It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:13 am 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonneville SSEi
Hi all,

I spent all of today fruitlessly working on my wife's 00 SSEi. Most of the day was taken up with trying to install a new stereo in the car. I bought at Kenwood Excelon DPX793BH with a Volkswagen antenna adapter, a PAC RP3-GM13 Dock & Lock interface and wiring harness, and an Axxess ASWC-1 steering wheel control interface. The documentation that came with each component was very generic and didn't give me much guidance for how to wire things up. Some things were fairly obvious, like connecting the same color speaker wires together (gray to gray, white to white, green/black to green/black). Connecting the black wires together was similarly pretty straightforward since they're all grounds. There was no documentation for how to connect power up to the system so I guessed based on my experience with Buick Park Avenues and connected the orange wire from the vehicle side of the harness to the yellow wire on both the stereo harness and the Axxess harness. I also guessed and connected the red wire from the vehicle side to the yellow wire on the stereo side to give accessory power. I cut the two pink wires from the vehicle side of the harness (A1, A2) and connected those to the pink wire on the Axxess per their instructions. I also connected up the power antenna lead from the stereo and connected that to the VW antenna adapter.

After all that was done I plugged the whole thing into the Dock & Lock connector at the back of the dash and there was no power to the stereo; not with the key in ACC, not with it in ON, not with the engine running. Can anyone think of what I might have done wrong? I'm going to call Crutchfield in the morning and see if they can give me some direction but I'd like your opinions as well.

Thanks!

- Toby Hanson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:54 am 
SE Member
SE Member

I've made some progress during the week. I had the power wires totally wrong. The PAC interface/harness provides power through the red and yellow wires coming from it. Those connect directly to the red and yellow wires for the stereo harness. Figuring that out got me power to the head unit. Now, however, I can't get any sound out of the speakers. Currently I've got the blue/white wire from the interface, which is labeled Amp Turn On Input, hooked to the blue/white wire on the stereo harness, which is labeled Power Control Wire. I also have the blue wire from the antenna adapter connected to those two wires as well since the directions for the antenna adapter said to make that connection.

Any idea why I've got no sound?

- Toby Hanson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:14 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

I've got some more information about why the speakers are not making any sound. After a bunch more research I found out that the PAC interface I bought doesn't have a wire going to the amp turn-on slot on the dock connector. That explains why the amp isn't turning on and producing sound. If anyone in the future is considering getting one of those interfaces for an SSEi with the Bose sound system, DON'T!!!!! It's not set up to work properly. You would have to add a pin and wire to the connector to get it to work. I ordered a GMOS-09 and that should hopefully work for this installation job.

- Toby Hanson