It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sophia owner of 1998
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:00 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1998 Bonneville SLE
Hi Everyone,

My name is Sophia and I have a 1998 Pontiac Bonneville. like I actually had to put the make. lol
Well, I've had my car since birth. I love it! Although, not as much as my 08 STreet Glide.... lol Unfortunately, all is going to hell. Two issues, one is the Air Bag light. been on for 7 years. Passed inspection thanks to a friend. now he is gone and i'm kind of stuck.. well NOT so much about air bag light as I am about my SUNROOF.. *dang* thing won't close. I checked all the relays and fuses. I hear no noise at all. I saw a video about overriding the sunroof. course it was on another car.
I'm in the process of taking out the head liner to remove the switch. I'm going to use the multimeter to see if this is dead or not.
course, don't ya know there is no YOUTUBE video on removing the liner but at this point, I'm just am going to rip the *dang* thing out.

Can anyone PLEASE point me in the direction of MANUALLY CLOSING THE SUNROOF??? is there a way? I've looked over this forum and have not seen a thing.

Thank you in advance and as always, I am grateful for a forum that pertains to one of my baby's! :D .

Post subject: Re: Sophia owner of 1998
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:23 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonniville SSEi L67
hi, Sophia, welcome to the club!! find the fuse for the sunroof and check for 12v in. if its a breaker, switch with a similar value fuse and see if it gets power.

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:31 am 
LE Member

96 SSEi wrote:
hi, Sophia, welcome to the club!! find the fuse for the sunroof and check for 12v in. if its a breaker, switch with a similar value fuse and see if it gets power.

Checked both fuse from left side under stearing and relay from right side under glove box. not sure about "BREAKER" both relay and fuse are good.maybe breaker is another word for relay?. wish it was just one of these.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:38 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
I would bet the motor died. Headliner removal should be straightforward, remove the grab handles, A, B and C pillar trim, sun visors and any other trim parts/pieces, and it should start coming down. Otherwise you should be able to see any other fasteners holding it on at that point.

As far as the airbag goes, you'll have to get it scanned with either a Tech II (GM Scan tool) or a high-end Snap-On type scanner that reads body codes. It should tell you what's wrong. There's a module under the passenger seat, there's the airbags themselves in the wheel and the dash, and there's an impact sensor up front. Any one of those could be bad. Also, it might be worth checking the ground buss on the driver's side, under the door sill trim. Those get corroded from water intrusion and can cause problems. That might be a simple place to start. Worth checking out no matter what.

sonoma_zr2 wrote:
check your drivers side ground buss. It is under the carpet, left foot well
the whole seat ground through this connector

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:44 am 
LE Member

Hello all, and thank you for all your feedback. I've deduced it down to the sunroof motor. Theres power going to the motor and every other place including switch. Removed motor to see how, and at same time manipulated the sunroof closed thank gawd!. Went to local picknpull unfortunately not one with a sunroof. I've tried to look up what other car has the same sunroof motor. Haven't been able to find one with the same year or fit. Also, as fAR as airbag light, that is my next project. I will definitely check the ground under driver side. Haven't done that yet.