mostly back together again. I have to fix some things on the door panels, make sure everything inside the doors work right (locks, windows, lights, etc) to finish the interior. I have one thing to redo/undo on the engine harness as I now have a '99 body harness, and then I need to switch over the ignition cylinder to keep my keys.

One thing I need to figure out though. I put LEDs in all of the interior lights. The Brake warning light is now lit at all times. The LEDs I used are from superbrightLEDs so you can plug them in in any direction and they work. It's brighter while the interior lights are on, but never fully turns off. I have to check the wiring schematic, but not sure why it's able to turn on with the ignition off?...

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:49 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
After reviewing the wiring diagrams, I think I have a possible idea for why the brake light is always on with the LED.

The power supply side of the circuit is only supposed to be hot in run or start. It shares power distribution with the chime module.
The ground side of the circuit is shared to the BCM; such that any of the switches that activate the brake light also ground the pin on the BCM. Inside the BCM, this pin is the ground for a pull up resistor. The way this is wired is that +12v (it claims it's IGN switched...) goes through a resistor to this pin, so it technically can provide current in reverse to the brake LED. However, at this point, I haven't found the +12v hot at all times current leak. But at least I think I know where I need to add a diode.

The trunk light has me a little intrigued. Because it can only pass current one direction, it means that the leak has to be downstream. The only thing downstream is the switch for the trunk lid. I think the latch has the switch and the security stuff all integrated, but I need to see a diagram of it or just start taking it apart to understand what's going on there.

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:35 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Decided to dig into my NVH experiences and make some upgrades:

I had to do some extensive repairs to one of the door trim panels. Ended up making a special tool to extract the upside-down pal nuts that hold the wood trim pieces on. Then I had to fix two of the latches because the lock/unlock wasn't working. I'm just about finished with this phase of the project though. I'm currently waiting on the ignition cylinder parts. Apparently, it wasn't a key issue I'd been having, it was a broken wire on the cylinder.

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:27 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
I haven't updated this since the last time I got it running again again again again...

All I have left to do is fix the HVAC controller. More on that later, but I haven't really driven it all summer because of that.

Can't recall if I left all the info here, but a short transmission timeline on the last time I got it running...

Trans #1 was the original trans from the '86 LeSabre that made it's way to the SSEi where it broked the input shaft. I've built it up since then, for this project. When I went to drive it for the first time here, it only had third gear. I decided to be lazy and grabbed trans #2 from a u-pull for $50, put a shift kit and 4th hub in it, and put it in. It had the exact same problem, only 3rd gear. The issue ended up being a wiring harness difference between 4t60 and 4t65 cars. Fixed the wire harness, and then it had all gears again. But.. it would shift funny slow. Each gear held just fine, even at WOT, it was only the shift points. So, out with #2 and put #1 back in because #1 obviously didn't have a problem. I never tested that though because I got sidetracked fixing the interior and then it became not a priority. When I did try to drive it (I needed #2 for my Van project) it was shifting better than #2 but something was still off.

A result of the interior swap was that I took the entire body harness with it. At the meet this year while we were admiring the single center out exhaust and how well the interior upgrades worked with the sound system, we found smoke coming from a wire that was melting insulation. Turns out it was melting the ground wire to the horn. I discovered that the main ground wire between the battery and the stud on the fender was broken inside. That means that almost every module and system in the car was grounding from one horn, through the other, back through the body harness, the ground buss under the carpet, and back out to the engine harness to a stud on the block... Not good. So, I fixed the ground wire, but I didn't take time yet to drive it and see if the driveability issues are fixed - because how could they not be? There were several other electrical symptoms that were corrected, but it was low on gas and I need to put some in there before I try taking on the road.

It was just another episode in the never-ending project..

We got snow last weekend, which means that I'll have to take it for a test drive this weekend and make sure it's all sorted out again again again again again. Fuel gauge is still not working (or it's legit empty again) after the interior swap (it was working on the donor, and I took the entire harness and everything from it, so unless the sending unit in the tank is bad...). I've got wheels and tires ready to get mounted for winter as well. Unless there's some other random issue again x6 this car is getting action this winter.

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:00 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1993 SSei
This is way off topic but I'm grasping here. I've been trying locally and unsuccessfully to find a buyer of parts from my 93 SSEi and it occurred to me that I should reach out to forum members. My bonnie was wrecked less than 1K miles on a professionally rebuilt Eaton M62 supercharger. I have been hanging onto it and some other parts thinking I would eventually acquire car. I am moving from east to west coast, don't want to take them with me.

Looking for members interested or know someone that could use these parts.

Keith
kmlar83@gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:04 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Decided to take a break from some other projects to finish up a few little things on the LeSabre this weekend.

