It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:06 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2001 SE
I haven't replaced mine, yet, but there is no need to pull the wheel-well liner or drop the tank. There is a little panel behind the tire that pops off and gives full access. There is a worm-gear clamp behind it that holds the filler tube to the rubber section that is also clamped to the tank. When I grabbed my part at the boneyard, it took me about 40-45 minutes to have the part in hand, but that was with cutting the large top grommet, not wrestling with it. Hope this info has helped you, W&P.

Question for everybody: What is the best way to remove the rubber grommet at the top of the neck (that holds it to the quarter panel)? When I removed the part, at the boneyard, I had no trunk access so I just cut the grommet off to get my part. Also, is there a safe lube to put around the base of the new neck so it will slide into the rubber tube easier? One that will be safe for the gas and fuel system as the lube WILL end up in the tank?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:58 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Just did this job.

You can remove the rubber grommet from the inside of the wheel well. I pushed mine out from the inside using a flat head screw driver.

There is not awkward way to go about this. All I'm gonna say is watch your face as the neck comes out. lol It will let go all of a sudden.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:17 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Cool, N4B...thanks! Any clue on which would be a fuel system-safe lube to use to push the tube into the larger tube down below? I don't want to have to wrestle with it, too much, and have something happen to the connection at the tank.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:11 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
I just sprayed a very modest amount of WD40. The lube isn't much of a problem. You'll want to rotate the top of the neck in the boot to break it free, then you have to undo the worm gear clamp as far as you can, and you should be able to pull it out. Just rotate and twist and eventually it'll let go.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:09 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Great....thank you!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:15 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Watches and putters, I am sorry that I missed responding to your question a month ago. All I had to do was take the tire off to have complete and total access to do the job. There is a small rectangular-ish access panel that pops off with a screwdriver to remove. Once that is off, you can easily get to the worm-gear clamp that holds the tube to the rubber hose. To make the job easier, when removing the filler tube, remove the grommet at the top of it, first....the one behind the gas door. It comes off easily from inside the wheel-well. If you do not do this first, you will fight like hell to remove the tube. The job took me an hour from start to finish (including taking the tire off and on).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:08 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
There's an access panel that pops out. Should be able to get access to what you need with that out.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.