It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PCM Tune
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:35 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 01 SLE
What parameters would I want to tweak for a daily driver. Not looking to wind the snot out of it all the time so I'm thinking shift points are probably fine stock. I can always shift manually if i want.
Just wondering what I can do to make it the best it can be without going crazy and I'm not familiar with all the parameters.
Also, is there anyone in my area capable of doing it as I'd rather go that route than a canned tune and it's not worth me buying hp tuners.

Post subject: Re: PCM Tune
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:41 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 95 SLE
On a stock valvetrain L36, it's not really worth it.

98 Infiniti vq35'd i30: 13.3@104mph, 30MPG Hwy (RIP)
02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
07 Infiniti G35s 6MT (Sold)
07 Ducati Monster S2R 800 with DS1000 swap
83 Yamaha IT175K
72 Yamaha DS7: '74 RD250 swap, JL chambers

Info on dropping a 92-99: Here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:00 am 
GXP Member
GXP Member

I plan on doing 1.9:1 rockers and 90# Springs if that matters.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:41 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 95 SLE
ZZP ER rockers are dyno proven to be the best ratio for an L36. L76 springs (with LS style retainers) are a better choice as well. The ramp rate isn't as aggressive as the LS6(I'm assuming since you said 90#), there's less spring failures, and it won't wear the timing chain and tensioner as bad.

Some sort of tune after rockers would benefit you more than now.

98 Infiniti vq35'd i30: 13.3@104mph, 30MPG Hwy (RIP)
02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
07 Infiniti G35s 6MT (Sold)
07 Ducati Monster S2R 800 with DS1000 swap
83 Yamaha IT175K
72 Yamaha DS7: '74 RD250 swap, JL chambers

Info on dropping a 92-99: Here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:31 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
I have tuned my car for both 87 and 93 octane and gained barely anything (I am NA with many basic mods). What I did like was the trans tune, which made the trans behave in a more modern way. Less throttle input for downshifts, etc. I went through Overkill and am very satisfied all in all.

Just don't do it thinking you'll even notice ANY power bump. Maybe very slightly, but that's hard to quantify.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:10 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

I'm not looking for power so much as better driveability like the Trans tune really. Better throttle response. That sort of thing.
I've got the Intense FWI, 180° thermostat, and the Transgo Shift Kit is going in when i get around to it. Are there fan settings that would make sense? Timing? That sort of stuff is really what I'm looking for. I mean a little hp bump obviously would be cool but I'm not out to beat on my ride and wind the p!ss out of it either.

One of the reasons I've decided to keep this one of all the Bonnevilles I've had this past year is the motor is in extremely good shape for its age. Good compression/oil pressure. Even better than the 05 with only 119,000. I attribute this to the excessive services this car has had since day 1 which I have all the records for from a dealership. Oil was being changed many times with less than a 1000 miles on it. At roughly 1500 miles now and I can't even see the oil on the dipstick. That's how clean this motor is inside. And it runs like it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:53 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Definitely go with an Overkill tune then, you'll love it for the way the trans behaves, especially when coupled with a shift kit. I love mine for that reason especially. Shifts are crisp and quick. It'll hold gears longer if you have more throttle applied. The KR seems to be kept more at bay, which doesn't translate to more power outright, but the car feels torquier in low RPMs such as accelerating in third or fourth. You can shift into first at 40MPH and below instead of 35MPH and below. The car winds out to the full 6,000 RPM, even though the motor doesn't make any power there, it still is kinda cool. The limiter is removed, although I don't know how frequently you venture above 108 MPH.

Fan settings to correspond with the 180 thermostat will keep the engine cooler, as well as the trans. Your fans will also run for a minute or so when you turn the key off if the coolant temp is over 180.

Will tuned my car via the internet, since I have HPT, I sent him scans. 87 versus 93 octane is noticeable.. But very VERY barely. I'd recommend sticking to 87.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:37 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Yeah that's really all I'm looking for. I might just skip the rockers. We'll see. I'm not looking for numbers at the track and it runs so *dang* good now. The Trans tune and keep it and the motor cool as possible with fan settings.
I run 91 octane from BP now. Seems to like it better than 87.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:10 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Anyone in my general vicinity capable of tweaking a few parameters, I'll drive there and pay ya.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:07 am 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Maybe buying hp tuners would be a good idea since no one around here has it. Pay for itself in no time I bet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:25 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

That depends on what vehicles you own or will own from GM in the future. To tune an L36 for $500 is a bit excessive.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:01 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
jradke61 wrote:
Maybe buying hp tuners would be a good idea since no one around here has it. Pay for itself in no time I bet.

