It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil Level Module
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:40 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1995 Bonneville SE
Working on my 95 SE warning lights. Got them all to work proper, including that menacing Security light. Airbag goes out, seat belt eventually all is well. The last one is Check Engine. It will crank but no start. Fuel is shut off. Systems lights says Check Gauges. That looks good. Momentarily the light comes on that says Check Oil Level, then goes out. Level is perfect and while I am cranking the pressure goes up close to 40lbs. The manual says if less than 4lbs or level is low the module send a message to PCM and does not allow fuel to flow. All is good with regard to oil level and pressure. Could it be the module? or level sensor or pressure sensor? Please help with the steps to take before I waste money on a module if not needed. I have gotten some great tips in here and appreciate the advice. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Oil Level Module
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:28 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
If possible, I'd try and get the car scanned. Does any of your friends have a scanner? Obviously the car won't make it to an Advance or Autzone to get a free scan. Any code that we get might give us a hint.

Otherwise, my guess is the crank position sensor. Remove a spark plug wire boot from a coil and see if there is any spark while cranking.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:34 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Thank You Carl. I checked for a spark----Yes. The scanner thing is a problem. The decal in engine compartment say OBD 1 compatible. Auto Zone had a GM scanner for OBD 1 but the connector was the wrong shape. The one with the right shape was for OBD 2. The store person said that it would pick up both systems. Got home with the scanner, plugged it in, and it said error,error,error. Called the manufacture of the scanner INNOVA and he said it wont work on OBD 1 and that GM changed the plugs that year but not the code system. Different shops I talk to say bring it in and they would scan it with their super scanner, high dollar job hooked to a comp I guess. I see from other posts that there are others with this problem. Before I can answer your code question I have to resolve the reader problem first. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:48 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonniville SSEi L67
hi, have you checked to see if you have fuel at the rail? push the centre of the schrader valve and see if fuel sprays out - keep rag handy so you dont get sprayed

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:51 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Yes. There is fuel pressure at that valve. It is not real high but squirts out. After I relieved the pressure I tried cranking again and then checked once more and the pressure was back. Meantime I have been searching for some way to read the codes. I had it towed to a local GM dealer to see what they come up with. Will hear, hopefully Monday(29) but fear they dont have the module for the 95 on the Tech 1. Now I have researched many scanners, even the high dollar models. Best I could find after sniffing through the posts here is an Actron CP9145. Can you tell me if this is the one? I did find a shop that has a Snap-On. I have been there before with trans issue, I thought, turned out to be a misfire. Would he get the misfire code from a trans scan? This is frustrating and am ready to get dirty if I knew what to take apart. If nothing can give me any hint I will have it towed home and commence the cam shaft magnet test and then go from there. I am willing to put money in this operation. Only one owner...ME. Thank you for your help.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:48 pm 
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin

Year and Trim: 03 SLE, 95 SE, 95 TS SE
The CP 9145 will read the 95 Bonneville.. The OBD1 protocol is a tad different on the 94/95 bonnevilles... They did use the OBD2 connector but were still OBD1 compliant, But the 94/94 Bonneville also used the P1xxx and P0xxx codes like OBD2..

But for all intent purposes, the Actron CP9145 will read the Odd Ball 94/95 GM 3800 cars. The low oil light coming on for a brief time after started happens with these cars as well.. Common issue... My 95 does this as well..

I do not think the module is your problem tho.. And generally the Cam sensor will not stop the car from starting either.. Its merely a reference pulse for cylinder # 1 Top Dead Center, this is used for True Sequential Fuel Injection..

Do you hear the fuel pump prime for roughly 2-3 seconds? Any idea what the fuel pressure is?

Also do you have spark while cranking?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:47 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Thanks for the help with the CP 9145. I am getting one with the adapter for OBD 1 so I can use it on my 1990 Suburban.

Now for the rest of the story. With all the help I went as far as I could without tearing it down. I checked for spark and it was good at the coil while cranking. I checked for fuel pressure at the rail and it appeared to be working ok. So because of the Check Engine light on I felt the need to get a code for a hint where to go next. No reader available to me. Well I decided to have it taken to my local GM dealer who had a Tech 1. He got it friday and all weekend I worried about it. Today he calls me and says its ready. What the heck was the problem? What was the code? The problem was NGK plugs. They were very wet and fouled shorted to ground with carbon. All 6? I don't understand that. I put those in with new wires not to long ago.The tech said they have lots of trouble with them. First they check for spark at the coil, then check for fuel pressure, then pull a plug.They put new AC plugs in and it runs fine. How embarrassing is that? I asked about the check engine light. What was the fault code? No code because the light did not come on while the engine was running. Was a lesson learned. I felt it was something simple, the car is too reliable. I love my Bonneville.
A sincere thanks to all that posted help.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:55 pm 

Year and Trim: 03 SLE, 95 SE, 95 TS SE
We've never had any issues with NGK plugs over the last 14 years I've been with this forum, so I am a little perplexed on that one.. Our big issue is with Bosch plugs.. I wonder if he installed AC Delco 41-606 or 41-601 plugs.. Glad to hear it's running good again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:36 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2001 SSEi
I'm wondering if you installed the correct NGK plugs. I'm sure you had someone look them up for you at the parts store. Did the GM tech give them back to you by any chance. If you remember which ones you got I'd be curious and look up the correct plug and see if that's what they sold you.
Very strange!
Glad you're back in the saddle!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:48 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

I am not convinced it was the plugs. I got the plugs and wire suggested in a number of posts here. I did not get the plugs back, I was in a hurry, another rookie mistake. I am suspect of what may have caused the short to ground. Could it have been water? I have had the intake replaced when the water pump went out a couple years ago. If the manifold warped would the heat pressure force water into the combustion chamber? NGK 3951

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:10 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonniville SSEi L67
hi, short to ground was most likely caused by either the wires/boot are damaged or the plug is so fouled that spark flows wonky from one electrode to block

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:57 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Thank You everyone for the attention and patience. Got the plugs back from the dealer. They were black but not product failure. Made it home after about 30 miles, running on maybe 2 cycl. into the drive and stalled. Tried to start it and it froze up. Pulled a plug and water came gushing out. Pulled the upper intake and holy cow. Check the pictures. photos.doughere.com. Finally something I can work with. Got a Dorman kit. All the stuff you need. The hardest part was getting those lower injector O rings on. I coated them with oil but what a job, had to fashion a plastic que tip to pull it over. Worked pretty good. The other was getting 89 inch pounds of torque. My wrench only went down to 120 on the scale. Loosened it a few more clicks and at least they are all the same.[img]photo.doughere.com[/img]. Finished it today. Runs better than before. Something to do with cleaning the throttle body and injectors. Put the AC plugs back in ,they only had 30 miles. Cleaned up the NGK for later use. Took it out for a road test after everything warmed up and she was a performer. Made the 5G and no hesitation through the gears. Ran out of room quick on these back roads in VA. I am a happy guy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:18 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1993 SLE
1998 SE
2001 SSEI
2002 SSEI
Thanks for reporting back about the issue.
Glad you've got her back up and running!