It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:27 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2004 Bonneville SLE
Guys, 2004 SLE, I had a remote start added to the car a few months ago. Shortly after ( same week), the remote start wouldn't work. After I would drive the car and then turn it off, it would work. What I concluded was that as long as I didn't use the lock switch on the doors, the remote would work.. but if I used the lock switch on the door to lock the car, the remote start would fail.. due to the factory alarm being set by locking the doors with the lock switch on the door... now, maybe that was a foolish assumption, I dunno... Now, being careful not to lock the car with the door lock switch and only using the remote, if the car sits for more than a day, the remote start fails. Now, it has gotten to the point that it almost never works, unless I drive the car and then it will start working. Does this have to do with the factory alarm? If so, how do I disable it? I get a message on my info center to have the alarm serviced.. what does that mean? The fact that my wife is driving the car and she hates being cold has driven me to get this fixed quick... the guy who installed the remote called the DEI tech center and they suggested it was the factory alarm but had no fix for it. I have seen the "Newrockies" website that has factory alarm bypasses, but not for this car..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:12 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonniville SSEi L67
do yourself a favour and bail on the remote - theft system is more important than comfort/laziness

yes, when you lock the car by switch or fob, the theft system will arm in 5 minutes. You're saying if you lock by fob, the starter works?

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:03 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

When I use the remote start key fob, it will remote start... most of the time. If I lock it by the door switch, it definitely won't remote start. I am not sure if the installer used a passkey 3 bypass or not.

I don't think this car is high on the list of stolen cars in my area... I will take the comfort/laziness over security....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:56 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonniville SSEi L67
have you tried unlocking with the gm fob? - I suspect that may work

I , have always been over- protective of my women, cars,money, and bike.I may lend money, but never the rest.

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:57 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

car didn't come with a GM fob.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:13 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1993 SLE
1998 SE
2001 SSEI
2002 SSEI
You can buy fobs--either factory or aftermarket fobs that need to be programmed by the dealer, a locksmith or you if you own a Tech 2 tool.
Dorman makes a fob which includes the fob programmer and you can then program several fobs yourself.
The aftermarket fobs that I bought from Amazon sellers all have the same annoying flaw--which is that the trunk button isn't recessed enough; accidentally opening the trunk when you grab the keys is a regular occurrance.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:49 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
I took my fobs apart, and put electrical tape over 3/4 of the foil for the trunk button. That stopped the accidental trunk opening, but it did require hitting the button "just right" to open it.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:56 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Can we please get back to my topic?. I have a remote start that doesn't work sometimes because of the factory alarm. How can I disable the factory alarm?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:33 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1993 SLE
1998 SE
2001 SSEI
2002 SSEI
sdxp787 wrote:
Can we please get back to my topic?. I have a remote start that doesn't work sometimes because of the factory alarm. How can I disable the factory alarm?

No one went "off-topic".
It was suggested that you try a GM fob.
You replied that you don't have one.
I recommended ways to obtain one or more and program them.
Archon suggested a work-around for aftermarket fob trunk button sensitivity, in case you want to go that route.
What do you find irrelevant about this?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:53 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 2003 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI
i believe he's stating it's off topic because the issue isn't with his actual fobs but rather an issue with the factory alarm system fighting with the remote start system.

SDXP787 could you post what remote start system you have...I'll see if I can look the wiring diagrams for the factory alarm and the remote start over and give you suggestions/ideas to check.

SLP Ceramic Coated Headers,
Thrasher Cold Air Intake,
GXP Tails, Interior Door handles, Trim pieces etc.
40th Aniv Grand Prix GTP Wheels (Very Shiny & Very Annoying :pukeleft: )

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:17 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: '03 SLE Silver/Charcoal
IIRC you can order a PCM from Intense with this disabled or is that just for VATS? Which is for a previous generation again IIRC. That in itself is a $200 venture. before core return on your old PCM. Talk to Andrew at Bonnevilles Unlimited (Harofreak00) and he can get you 2 fobs and the module no programming required for much less...

I had an remote start on a '03 Town and Country once upon a time it had a transponder key and I have to have one of the keys mounted in a box up under the dash for the transponder to give the signal to allow the starter to engage. I would assume that PK3 is very similar in operation one would assume.

2003 SLE Silver/Charcoal (New Acquisition)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:47 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Jeffssei, I will get that to you soon. In Canada on business now.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:51 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

sdxp787 wrote:
Jeffssei, I will get that to you soon. In Canada on business now.

ok, whenever's convenient for you.

I also found this: http://www.modifiedlife.com/2004-pontia ... er-wiring/

still double checking it's references vs actual schematics at the moment...will let you know if I see anything that stands out...a lot will depend on how sophisticated (for lack of a better word) your remote start system is.

Last edited by JEFFSSSEI on Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:18 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
You may or may not ever solve this problem. This is what happens when companies try to build aftermarket products and integrate them into a factory security system. I see that you have two options...

1. Try to pursue this and hope you come up with a solution, which may cost time, money and frustration.
2. Post the question to members asking which remote starters are KNOWN to work correctly in this car.

Lots of sales staff selling these things have little real-world knowledge of any specific car and will make promises that, while they believe to be true, are simply not.

I don't have a remote start in my Bonneville. Why? Because of exactly why you created this thread.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:52 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2004 Bonneville SE
Have an 04 SE and have a remote start in it. Has always worked great as long as I use only the remote start fob. If I use GM fob in the mix it will go into alarm. Its at least 10 years old. It is an Astroflex fob and I believe made by Astrostart. All of these vehicles with PK ignition have to have PK compliant bypass module installed along with the remote start module otherwise they will not work. This is not difficult and any commercial installer would know this as the manufacturer of the remote start has these modules and provides the correct wiring diagram for this. I also have an Astro start starter in my Chevy truck, PK 3 I think it is and it is the same scenario there. The bypass module would be installed right near the remote start module. Most of this info can be found on the manufacturer website if it is a reputable company.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:21 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

The remote start is made by Directed and the model is 4103R

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:41 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

this is all I can find on it (below)... I can't seem to find schematics anywhere on their site or anywhere else for that matter.

http://support.directed.com/LearningCenter/DIY.aspx