It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:41 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi
RIP 2001 SSEi
Edit* let me say before this, I've read alot of threads talking about these intercoolers but these questions I've not been able to get an answer to.

Hey guys I've got a bit of a long post all about Zzp short stack intercooler. I want to put one on but I've got alot of questions about it. I want to take my Bonnie to the next step and the reason I want to do the SSIC over the bigger version, is because it's alot more simple and a cheaper option to a novice such as myself.

I've not seen alot of people talk about them around here. And the ones that have give vague information. The things I've got question about go as follow.

I believe the SSIC will give a hp boost just with it on not counting a lowered pulley because of it. Is this true and what can I expect?

Any tutorials anyone can find? Im a novice do it yourselfer and and id need some sort of guidance to get this job done myself. The only tutorial I could find was on ZZPs website and it was very very vague and doesn't go Into where to put the *dang* aftercooler which leads me into my next question.

Where are people putting the aftercooler at? There is almost no room in between the bumper and the codensor. Am I gonna have to make my own brackets because I didn't see any of that or even any guidance on were to put it on the zzp website.

I've really only got this and rockers to do to my Bonnie. I'm not sure what else I can do to it. I've got headers, ported TB , full custom exhaust, CAI and a 3.4 pulley. So I was thinking this would be a good step in the right direction. Tell me what you guys think and any opinions you might have.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:04 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
At some point people are going to chime in I hope.

The heat exchanger setups I've seen have it mounted below the bumper, in the opening below the fog lights. It hangs down partially exposed. Custom brackets are required.

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:23 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 2003 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI
I had a ZZP full size on another vehicle years ago...

I believe the SSIC will give a hp boost just with it on not counting a lowered pulley because of it. Is this true and what can I expect? - Possibly a small amount, but only in the sense that its condensing the air coming in. where you will get gains is ability to go to smaller pulley (PCM tuning a must) and ability to up your timing in the PCM...but you will have to have tuner (old DHP, HPTUNER, etc) to do that too.

Any tutorials anyone can find? Im a novice do it yourselfer and and id need some sort of guidance to get this job done myself. The only tutorial I could find was on ZZPs website and it was very very vague and doesn't go Into where to put the *dang* aftercooler which leads me into my next question. - your best bet would probably be to post up on clubgp.com and ask the guys over there....ZZP intense etc were huge in that forum and many had other 3800 cars (not just GPs) that they modified.

I've really only got this and rockers to do to my Bonnie. I'm not sure what else I can do to it. I've got headers, ported TB , full custom exhaust, CAI and a 3.4 pulley. So I was thinking this would be a good step in the right direction. Tell me what you guys think and any opinions you might have. - Honestly you're at the point where adding the IC and rockers will only give you minimal gains on the 3.4 and 3.2 (if you can even run it without tuning). You really need to look into getting an HP Tuner setup and start learning how to tune...biggest thing I can say on tunning...baby steps, small changes, record lots of driving logs in all sorts of driving, us a change log to record everything you change....the biggest thing...READ, READ READ, LEARN...don't go willy nilly changing things, unless you like buying new motors/trans etc.

SLP Ceramic Coated Headers,
Thrasher Cold Air Intake,
GXP Tails, Interior Door handles, Trim pieces etc.
40th Aniv Grand Prix GTP Wheels (Very Shiny & Very Annoying :pukeleft: )

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:31 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi
1999 Park Ave. Ultra L67
I wouldn't expect to pick up much from just the intercooler. What it will do is allow you to tune for more power, ie more timing, less fuel, more boost.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:57 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
From what I remember from when I was in the game, the SSIC isn't worth it. It's the same amount of work and hassle for almost the same money and less gain. Just bite the bullet and go full stack. However, the reason I'm not in the 3800 game is because it wasn't worth it, and I stepped up to a platform that was worth it, lol. Then life bit me in the butt...

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:56 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 SSEi
2003 SSEi
2004 GXP
SSIC isn't less work but it is less money and less HP.

You have to take everything apart for full size or short stack, there is the same amount of work for both. I've owned more ssei's then most! See my install of full size core I make.

My major modifications at this time.
1. gen 5
2. north star TB
3. 1.94 yellow terra rockers
4. ported rear stock manifold
5. ported p-lof front manifold
6. replaced cat with cheap replacement when it went bad.(exhaust otherwise stock)
7. 42# injectors w/ kenne belle boost a pump
8. phenolic intercooler with 2.8" pulley
9. stock transmission.

http://www.grandprixforums.com/how-to-w ... stall.html