It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:04 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 ssei
Hello, I am a new 2000 ssei owner.

I am making my way through the maintenance checklist but I was just curious about what people think about a ZZ performance tune with everything stock. I live about 15 miles from ZZ and wanted to get some opinions before getting one.

What kind of performance gains would be expected with a tune on my stock ssei? 1/4 mile and 0-60 time differences?

BTW, what do these cars get in the 1/4 mile stock?

Also, I have been hearing a little about engine mounts, do these help with FWD launch? Any other tips on how to get a good launch with this car? Traction control on or off?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:09 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
ZZP's tune will do nothing if you don't have mods. You most certainly will have a little KR with your stock setup. You need mods to be able to flow more air and then a tune to add more fuel and possibly timing will help. I think you will also be better off finding someone in your area with HP Tuners or DHP and have them do a custom tune. ZZP is not known for having good customer service...

Stock 1/4 Mile time is in the neighborhood of 15.3 @ 90 miles an hour. However, every car is different.

Without supporting mods, you won't gain much from a tune alone. However, a tune will really wake up a mildly modded car.

Going to a solid front mount will help prevent loss through weak mounts, making the torque go into spinning the tires, not working against the mounts.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:34 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Sorry for the ignorance but what is KR?

While I was doing some maintenance i was looking at the stock intake box and it seems like it would flow pretty good with a k&N drop in.

I have a 2004 trailblazer that is all stock with a tuned pcm and it seemed to wake it up pretty good.

What would you suggest as the best bang for the buck mod without getting into tearing the engine apart?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:44 pm 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Location: Oregon WCBF'04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11 Survivor
Year and Trim: .
93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
Kraker, a Trailblazer has a pretty mild PCM to begin with. The 3800 was performance built from the initial design phase by Buick, and remains so. It's factory tune is a different animal than a Trailblazer or a Kia. A tune on a factory setup would probably not be perceptible or AS perceptible on a modern 3800, particularly in a Pontiac.

Knock is caused by several factors, and is more prevalent in boosted engines. Every time the knock sensor (two in your case) 'hears' knock (the cylinder pre-ignites before the spark pulse due to heat, low octane, advanced timing, high compression etc), a tiny amount of damage occurs. The PCM then retards timing to prevent it, robbing power from the engine.

Knock Retard. KR.

PontiacDad at WCBF '04: Cruise control? That's like surrendering!
Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

Last edited by willwren on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:09 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

gotcha, thanks for the info.

I have to say, the car feels amazing already, especially compared to the 2003 v6 mustang I had. The only place the mustang had it beat is with the hole shot since it is RWD. The Bonneville just seems to spin too easily. The roads are cold and fairly wet here still so I guess I won't really be able to see how well it can hook up until I can get on some dry pavement with warm tires.

Is there any inexpensive "$200 or less" mods that anyone can recommend to get the most out of the car, or am I better off just leaving it stock if I don't want to spend a ton of money on it?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:24 pm 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Location: Oregon WCBF'04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11 Survivor
Year and Trim: .
93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
For the $200 range, I'd do the hockey puck motor mount and a FWI.

The care will breathe a ton better, you'll feel the difference and with the mount, you'll put the power to the ground.

PontiacDad at WCBF '04: Cruise control? That's like surrendering!
Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:36 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2008 BMW 535xi
Then for your next $200 (this is all assuming the general maintenance has been done and brought up to date of course), a 180* tstat, 3.6 inch sc pulley, ZZP or Intense PCM...

Then for your next $200 a high flow cat.

Then the next 3 or 4 $200, headers and downpipe...

Oh boy are you in for it. I got lucky and blew my motor up so I "HAD" to replace everything and build her from the ground up hehe.