It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:17 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
So today I switched to a Smoothflow MPS, as they're much closer, and shipping will be much faster, as well as the fact that Marty has that same MPS, so we can swap pulleys, etc. So I went with a 3.6, as I knew my 3.4 was too small, and afterwards I did a thorough test drive, and had interesting results. I reset my Fuel Trims with my Aeroforce's Bi-directional controls, and my LTFT's locked in at 0.0 at WOT, and my timing was at 14.5*, going to 12.5* about a second before shifts. I felt no noticeable power loss, and I think it's because I was at a much more acceptable A/F ratio, and was able to use full timing. I had no KR before with my custom tune, but my car wasn't running at it's full potential, and I could feel it, because I was so rich to combat KR. It actually felt much better with the larger pulley, if that makes sense. Any other thoughts that maybe I missed as to why this is the way it is? If I don't make sense, i apologize, I've been a little sleep-deprived this week.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:33 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Location: Adair Village, OR Survivor: WCBF '06, WCBF '07, WCBF '08
Year and Trim: 1996 VW Jetta 2.0 with Eaton m45
Running rich to suppress KR is called fuel dumping. The extra fuel cools the intake charge and acts as a buffer in the combustion process. Spin the blower slower and it makes less heat; the air is denser and, less prone to detonation. You can run more timing and a better optimized A:F.

As you pulley down you will reach a point of diminishing returns and eventually a point of negative returns.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:19 am 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Location: Oregon WCBF'04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11 Survivor
Year and Trim: .
93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
If you have a choice between more timing and a smaller pulley, go for the timing always.

PontiacDad at WCBF '04: Cruise control? That's like surrendering!
Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:50 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 1996 Bonneville SSEi
Is that an initial scan or is your ECU eons different than mine in my '96?

I'm running a stock ECU, and at MWBF when Kyle scanned mine I was maxing at 16* advance on a stock s/c pulley at the top of 2nd. And I know he was running 19* tuned with an issue with his retard vs. torque reduction tables.

Basically what I'm saying is has your ECU had time to adjust or did you only give her the goose once and these were your results?

The SmoothFlow guy (can't think of his name right now for some reason) is good people.

Was just down at his place last week with a friend. Awesome guy to deal with.

Last edited by '96Bonnevillel67 on Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:17 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

This was after about 3 miles of driving, on a Kemp tuned PCM. I was definitely fuel dumping, but now I'm not sure what's going on now, with the different pulley. I think it adjusted since I reset the trims, and made the PCM learn again. Kyle said he's seen 00+ SSEi's with as little as 10-12* Advance at WOT, so the 14.5* is pretty good to me. I didn't scan for KR, but wasn't concerned, as I had just little spikes of .5*, and should have none, but will confirm this later.

My current plans are to get a PLog and a DP, hopefully Kyle still has his, and then eventually 1.9 YT Rockers. I know everyone says cam, but I don't want to go that far into my engine, and don't have the $$$ to pay anyone to install it. Rockers I can do myself.

BTW, Nate is the Smoothflow guy.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:51 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

00Beast wrote:
This was after about 3 miles of driving, on a Kemp tuned PCM. I was definitely fuel dumping, but now I'm not sure what's going on now, with the different pulley. I think it adjusted since I reset the trims, and made the PCM learn again. Kyle said he's seen 00+ SSEi's with as little as 10-12* Advance at WOT, so the 14.5* is pretty good to me. I didn't scan for KR, but wasn't concerned, as I had just little spikes of .5*, and should have none, but will confirm this later.

My current plans are to get a PLog and a DP, hopefully Kyle still has his, and then eventually 1.9 YT Rockers. I know everyone says cam, but I don't want to go that far into my engine, and don't have the $$$ to pay anyone to install it. Rockers I can do myself.

BTW, Nate is the Smoothflow guy.

Kyle was that low because of his goofy retard vs. torque reduction tables. They set to pull 5* with zero management applied, so basically running 5* less than what he should have been at all times.

I had the same little spike of .5* around 4k, but because I'm at stock recovery it caused a dead spot from 4-4,500.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:05 am 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Year and Trim: 2009 G8 GT
You're locking in at 0.0 because you just reset. Give it a good day or two.

