It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:10 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 1994 SSEi Bonneville
Series 1 Supercharged
I have some type of air ride suspension.
It has a compressor that adjust the ride hieght of the car.
I had everything checked out and things are good. No leaks or damage to struts/shocks.
The question is simple...
"Does the age of the suspension affect it and does it need to be replaced for being old?"

The reason I ask is it is a 14 year old car. It handles well but really slams any small pot holes and it sucks in tight corners with lots of body roll and understeer. I push thru turns if I am on the throttle.

I would like to get better sway bars and a smoother ride but i am not dropping $2 grand on a full suspension redo if it is not necessary or there is significant gains.

MODS...Magnaflow Cat, Magnaflow F-body Muffler, 180*F T-stat, 2.5"pulley, Yella Terra 1.8" roller rockers, custom CAI box, 93'SSEi fuel pressure regulator(3.0BAR), Walbro HP fuel pump, reman Jasper trans, new front suspension

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:49 pm 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Location: Oregon WCBF'04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11 Survivor
Year and Trim: .
93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
I'll move your topic to Performance and Brainstorming since it's an upgrade for performance, and not a mechanical problem for the most part.

The air suspension isn't air-ride. They are conventional gas struts WITH air assist for load levelling in case you use your car to haul heavy crap around. This system is called ELC. Electonic Level Control, and the air portion of the system is a calulated part of the beefier performance spring rate of FE2 equipped cars (SSEi's all have FE2).

The stock swaybars are more than sufficient. I still run stock on the Zilla. The best thing you can do is upgrade your swaybar endlinks:

Ok....here's the deal (with ALL the details for 92-99, all models):

The link kit from GM is crap. Not sure when the change happened, but GM is using plastic spacers and washers on the new kits (verified in person at the local dealer). I think the plastic would give too much, and doesn't provide enough support for the insulators, especially on the firmer SSE/SSEi suspensions. Wanna firm up your ride?

Buy Energy Suspension kit #9.8120RC. This kit is for the left and right (front) endlinks. It's complete with BIGGER than stock bolts (and shorter, thank god), washers, and POLYURETHANE bushings (insulators). I got mine at Autozone for about $15 for BOTH sides (in the same package....full front kit). Follow the advice previously stated in this thread for install, but the kit comes with good directions, too. You don't need a maintenance manual. Just a good set of ramps and basic tools.

Wanna do the rear? Leave it to GM. They don't sell a kit for the rear. Each individual piece (bolt, nut, 2 washers, 3 insulators) have to be purchased seperately. Combined, it'll run you about $25. I have a better idea. Buy just the BOLT from GM. Get 2 of the 10026678 bolts (trust me, you want new....don't re-use the old), should run just shy of 4 bucks each. Then go to your local hardware store and buy two 8mm 'nylock' hex nuts. Fit them to the bolts to make sure, and try to get stainless steel. Now go BACK to Autozone and buy the Energy Suspension kit # 9.8105RC Bushing set. Comes with 8 washers and 8 bushings (insulators). You'll have 2 extra of each. Cost me $9 (US).

I haven't done the rear yet, but I now have a better than stock kit ready to go in for less than $20 for the rear.

Here they are lined up (left to right):

Far left, new package, old front endlinks. Far right, new rear endlink 'kit'.

They will make a PROFOUND difference in your older suspension. Better than factory condition. VERY inexpensive and fairly easy to do as well.

In addition, your rear struts can be upgraded. I concentrate on the rear first, as the car is setup from the factory with a rear imbalance to cause understeer, and keep you safe. I've invested alot more time in my rear suspension upgrades than the front. Monroe Sensatrac ELC struts (you must keep the air function) are a GREAT upgrade for factory struts, especially if yours are old.

In addition, (keep in mind my fronts are also upgraded), I still felt a little rear 'looseness' and went with nascar style rear spring rubbers.

I'll show you at WCBF. You can drive the Zilla and see the effect in comparison.

PontiacDad at WCBF '04: Cruise control? That's like surrendering!
Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:15 am 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 2000 SE, 2008 Trek 3700
^^^^^What he said :)

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:31 am 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Series 1 Supercharged
Awesome! I will do the swaybar links as my next project after the CAI on June 14th weekend.
I should be able to do a bunch of stuff now that I joined a local club!

Now one thing I don't understand is...are the old struts weaker for being old or do they perform the same as newer ones because there are no leaks? Sort of a hydraulics question.

The rears have springs over the struts. What about the springs?

I just want to make sure I am upgrading the car in small increments that will benefit the car.

