It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:48 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SLE
I’m looking at a 00 sle for a commuter/maybe resell for profit. I looked at it yesterday and it’s in pretty decent shape. Interior has no tears. The gal had it at a mechanic recently and diagnosed the intake manifold as needing replaced. I know that is a common failure. The car has 205,000 miles on it. She hit a guard rail last month in it in a snow storm so some minor paint work on the bumper covers is needed. I’m not worried about the body damage. It’s fixable.
It hesitated a touch yesterday when I started it. I know it’s been sitting for several days maybe weeks. My first thought is it has antifreeze in the intake causing the starting stutter.

My plan would be to ONLY drive it to my garage and pull the intake and replace. While there plugs wires and coil packs would get replaced along with fuel filter. Also trans fluid and filter if you guys think I should. I know some people believe in changing others don’t. I believe if you change it from new keep doing that but on something with lots of miles? Sometimes the only thing holding everything together is that old fluid(quote from an old farmer I used to work for)

I have a good feeling none of this has been done. She has owned it for 30,000 miles and not done it. She has however just put a front sway bar in(?) 4 corners of brakes and roters and new tires.

After the engine started it did sound pretty good. It has a bad pulley but I can find and replace that. She bought and owned it in Washington state (Seattle) I am in Montana if that matters. I do plan on doing the work myself except the body and paint work.
I think I can get it for around 1200$ thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:26 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonniville SSEi L67
that sounds good if you dont have to spend on large ticket items - complete brakes, tires....

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:59 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Welcome to the forums!

The only thing I'd be scared about with that upper intake failure is how long it may have potentially been running around with coolant in the oil. Check the oil for milkshake and sparkles.

Would also be a good idea to check the thing for rust. They like to rust out in the front strut tower area, which you can't see too well unless you remove the upper wheel well liner.

Otherwise, you seem to be on the right track. You can change the transmission fluid, but only a pan drop and filter change, potentially adding a TransGo shift kit. I'd definitely put some Lucas StopSlip in there as well.

With that age, mileage, and damages, I'd definitely push for lower than $1200.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:02 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SLE
It is very rust free. What is the life span of the exhaust on these cars? The trans go shift kit. How difficult is that and is there special tools required?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:11 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonniville SSEi L67
Jorden486 wrote:
It is very rust free. What is the life span of the exhaust on these cars? The trans go shift kit. How difficult is that and is there special tools required?

my 2000 SSEi still has the original exhaust and only a pinhole in one muffler - so almost 20 years of Canadian winters and tonnes of salt.

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:28 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi
As a commuter might be a very nice buy, as a flip maybe not so much. I think $1200 is high for a 200k Bonneville that needs body work and needs engine work- I understand it is only showing LIM gasket failure. Add in the transport from Seattle to Montana- you are easily over 2,000 for a 200k miles, model year 2000 Bonneville.

I would not be willing to pay over $500 for the vehicle as you described, and that would be for a commuter car- Bonnevilles can very nice ones at that. I think a flip at over 2,000 invested is not a winning hand.

I just picked up a 2003 one owner SLE with 125k miles, garage kept for $400- very clean. Needs a rear right passenger door and rear right quarter panel. Body shop is charging 800-1000 for the body work. All in I expect to be at about $1700 for a very clean one owner 2003 SLE, which is more than I wanted to be. The good part is Bonnevilles are very nice cars, but desire is in the eye of the beholder and not many eyes on Bonnevilles any longer.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:26 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 2003 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI
I live in texas and picked up a 2003 SSEI with 112,000mi on ODO for $2200 last summer, it had a bit of right rear fender damage from a minor fender bender and I had to get the rear window resealed, but otherwise a very good no rust car. I'm with MikeKerr, miles is a bit hight for it by the time you would invest whats needed to flip it, I'd try to get the price down, and use it as a commuter and drive it until the wheels fall off (not from lack of maintenance).

SLP Ceramic Coated Headers,
Thrasher Cold Air Intake,
GXP Tails, Interior Door handles, Trim pieces etc.
40th Aniv Grand Prix GTP Wheels (Very Shiny & Very Annoying :pukeleft: )

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:10 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2000 SLE Saved from the scrapyard.
I paid 400 for mine, but I had to put a lot of work into it ( mostly labor, not parts ), but I have my issues with it ( currently a leaking windshield, evap code and security light that comes on randomly ). I would have a hard time selling it for anything more than I have put into it with similar mileage as yours ( little less ). It has no major rust ( clean fuel door, if you can believe it in MN! ) , but needs a front bumper cover and rear cover needs a sand and paint due to a minor collision. light hail damage. It's a great car, I love it, and I'm not planning on selling it any time soon. The exhaust is still in great shape, with the possibility that I may have a converter that is going out on it. I got 26mpg on the highway on the open highway doing an average of 75 mph.

Considerations...drop the pan, change the filter and refill the transmission with Dex6 if the fluid isn't dark. That took care of a slight shudder from my torque converter, drove it 2000 miles round trip last month and performed flawlessly.

Buy the metal coolant elbows when you do the intake and you might as well get a new serpentine belt while you are at it. While you are digging into the car, take a good look at your PS pump, hoses and rack for signs of leaking and take care of it while you have everything apart...don't forget to change the valve cover gaskets.

While you are digging, I would go after the power accessories splice under the carpet behind the drivers seat. It is an unprotected splice, and has a tendency to corrode. I'd get in there and put a proper water tight splice in as preventative maintenance. Don't forget to give that leather some love if you have it with a good conditioner...made a world of difference in my car...I'm due to give it a once over again once spring finally decides to show up.