It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:25 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 1995 pontiac bonneville se
so ever sense i bought my 95 se i was thinking of how to increase power and i came up with the crazy idea of putting a northstar from a Cadillac in it. i would like to turbo it some day and want to make sure its ready for it, also i am unsure what year i should go with . some people said i should go with the older ones as they have forged internals, but i don't know what year that is. my biggest hurdle for me is keeping the instrument cluster stock looking, i would like to stay looking stock so no one knows it has a northstar under the hood until i step on it. is there a way to make the northstar work with the instrument cluster or will i have to replace it with something else? and what about the accessories, will the accessories on a 95 se fit a northstar or will i have to change then (power steering, a/c, ext)? any other advise/tips for doing this would be greatly appreciated. hopfuly this was the right place to post this.

before I even put it in the car I plan on putting the bulletproof kit on it from Northstar performance, which is suregrip head stud kit, main stud kit, and mps head gaskets. And also having the rest of it looked at to see what needs to be replaced/fixed.

Last edited by soundman9826 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:31 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 1993 Buick Park Avenue
1994 Buick Regal Custom
Honestly, most end up going the path of least resistance, and swapping in a Series 2 3800 supercharged. You can easily make the same power, and easily use parts off the shelf.

Even adding forced induction to the engine you have would be a decent route.

I have never heard of anyone swapping in a Northstar. Generally, they end up getting yanked out. The aftermarket modifications available are much less, they are a very tight fit in to the engine bay, and they generally don't have the same life span the 3800 does.

1993 Buick Park Avenue - 197k - Some odds and ends done - Simply won't die
1994 Buick Regal - 78k - Bone stock - Always ready for a good kicking
1990 Oldsmobile 88 - Gone to a better place

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:25 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
If you want to run a northstar and keep your gauge cluster stock, you'll have to research which cadillacs don't use the serial data bus to transmit data to the cluster. I don't know much about Caddy electronics, or even '00+ Bonneville stuff yet, and I don't know which models are setup like that.. So I can't tell you if that is able to be done with a GM PCM, or if one of the aftermarket contol systems would work (ie, megasquirt).

I can tell you that your gauge cluster only needs simple inputs, which on the 3800 are direct lines to sensors. So you might be able to piggyback the cluster fairly simply if you can't find a NorthStar pcm that has those ouputs.

If you don't have any experience with engine swaps like this, I recommend having somebody help you that does. You will need the chassis service manuals for both the donor and the project vehicle, know how to read wiring diagrams and understand +12v DC circuits, and have a familiarity with all the inputs/outputs on both engines to know how to integrate everything. Then you have to physically fit the motor in, which may require custom motor mounts and welding. Then there's the transmission, power steering rack clearances. I don't think the Northstar was ever offered in a C/H body car so finding something that will bolt-in is going to be a challenge.

I would start by checking out the C-body Cadillac motor mount brackets, compare them with the K-body Northstars and see if you can find something to bolt up. I don't know what is needed to make a NorthStar bolt in, or if you have to make custom mount brackets.

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type