MODS...Magnaflow Cat, Magnaflow F-body Muffler, 180*F T-stat, 2.5"pulley, Yella Terra 1.8" roller rockers, custom CAI box, 93'SSEi fuel pressure regulator(3.0BAR), Walbro HP fuel pump, reman Jasper trans, new front suspension

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:58 am 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
The struts are traditional gas-filled struts with a seperate air assist for ELC. Either part of that can get tired over time, independent of the other.

In most cases, your springs will be fine. Keep in mind, you also have CCR on a 94. Computer Command Ride changes the damping rate by use of a valve on each strut. You will lose this function when you upgrade, as even if the CCR struts are avaialble, they're horribly expensive. That being said, there are struts out there that will make you NOT miss the CCR. It's not much of a change from one mode to another. If BOTH the Performance and Touring ride lights are on, your CCR has already failed.

Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:25 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1999 Regal LS
Sorry this is coming a bit late, but after a great deal of research, I discovered that I could install an Addco model 419 (Part Number: K1-419-0U) rear anti-sway bar. The kit flattens my LeSabre out rather nicely in hard cornering and creates a tiny bit of oversteer. The kit includes some nice polyurethane endlinks and bushings and some beefy modified mounts (which I have not installed yet). I modified my flimsy stock mounts and they are still holding up, but the Addco modified mounts are much better. The kit cost me under $150 in March and it looks like it now costs about $220. It should work nicely on your Bonneville, as it was designed for a Bonneville in the first place.

The 98 LeSabre's mod list (a tribute to my favorite H body "hotrod"): Addco model 419 7/8" rear anti-sway bar, Energy front swaybar endlinks, Badlanz electric exhaust cutout, Thrush turbo muffler with custom tailpipe, modified PCM by Sinister Performance, ScanGuageII, 180 deg. t-stat, gutted airbox, rear air lift kit, Bonneville 16" gold crosslace rims, aftermarket stereo and speakers w/ Infinity Basslink sub, Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30 and Mobil(?) Dexron VI tranny fluid, Prestone long life coolant (DIE DEXCOOL!)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:46 pm 
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin

Year and Trim: 03 SLE, 95 SE, 95 TS SE
for $12 I installed an SSEi Rear Sway Bar( 21mm ) on my 95 SE, and on the front for another $12 I installed the 32mm front sway bar... Makes a big difference... But I also installed the F41/FE2 Springs Front/Rear and air assist struts in the rear

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:51 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 1998 Bonneville SE?
Do exactly what willwren said. Time and money well spent. You'll notice the difference.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:29 am 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
madmax032 wrote:
Sorry this is coming a bit late, but after a great deal of research, I discovered that I could install an Addco model 419 (Part Number: K1-419-0U) rear anti-sway bar. The kit flattens my LeSabre out rather nicely in hard cornering and creates a tiny bit of oversteer. The kit includes some nice polyurethane endlinks and bushings and some beefy modified mounts (which I have not installed yet). I modified my flimsy stock mounts and they are still holding up, but the Addco modified mounts are much better. The kit cost me under $150 in March and it looks like it now costs about $220. It should work nicely on your Bonneville, as it was designed for a Bonneville in the first place.

That sounds like a good option for you and others with the FE1 suspension, but the topic author has FE2 already. With the beefier swaybars jr's3800 mentioned above.

FE1 can benefit from an FE2 rear bar, but I'd caution that you can introduce some handling imbalance that way. I suggest upgrading your front bar to the FE2 spec, or at LEAST upgrade your front struts and/or swaybar endlinks. Some of that oversteer may go away.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:27 pm 

Year and Trim: 03 SLE, 95 SE, 95 TS SE
Yes somehow I missed that Bill.. All SSEi's had the largest sway Bars that you would find on an H body... And most of the time the stiffest spring setting... Bushings, Endlinks and new struts would do the car a world of good..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:22 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 2004 Bonneville GXP
1997 Oldsmobile LSS L67 - SOLD
But the Olds Touring Sedan did have a 22 mm rear bar. Admittedly a C body.

Madmax, any idea how thick that bar was? Probably fun to drive with it balanced that way.

95 Oldsmobile 98 L36. 180 degree thermostat. Tru-Cool tranny cooler. Touring Sedan wheels. FE3 springs. Urethane End Links. Magnaflow Cat 94006 -> Soon to be replaced by something that works. WAI. Ported and polished LIM.
Mods coming soon - . Touring Sedan seats. TS Sway bars. - Sold

97 Oldsmobile LSS L67 - Stock. For now. - Sold

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:17 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1999 Regal LS
Addco lists my particular bar as 7/8 inches or about 22mm. It is a heavy, solid core bar. Being as I have a mushy, "Dynaride" suspension, stiffening up the tail end really gives it character.

