It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:32 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1996 Pontiac Bonneville SE
OK So I have a Bonneville Build started and my original goal was just a top swap and tranny swap ( I killed my tranny). However I have decided I want to build this thing to be a little bit of a beast. I currently have the K-Frame dropped along with everything attached to it. I have the motor tore down to the block and the suspension stuff detached from the K-Frame. I plan on lowering the car 2-3 inches so I am working on that, However I am wanting to put about 300-350 to the wheels. 300 is really the goal but 350 is def a dream at this point. I am basically looking for suggestions at this point. I would like to do this right and make this a reliable build. The car will be getting supercharged. At this Time I dont know if I want to build a top swapped motor (Higher compression) or just go supercharged bottom end. I plan on building the top and Possibly freshening up the bottom end. So any upgrade suggestions to achieve this goal and make this reliable are appriciated. I am also going to be upgrading the Diff with an LSD unit and a HD upgrade kit.

1996 Pontiac Bonneville
Series II 3800 L36
4T60E (YES ITS A 60)

Modular pulley Size?
Rockers?
Cams?
Porting?
Intercooler?

Suggestions??

Ill post progress Pictures as I go

Thanks, Will post some pictures of my current progress in a few

Last edited by kcirrab on Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:41 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Current progress before yesterday

Here is a photoshopped Draft of what I want the car to look like when its done Externally

Here is what it currently looks like (before I took it apart)
(Sorry about the Crappy Picture)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:45 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Drove 300 miles and Picked this up Yesterday.

Came out of a 2001 Buick Regal GS 85k miles

It has different brackets tho (Alternator brackets and Motor mounts etc.) and I could use some info on converting the brackets and mounts to be H-Body Friendly haha..

Also Some info on how to convert back to the 1996 SSEI Alternator would be great info also.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:29 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
It's easier to make power with topswaps because of the higher compression. They make anywhere between 5-10% more power than L67s.

But anyways, with either motor 300 wheel will not be tough. A cam, headers, intercooler, pulley, E85 set up will get you quite a bit beyond that providing you can get a good tune. The trans will definitely need attention and I would suggest using the 4T65.

I'll let others chime in the with the nitty gritty swap details, but you should be able to use the Regal motor in your Bonne with no greater problems.

The photo shop of the lowered car looks great, have you considered different wheels?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:43 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

I have defiantly considered different wheels but I like the 5 spoke stock design maybe with some black gloss powder coat . idk yet. any wheel suggestions?

I am also looking for some Headers that dont cost as much as a Cam lol. any suggestions?

Also I am not opposed to the 4T65 but I like the adjustable vacuum Modulator on the 4t60 so I can adjust shifts on the fly. I will be upgrading with some 65 internals

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:26 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Speed daddy headers are the best cost/performance. The newer ones will need the crossover pipe cut right at the throttle body, they are not bent correctly, and there is a simple clamp you can use to reconnect it if you don't have access to a MIG or TIG. That clamp costs $10. I would RTV all the joints / gaskets, and don't use any gaskets that come with the kit. I recommend getting better hardware than they come with. There are some photos of the crossover pipe on the forum somewhere.

You will need H-body mounts at the very least. I believe you need all of the L67 H-body alternator / tensioner & bracket to change it over to the H-body alternator.

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:08 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 1996 Bonneville S/SE
Do you plan upgrading the exterior and interior to SSE/i status?

http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/performance-brainstorming/topic43633.html
2002 Pro Stock Pontiac Firebird**GM 399 Splayed Valve Engine
1996 Pontiac Bonneville SE/SSE **100% Transformation from SE to SSE Complete**Lowered 2.00inches too**

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:27 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Speedster400 wrote:

Yes Sir. That is defiantly in the plan. I am in the process on working out the details on swapping out the clusters. And Installing HUD. Any info would be appreciated. I may or may not swap out the climate controls. I kinda like the manual controls but like the looks of the digital.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:30 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Speedster400 wrote:

I am VERY VERY VERY interested in how you lowered tour car?
Mine was lowered about an inch before I pulled the K-Frame because I cut the springs. Handles honestly a bit better and was lower but road like *shoot* lol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:34 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 95 SLE
Click the link in my signature for lowering info.