Tuning other people's cars is a HUGE liability. You gotta know what you're doing before you just start changing *shoot*...

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:38 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

I'm not knew to tuning PCMs by any means. If I can figure out CAT ET and do big trucks even injector trim codes, and on my $60,0000 truck I made a living with, I think I can figure out how to change a few parameters on my car. But thanks for the warning.
I know enough people around here that don't frequent forums that come to me for tune ups, repairs, etc. that I'm fairly confident I can pay for the thing. Not even sure where half of them come from. lol I turn more people away than anything cuz I just don't have the time. Neighbor tells his uncle, that sort of thing.
I'm just not paying full tune prices and sending my pcm off for what I want.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:56 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Just to elaborate on my confidence and self assuredness, 90% of it is learning the software. I taught myself computers back in the day when processors of 350mh were kick a$$. I was good enough in no time to get a job as a techie at the local computer shop with absolutely 0 formal training.
Part of my job was to teach YOU how to use YOUR software. Software I had often never seen before.
I built the computers for all the new Culvers popping up across the country (based in Sauk Prairie, WI) to run their POS equipment. No, that's not piece of sh!t. lol
On an even larger scale was my affiliation with Raven Software out of Madison, WI. Developers of FPS games like SOF, SOF2, and QUAKE4. Especially SOF2 tho. I built the computers they used to make that game, beta tested the game, and most notably moderated their tech support forums. Now this was a game that pushed many systems beyond their capabilities in processor speed and especially vid card capability. And it was worldwide.
I don't think i have to tell you what happened at that forum when all the kiddies and young adults showed up blaming the game when their pos computers were crashing like wildfire trying to play it with sub standard equipment.
My online screen name became known overnight all over the world in the FPS community and if you frequented the Raven Software tech support forums before and after the release of SOF2, I guarantee you know who I am.
Just a bit of background on me, some nostalgia, and possibly finding an old acquaintance or two tho I realize the BC is quite small comparatively and many of you too young to know wtf I'm even talking about but ya never know. lol
Any old SOF2 junkies here?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:07 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2001 Bonneville SSEi
2005 Bonneville GXP *Sold*
nos4blood70 wrote:
Definitely go with an Overkill tune then, you'll love it for the way the trans behaves, especially when coupled with a shift kit. I love mine for that reason especially. Shifts are crisp and quick. It'll hold gears longer if you have more throttle applied. The KR seems to be kept more at bay, which doesn't translate to more power outright, but the car feels torquier in low RPMs such as accelerating in third or fourth. You can shift into first at 40MPH and below instead of 35MPH and below. The car winds out to the full 6,000 RPM, even though the motor doesn't make any power there, it still is kinda cool. The limiter is removed, although I don't know how frequently you venture above 108 MPH.

Fan settings to correspond with the 180 thermostat will keep the engine cooler, as well as the trans. Your fans will also run for a minute or so when you turn the key off if the coolant temp is over 180.

Will tuned my car via the internet, since I have HPT, I sent him scans. 87 versus 93 octane is noticeable.. But very VERY barely. I'd recommend sticking to 87.

Personally, I had already planned on going with Overkill for my tune as well. I've seen a number of people with similar results (extremely happy), HOWEVER...I've e-mailed Overkill using their listed contact e-mail 3 different times over the last month and have been unable to get a single response.

It's leaving me quite leery of the whole thing....if I can't get a response before the sale, what am I going to get if I need one after????

2001 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi, 3.4" MPS, Intense Tune, SD headers, high-flow Cat, GXP exhaust, Modified Air Intake, 180* thermostat, GXP: 18" GXP wheels w/255/45/18 tires, CF Trim, Brakes and Strut Tower Brace. SOON TO HAVE: GXP Swaybars.

1972 Olds Cutlass Convertible / 461ci Olds / TH400 / 3.08 Posi. 13.62 @ 99.7 MPH......Got torque?

Yes, I seem to be drawn to GM's orphaned cars......