Jr, where were you able to come by a front bar for $12? Is that bar solid or tubular? My 30mm tubular front bar is quite uninspiring.

The 98 LeSabre's mod list (a tribute to my favorite H body "hotrod"): Addco model 419 7/8" rear anti-sway bar, Energy front swaybar endlinks, Badlanz electric exhaust cutout, Thrush turbo muffler with custom tailpipe, modified PCM by Sinister Performance, ScanGuageII, 180 deg. t-stat, gutted airbox, rear air lift kit, Bonneville 16" gold crosslace rims, aftermarket stereo and speakers w/ Infinity Basslink sub, Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30 and Mobil(?) Dexron VI tranny fluid, Prestone long life coolant (DIE DEXCOOL!)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:39 pm 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
You got the same bar as OEM FE2 (all SSEi's and a few sub-models like my SLE). Try your local wreckers or try www.car-part.com to locate one. Be advised the price listed is what you'll hear over the phone. I suggest finding a local yard that has one listed, then go PERSONALLY to the yard and ask how much. More often than not, you'll get a reduced rate, especially if you pull it yourself.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:16 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 2004 Bonneville GXP
1997 Oldsmobile LSS L67 - SOLD
willwren wrote:
You got the same bar as OEM FE2 (all SSEi's and a few sub-models like my SLE). Try your local wreckers or try http://www.car-part.com to locate one. Be advised the price listed is what you'll hear over the phone. I suggest finding a local yard that has one listed, then go PERSONALLY to the yard and ask how much. More often than not, you'll get a reduced rate, especially if you pull it yourself.

I thought the FE2 bar was a 21mm?

95 Oldsmobile 98 L36. 180 degree thermostat. Tru-Cool tranny cooler. Touring Sedan wheels. FE3 springs. Urethane End Links. Magnaflow Cat 94006 -> Soon to be replaced by something that works. WAI. Ported and polished LIM.
Mods coming soon - . Touring Sedan seats. TS Sway bars. - Sold

97 Oldsmobile LSS L67 - Stock. For now. - Sold

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:49 pm 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
What's the spring rate? Design? Length? Retention points? Alloy?

Your 22 may very well be weaker than an OEM FE2 bar. Comparisons can't be made without some research. The point I'm making is that the FE2 bar from the wrecker might have been what you were after all along. It IS a performance upgrade for your FE1-equipped car.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:42 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 205,000 km
Don't want to dig up an old thread, but since this is very related...

I wanted to do this upgrade as well. You stated they don't have a kit for the rear, but when I was searching online I found a "rear" set for the same part number as the front set.

Front:

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/pr ... 20%5FFront

Rear:

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/pr ... 120%5FRear

Will this kit not work?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:23 am 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 1999 SSEi
1997 SSEi-Resting-353K
something not mentioned here is subframe bushings. All 12 pieces will run about 8/piece if purchaced through GMPD.

make sure you order a couple of the #1 pieces, you will find 1 or 2 of your old ones bad

email gmpd with you vin# so you get the correct bushings, the ones listed are for a 97

this will drastically improve the feel of your front end

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:32 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2001 BMW 330i
ZSP Sport Pack
Moonroof
From my experience, doing both front and rear bars still keeps the car prone to understeer. To really improve turn in, upgrading only the rear bar makes it turn better.

The car will ride flatter with both, but stiffening the rear will, IMO bring the car into a much more neutral feeling. I wouldn't dare call it oversteer however. IIRC there's an addco part for upgrading 92-99 cars, since you've got essentially the GM best already, toss a good one in the rear IMO.

Good dampers will help fix ride issues such as the jarring you describe over bumps. Get some decent struts, rent a spring compressor or find a buddy with some, and DIY. Getting a rear bar will allow the car to turn in harder. Doing both will make the entire car corner flatter overall.

The front bar is an absolute PITA btw.

- Titanium Silver - Sport Package - 3 Pedals - Koni Yellow/H&R Sport
2006 Volkswagen GTI - (gone) Tornado Red - DSG, Stage II~280hp/325tq
1993 Pontiac Bonneville - (gone) Purple Pearl H4U/SLE. Loud

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:28 am 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Series 1 Supercharged
What store do I buy the sway bar link kits from?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:29 pm 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
Autozone. The stock the energy suspension endlink kits.