It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Turbo Bonneville
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:46 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: sold
I run a 00 GTP motor in mine. Coil packs don't matter much. You just won't use the mount on the GTP one, or you can cut it off like I did on mine. Some like the extra belt wrap from the bonnie mount. He has an SLE so there are a couple of plugs that are a little different, but you can buy the plug and play kit from any of the vendors now. Intenses is easy to use. I actaully just extended mine and ran a new wire to the PCM for the second part. The tensioner pulleys don't matter either. Biggest thing is you have to swap over the mounts from your Bonnie. GTP mounts are a bit different. But that is no big deal. If you want to go over 300HP on a blower you have to go with a cam. You just can't quite get there with rockers unless you go E85, and then it really isn't worth the cost of the 60# injectors. Might as well go with the cam IMO. But what do I know :roll: . You will just have to get a custom PCM from one of the vendors or have someone burn the SSEi file with your SLE VIN programmed in. Everything else works fine.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:11 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2012 Eco
Same-year swaps are fine, as are newer motors into older cars.

Check into the legals, as doing all the work for a un-registerable car would not be fun. Again, it could be a NY state thing, as we have emissions inspections.

Learn from the mistakes of others, that way when you mess up you can do so in new and interesting ways.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:26 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: sold
Even if it is an issue, how are they going to know that the motor is older than the car? I bet they aren't looking at block registration numbers and cross referencing. What a waste of time and money. But who knows, this is government we are talking about. Before this motor I ran a 99 GS motor which I put in in Portland, OR which is an emissions area as well. I also had emissions checked in Boise, ID where they do a full under the hood inspection and I had the polished blower and no EGR or EVAP. Never had an issue. They didn't even blink an eye.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:37 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2012 Eco
I think it's a NY state thing the more we go back and forth on it.

They check by plugging into the computer. Although for our cars there are most definitely ways around that, having passed an emissions scan with a computer from a different 3800-powered car in mine. Some other cars do not have the tuning options open to our cars and motors, so they get caught when the VIN on the computer does not match the car's VIN. And when the computer says it's for a completely different car with a different engine (think mid-90's Hondas) it's flagged as well.

HPTuners will be a friend.

My bad for bringing the issue up. Guess I'm being too cautious.

Learn from the mistakes of others, that way when you mess up you can do so in new and interesting ways.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:23 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
Would the PCM from the OP's year of SSEi take care of the problem?

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:23 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 95 se
I am watching all the turbo and cool posts these days as I\'m planning some sick stuff in my ride. Year of motor is not that important. As Supersle sez, no state would check blocks. Done lots and lots and lots of research lately, 98-03 the charged motor was not changed at all and it looks like the NA was sump\'n like 96-04. Lots of guys on www.Clubgp.com have swapped different years and things all they say is the computer is not changed so the car is the same to the state

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:32 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '02 SSEi
You know, theres a kit for Mustangs (unrelated, yes, but I'm getting there) with two turbonetics t60s that use the stock blower on the GT500 to compound the boost and make 1000rwhp on pump gas with water/meth injection. This got me thinking. I looked at the dyno sheets and the factory blower doesnt add much to the top end, but the area under the curve Is vastly larger. If I wanted poewr in spades, that's the way I'd go. Personally, my speed fix comes with fewer wheels than a car though.