It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Exhaust Rattling
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:00 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2005 Bonneville SE
So eons ago I converted my stock single exit to a dual exit from an SSEI on my 2005 SE, recently they began to rattle or make noise when i turn or hit bumps in the road. Since ive had this issue before i assumed it might be those black rubber insulators connecting the muffler to the bracket on the frame. Maybe my replacements were too cheap and not quality(since they were 5 bucks for two) as they still make the same noise... Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Exhaust Rattling
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:54 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 1993 Buick Park Avenue
1994 Buick Regal Custom
Jack it up, and start banging it.

Your rattle should become apparent.

And, are you sure those are not hangers? If they are hangers, the exhaust should drop when they fail.

Also, check to make sure there isn't something actually rattling around inside the muffler.

1993 Buick Park Avenue - 197k - Some odds and ends done - Simply won't die
1994 Buick Regal - 78k - Bone stock - Always ready for a good kicking
1990 Oldsmobile 88 - Gone to a better place

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:44 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
I have a rock in one of my mufflers which you can only hear occasionally.

Only way to figure this out is to get under there and smack it or wiggle it and see where the rattle is coming from. An easy way to do this would be to reverse the car onto the some ramps.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:52 pm 
LE Member

RJolly87 wrote:
Jack it up, and start banging it.

Your rattle should become apparent.

And, are you sure those are not hangers? If they are hangers, the exhaust should drop when they fail.

Also, check to make sure there isn't something actually rattling around inside the muffler.

Ive rattled them around myself and there doesn't seem to be anything IN them but the little black whatchamacallits do sag abnormally, the look identical to the ones i took off as far as being worn. Which is confusing as they were brand new.. I was thinking about going for the metal hangers but i dont know the first think about installing them :dontknow:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:16 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 2013 Regal GS
The way I put mine together (SSEi exhaust on SE), mine rattles when I go a bit too hard over a bump while turning - while backing out of a driveway, for example. It only rattles when the front end goes over the bump. I think the noise comes from the pipe (after the resonator, right before the y-pipe) banging against the metal bracket that is bolted to the car, which surrounds 1/2 of the pipe. Sometimes it sounds like the noise comes from the muffler area, but when I had to take both off a month or so ago, no noise came from the muffler. The rubber part of the hooks could be allowing your exhaust to move around enough to hit something underneath and make the noise you describe.

(yes, there is a story behind my avatar.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:28 pm 
LE Member

luke_dubs wrote:
The way I put mine together (SSEi exhaust on SE), mine rattles when I go a bit too hard over a bump while turning - while backing out of a driveway, for example. It only rattles when the front end goes over the bump. I think the noise comes from the pipe (after the resonator, right before the y-pipe) banging against the metal bracket that is bolted to the car, which surrounds 1/2 of the pipe. Sometimes it sounds like the noise comes from the muffler area, but when I had to take both off a month or so ago, no noise came from the muffler. The rubber part of the hooks could be allowing your exhaust to move around enough to hit something underneath and make the noise you describe.

Yeah you're on to something because i can wiggle it side to side freely like nothings holding it, im gonna get some better quality rubber hangers to see if it continues. Also this is unrelated but since we're talking exhaust why not, my cat has gone bad and has been for ages but i was thinking about going with the zzp catless downpipe since emission regulations are non existent in my area and i can go for more sound. Is there anything else i would need to make the code go away?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:16 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
I have not been under the last Gen Bonneville to investigate the exhaust. I did have an exhaust rattle on the '92 I had. It was a slightly loose bolt on a heatshield. It was stripped when an alignment was done on the car. The alignment tech was jerking and pulling on the exhaust to get to the rear suspension. I found it while trying to fix another problem. I just put in a larger self tapping bolt. Hopefully it is an easily repaired loose heatshield. - BC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:29 am 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 1990 SSE
It may be a bad heatshield, it was common on older cars... My old Cutlass Supreme had that issue.