Starting with the automatic climate control repair:

Those are 1 watt resistors, obviously they are operating at 1 watt and over time simply overheat. They get so hot in fact that the solder melts and eventually they separate from the mainboard and cause the display (on the daughter board) to stop working. One possible solution would be to upgrade them to 2 watt resistors and/or leaving the leads on them a little longer so the heat can dissipate. I went another route and just added a mini 25mm PC fan:

Dash is mostly back together now. I was in the process of replacing all the lights in the car with LEDs. All the dummy lights, the dash mounted trunk and light controls are done as well. I did have some problems with the first HVAC controller - the daughter board that houses the screen and button interfaces that I'd installed the back lighting LEDs in was having a lot of quirky issues with the screen display. I opted to simply get that working for now, maybe later I can rule out the use of LEDs in the daughter board as causing any issues. All of the status LEDs in the working one were changed from orange to green (red for the off button). It also appears that I've lost a few small brackets for the dash, so can't put the cover plate on yet. Eventually I will swap all of the backlighting to LEDs.

And finally, it's survived driving somewhere, and the return trip, all by itself!

But... It's still a never ending project. The trans (this is the built up one) only has 2nd, 3rd, and TCC. Won't shift into 1st or 4th when commanded by the PCM. First guess is something happened with wiring or the connector on the trans, but sure sounds like the 1st shift solenoid is stuck off. Then the one wheel bearing is making noises. And the fuel indicator doesn't work. The alternator is putting out 14.5-14.8v though the cluster is at the bottom of the red zone. Some other little clunks and creaks to chase as well :lol:

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:24 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Winter is coming again...

This weekend I verified that the PCM is grounding the wire for the 1-2 shift solenoid, which means something in the trans isn't working. So I pulled the engine/trans found that the 1-2 solenoid wasn't even clicking, ended up replacing both shift solenoids with new AC Delco parts, checked the valves mentioned in the the CSM for 2nd and 3rd only shift pattern, put it all back together and..

Still no first gear. :banghead:

PCM is commanding 1st gear, the control wire for first gear is getting grounded by the PCM, the solenoid is working, the valve behind it is working... Furthermore, 2nd gear works so it means the clutch packs and bands associated with 1st must also be working.

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:45 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
So this is a new one... #3 check ball location:

I would have to go way back in the time machine to figure out which gasket kit I ordered, but the gasket was clearly cut wrong. I ended up ordering the GM 24217552 replacement for the separator plate (comes with GM gaskets) Hopefully that fixes everything again again again again again again again... again?

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:27 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Got everything put back together tonight - new spacer plate fixed the harsh gear engagement as well as now all 4 gears work. I fixed the brake squealing as well.

Now I have to figure out what I did for the fuel gauge sender. It's measuring 35 ohms, IIRC the original '97 harness the sending unit directly fed the gauge, and was a 0-50 ohm range. The '98 harness in it now (from the interior swap) it goes to the PCM which I think uses a 50-250 ohm range. Then I need to go through a few other warning lights that I changed to LEDs that appear to need the resistance of a standard bulb to function properly.

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:48 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Long, non-awaited update!

I had to drop the tank three times in the last two weeks here. Yeah, it was fun! No rust! About three weeks ago I went to fill it up at the gas station and a ton of gas started spilling out of the top of the tank for no good reason. I had to go into the wayback machine and remind myself that it was indeed a brand new tank and brand new sending unit and brand new lock ring and brand new o-ring and brand new pressure sensor seal. The dust on the tank showed a clear leak path from the sending unit down, so I brought the lock ring and seal to the parts store and got a new set. While it was apart I figured I'd look into the fuel gauge issue. Of course, it worked perfectly fine when the sending unit wasn't in the tank. Turns out whatever I cobbled together for this had the float arm pointing to the drivers side of the tank - and it was getting stuck on the baffle. Rotated it 180 and now that part works. Cleaned up the o-ring surface, installed the new O-ring, everything back together. Hit up the gas station - and it dumped gas all over again.

Round 2 with the tank o-ring, which the new one was the exact same as the old one, I found another on the shelf that the o-ring was slightly thicker and slightly larger diameter. Installed that one, and the next fill up it did it again... At this point I'm avoiding using the same gas station ever again. So I looked up the original GM o-ring, and the pictures I found showed a steel-backed O-ring. I don't recall that being the case on any tank I've ever changed out, but I can't think of anything other than the o-ring getting squeezed into the opening at this point. Maybe the aftermarket parts don't have as prominent of features to hold the O-ring properly?

Anyhow, round three: Polyurethane roofing adhesive packed the O-ring and pressure sensor for good measure. It's survived two full tanks now without any leaks, so hopefully that's the end of that.

We ended up putting the dragy on it this weekend, as soon as we got to Mexico it started to rain, just enough to wet the roads. The slight slick meant that the tires just spun no matter how I tried to launch it. The best run was 94mph at 15.2, even with a gentle launch it spun most of the way through first gear (it's a fine balance between not overpowering traction and the trans up-shifting early). Next time the weather plays nice (summer tires) we'll give it another go. Might have to put a stickier tire on it to get it to launch. It feels faster than the Camaro.

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:42 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 1990 SSE
Matt: glad to learn you solved the mysterious gas tank leak. That must have been a frustrating pain in the but for you. Did I read correctly that you drove the car to Mexico? Ren

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:03 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Figuratively, Mexico.

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8