It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seeking Opinions...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:44 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
For the 2000+ interior...

*** IF *** you were to think about refinishing the center console trim parts (shifter plate & cup holder), what colour/finish would you select? Would you also do the instrument cluster/radio trim and traction control panel or leave them alone.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

Post subject: Re: Seeking Opinions...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:33 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
I personally like a very light tan with a darker brown accent on leather. The areas that would get dirty from use like the armrests and steering wheel, would have to be the dark brown.

Kinda like this:

Basically, anything, as long as it's not '90's grey, is cool with me. I am a fan of interiors matching the exterior, but only if it's done right.

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:31 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
I used to toy with the idea of wrapping that whole area, radio/climate trim and all, with the same brushed black metal that I've done my door handle and vent bezels with. However, they don't make the wrap wide enough, and hydrodipping is pricy.

If it were me, it would have to be some kind of metal, maybe aluminum or similar. Or a dark gray/black wood. I would do all of it in order for it to look more complete.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:01 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

I like Matt's thoughts on areas prone to becoming soiled, and in the photo, it looks nice. I've got the Pewter interior so in some respects it's more difficult. I think there's a wider range of options and things I could do with a tan interior because other colours can be added and look good. You can't add a lot of different colours to the pewter interior without looking gaudy :(

I also see what you're saying Carl. What you propose is a little tricky as well because with the brushed metal door handles in the GXP, everything else would need to be the same or it wouldn't look right. Hydrographic printing is a little more costly, but I'll spend the money to get the best end result. One thing I didn't mention here is that I've already had 11 pieces finished/refinished with hydrographic printing. Whatever I do will need to fit with that as well.

Here's the thread to my rear heated seats. Toward the end you'll see what I did...

detailing-appearance/topic10782.html

I'm really reluctant to finish these additional pieces in the same pattern because I just think it will be too much carbon fibre. I need something else that will be a fit and offer some contrast.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:51 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Believe me I've read all of your threads... For fun... Haha. That new CF print looks so much better than the GXP stuff.

How about the same color and style as the door handles themselves? Might be tricky, and it might also be too much contrast. But you never know.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:02 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

GM's problem was trying to make a carbon fibre appearance trim that was interchangeable between the tan and gray interiors. That resulted in the marginal looking stuff they ended up with for production. I absolutely agree that the new pattern and colour is 1000x better than the original.

Getting the very same brushed look with the same sheen as the metal door handles will be a big challenge. I am also worried that it would be too much just given the surface area of the center console parts.

My brain keeps going back to refinishing in the same colour that GM used and calling it good. To complete my current project, it absolutely needs to be done. I thought this would be the opportunity to change it up a little but... There just seems to be so little that can be done with this interior short of a complete remodel. :sad:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:49 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
I take it you're not going to consider swapping to the tan interior then?

For some reason I thought your car had tan.

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:53 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

That would be a cool color combo, but seems like a lot of work. Might be best to just repaint with GM factory color.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:30 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

MattStrike wrote:
I take it you're not going to consider swapping to the tan interior then?

For some reason I thought your car had tan.

No, it would be a huge expense. Not that difficult to do, just a lot of parts! I really like the gray in that it doesn't show dirt or some types of imperfections nearly as easily. I don't believe GM ever offered the tan interior with Graystone Metallic/Spiral Gray Metallic.