98 Infiniti vq35'd i30: 13.3@104mph, 30MPG Hwy (RIP)
02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
07 Infiniti G35s 6MT (Sold)
07 Ducati Monster S2R 800 with DS1000 swap
83 Yamaha IT175K
72 Yamaha DS7: '74 RD250 swap, JL chambers

Info on dropping a 92-99: Here.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:08 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

95naSTA wrote:

Man I absolutely love your car. It is what inspired my Lowered Photoshop Picture above. I am printing the PDF now. My goal for this car is to make a quick low and pretty decent handling DD. I know it sounds crazy for such a large FWD car but its the goal. Again I cant get over how awesome your car looks and how much time and work you put into it! Truely amazing dude! any extra info you may provide will be greatly appreciated! P.S on my Cut spring setup I experimented with I learned that -1° camber to -1.5° camber drastically improved handling in quick movement conditions. Something you might Experiment with. The stock knuckles are slotted a little for camber adjustment. Idk about the 00+

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:39 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 1996 Bonneville S/SE
I ended up going to coilspring.com for the springs. Exterior body panels are readily available @junk yard. Grille is hard to find. I got the last new one from GM that was in the system in north America. Get ready to be shocked when it comes to the prices of the clips that hold the exterior door panels on. The upper row is out of production, VPC doesn't even have them. You will need to find them in the junk yard. the bottom row of clips and rocker panels are still available, just expensive. Also, because you have an SE, the weld studs will not be present on your doors for the clips. you can either rivet the clips on, or get the GM recommended screw in studs from au-ve-co. I completed the swap in two weeks. This included new fenders, rocker panels, refinishing the entire underside of the car,new floor pans plus all of the moldings. see link in my sig. If you get bumpers/panels/rocker panels from the junk yard, don't work about fixing them. They are easy to repair, just takes time.

http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/performance-brainstorming/topic43633.html
2002 Pro Stock Pontiac Firebird**GM 399 Splayed Valve Engine
1996 Pontiac Bonneville SE/SSE **100% Transformation from SE to SSE Complete**Lowered 2.00inches too**

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:55 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 95 SLE
kcirrab wrote:
Man I absolutely love your car. It is what inspired my Lowered Photoshop Picture above. I am printing the PDF now. My goal for this car is to make a quick low and pretty decent handling DD. I know it sounds crazy for such a large FWD car but its the goal. Again I cant get over how awesome your car looks and how much time and work you put into it! Truely amazing dude! any extra info you may provide will be greatly appreciated! P.S on my Cut spring setup I experimented with I learned that -1° camber to -1.5° camber drastically improved handling in quick movement conditions. Something you might Experiment with. The stock knuckles are slotted a little for camber adjustment. Idk about the 00+

Cheers!

Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate it man!

The only thing I can think of that's not mentioned in the pdf is that the strut bolt holes in the 00+ knuckle are slightly larger than the W-body. You can either use W-body bolts or enlarge the W-body strut's holes to use the 00+ H-body bolts. I run the W-body bolts and had no issues aligning the car over the 30k or so I've ran W-body front struts.

I'm about -1.5° of negative camber all around. I went from -1 to -1.5 up front when I did the alignment last. I definitely prefer the feel and handling improvement.

Stock H-body struts/shocks have slotted lower bolt holes but the W-body front struts do not. Camber bolts in the bottom will allow for the same adjustment.

98 Infiniti vq35'd i30: 13.3@104mph, 30MPG Hwy (RIP)
02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
07 Infiniti G35s 6MT (Sold)
07 Ducati Monster S2R 800 with DS1000 swap
83 Yamaha IT175K
72 Yamaha DS7: '74 RD250 swap, JL chambers

Info on dropping a 92-99: Here.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:43 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

I am thinking Cam, Headers (maybe PLOG?), Full size intercooler, and a 3.0-3.25" pulley. and trans work. now the question is What Cam Intercooler and Headers should I buy? haha

OH! and cant forget about the 3" downpipe from ZZP unless you guys know of a cheaper one haha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:01 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi.

LOTS of Mods
its a catch 22, you. With a cam and supporting mods you will want headers. The problem is the front trans mount on the 96-99 H bodies and the Trans Connector. It will take some fabrication to make everything work

also if your doing headers, you can actually forget about the 3" downpipe because the headers will take care of that

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:11 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Does anyone know where I can find a set of Speed Daddy headers? Ebay does not seam to have them? or maybe Im just blind.

Also What Cam would you recommend for stock heads? and what ratio Rockers? 1.8? 1.9? what brand? and with that combo what pulley size do you recommend? and would you suggest an intercooler? if so which one and maybe Links?

Thanks in advance Everyone!

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:45 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1998 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI_ZZP-stage#1_#M90
95naSTA wrote:

Could you please shoot me an email, I have read your whole thread on lowering your bonneville and i have a few questions.
adamstambaugh097@gmail.com