It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:49 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 Bonneville SSEi
I've read about the cold weather "no crank, no start" issues and have experienced it myself. Other than there's an RFID chip in the key and and excited coil in the ignition switch that let's the car read the key ID, the rest seems to be black magic.
This is the first winter I've owned my '02 SSEi and as soon as the temperature got below 35 degrees, I'd get the "turn key to start and nothing happens" issue. I'd check fuses, relays, etc and not really find anything wrong and the car would start within about 10 minutes. I changed the battery and the problem persisted.
The first thing I noticed is a "virgin start". The first time you attempt to start the car upon connecting the battery, the car will start 100% of the time. It works but it gets annoying going under the backseat every time it won't start.
Being that the car will eventually start normally, I figured it was a security issue and the vehicle wasn't reading the key correctly, or quick enough. My guess is the cold temperature either effects the RFID chip resonance or the output of the exciter coil. So I tried this..... Put key in ignition.... Count to five.... Turn key to ON.... Count to five ... Turn key to start.... IT WILL START EVERYTIME.
It seems that it take longer for the PK3 system longer to read the key in the cold weather.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:54 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
I've never experienced this. I've owned a 2002 SE and currently a 2004 GXP. Both have been winter driven here in Canada in very cold weather and mine have always cranked and fired up immediately. I suspect there's a problem somewhere with yours.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:01 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

I agree, there is an issue but it doesn't stay broken long enough for me to fully troubleshoot it and have read about others having a similar issue. It seems like some kinda low temperature tolerance issue where sometimes it works and sometimes it does.
But this seems to be a work around. I'm afraid to pull the dash apart and break it completely, especially in the middle of winter.
Wonder if relearning the keys in the low temperature will solve the problem

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:52 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
I can't disagree that in the middle of winter, if you don't have a suitable place to work on your car that it may not be something I'd work up a lot of motivation to tackle either. There's always a 'chance' it may let you down, but if you aren't going on crazy long road trips or anything like that, it may be better to look at it in the spring. The only downside is of course is determining if the problem is fixed since it seems to be a cold weather fault.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:29 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 SSEI
I just got my 2002 SSEI about a week ago. Fortunately I have read through the forum before hand and found your post. I experienced this issue this morning. It was 13*F when I went out. Turned the key and all lights on the dash and everything came on as normal. Turned the key almost immediately and everything went dark as if the battery was dead. So trying to remember what you had wrote for a work around I tried and the first few times didn't work. When I would turn the key to ON the Brights indicator would be on, but was faint. I could hear some things behind the dash working or turning on. So I took the key out and put it in my mouth to warm it up. This time I remembered it was the count to 5 at each stage. So I put the key in and counted, turned to on and counted. When I turned the key to on nothing came on, but I believe, correct me if Im wrong, it sounded like a mini air compressor in the trunk kicked on. Then turned to ACC and the dash lights were a bit delayed in lighting but came on and then to start and it started right up.

I looked at the battery the other day and it was new 9/17. I have not put a load test on it yet. That might be next. My car has not seen a lot of use as it only has 27K miles on it. So I can't see it being a wear and tear kind of thing. The other interesting thing is the Tripometer did not reset. My radio presets did not reset, but the driver 1 seat locations and the time on the radio reset.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:41 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Sorry you're having the "no crank" issue too. Seems like every one might be a little different. I'm finding the "pause" between inserting the key, then turning to ON, and then start may need to be longer as it gets colder out. I can be at work where it's 35° and it won't start, but I can be at home and it's 19° in the morning and it will start right up.
It's a pain in the ass, but if it doesn't start, try disconnecting the battery... waiting a great seconds... then try starting the car with the pause between ON and START.
I've noticed I won't get a "key in ignition" chime when it won't start.
I'm trying to localize the "power cycling" to a fuse instead if having to disconnect the battery. I'll let you know if I find it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:36 pm 
LE Member

When you get the no crank situation, do you have dash lights and everything seems normal until you turn to start? Mine will act normal as I can tell and then when I crank everything goes black like there is no juice to the entire thing. Is that the same that you are seeing?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:06 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Yes, everything is "normal" except nothing happens s when I turn the key to START. The dash lights go out in the start position, as they should, but come back on when the key is released.
Most times when it won't start, I don't get the "ding ding ding" key on ignition chime. It is mechanically turning the vehicle on, but seems to be failing to recognize the key to enable it to crank. Given enough time, it will eventually recognize the key and let the car start.
If you disconnect one battery lead and reconnect in about 5 seconds, the car should start in about 15 seconds

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:26 am 
LE Member

After further investigation my issue turned out to be the battery. I didn't follow my moto of K.I.S.S. Just didn't think a year old battery would be weak. Put my battery maintainer on it and brought it back a little. Gonna continue to do that for the next week and hopefully the battery will be good as new. As stated, read this thread, then it got cold and I jumped the gun instead of thinking it through.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:42 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

First thing I did was decode the "born on" date on my battery and mine was 5 years old. I've heard that there is a lot of voltage loss due to the battery being so far away. I bought a new battery and it didn't change anything.
The fact that it started the first time I hooked up the new battery is where I got the idea to "power cycle" the vehicle to get it to start.