FMS Custom Cam, Yank 3600 SS, 1LE (ZL1) 3.91, SLP Longtubes, Magnaflow cat-back, Rotofab CAI, tuned via HPTuners
415/391

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:33 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 2K1 GTP
00Beast wrote:
On a Kemp tuned PCM.

LOL... :bsnicker:

Wait a couple days until your short terms lock closer to your long terms, timing is pretty close to stock.

2k12 Impala: Stock

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:47 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

What's so funny about a Kemp tune? Kemp is a guy in Mpls who is very good at tuning 3800's, FYI.

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:31 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

He's also an arrogant prick, and isn't that great at tuning unless he's "motivated" to do so. Resulting in lost customers over the past few months.

If you saw Larz01's tune on his '01 GTP, and knew the story behind Kemp and Larz01 this past year and a half, you would see what he's talking about.

I'll deal with Blake, his roommate, or Ben Stiff before that asshat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:26 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
We don't publicly bash people on this forum, no matter if they are a member or not. Please keep your negative comments to yourself.

2005 Town & Country Limited | Butane Blue Metallic | 290k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 210k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:46 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 2K1 GTP
harofreak00 wrote:
We don't publicly bash people on this forum, no matter if they are a member or not. Please keep your negative comments to yourself.

It's not bashing its a statement of fact.

Pictures are worth more than a 1000 words

2k12 Impala: Stock

Last edited by Larz01 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:51 am 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Year and Trim: Member since Jan 2003
'96Bonnevillel67 wrote:
He's also an arrogant prick, and isn't that great at tuning unless he's "motivated" to do so. Resulting in lost customers over the past few months.

If you saw Larz01's tune on his '01 GTP, and knew the story behind Kemp and Larz01 this past year and a half, you would see what he's talking about.

I'll deal with Blake, his roommate, or Ben Stiff before that asshat.

FYI, that attitude AND language will get you kicked off this forum real quick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:53 am 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
Warnings issued, heed them. Back on topic.

Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:20 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Warned for what? Answering the ORIGINAL POSTERS question?

00Beast wrote:
What's so funny about a Kemp tune? Kemp is a guy in Mpls who is very good at tuning 3800's, FYI.

Here's my question. How is it that TWO people posting in this thread are currently having tuning issues with no smaller than a 3.4" s/c pulley? But myself and Larz01 are wrong for pointing this out?

How is it that I'm running a stock, unmolested ECU, and running more timing (16* on a 3.5" s/c pulley) at about the same LTFT's as both people (00Beast and Larz01) with zero knock besides a blip of .5* at 4,000rpms as I had stated, than the two on here running Kemp tuned ECU's? Think about that. My stock ECU is more aggressive than their tuned ECU's.

How is it that a fully built (cam, headers, intercooled, 3.0" pulley etc. etc.) GTP with a Kemp tune/build only ran a 13.0@107mph with a 2.0 60'?
Because Kemp deliberately short changed his tune to "preserve the trans." even though a built trans. was in order at the time, and conveniently disclosed this months after the build.

Larz01 physically sprinted on foot 1/4 mile for a tie breaker to win a Kemp ported s/c housing nearly 1 1/2 years ago at TCG, has yet to receive it, and no longer will because Kemp refuses to hand it over, or fix the shotty tune on his GTP.

Not to mention numerous unanswered phone calls, PM's, and Kemp threatening to "come up for more than just a tune."

There is nothing right about his conduct, and this should be pointed out when someone questions why we disagree.

What we have both said is completely justified, maybe the language wasn't, and I apologize for that.

And I'm far from having an attitude, just stating opinion/fact doesn't mean I have an attitude. I'm getting really sick of people screwing others, especially when money and parts are involved, and I won't stand for it. Because I'm pretty sure a retired Mod has had problems with him as well.

Apologies for trying to help a good guy we met a few weeks ago, and answering his question.

Last edited by '96Bonnevillel67 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:16 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

If you guys had that opinion of him, you could've PM'd me. My experience with him was OK, he seemed like a decent enough guy. Will I get another tune from him? Probably not, but that's because I can get one for free elsewhere as of late. I stated that I had him tune my car because it was pertinent info, and it still is.

Enough about the person, let's get this back on topic. My LTFT's at WOT are currently 3.6, IIRC, which isn't too bad. I think I'm going to wait to get tuned until I get my PLog, DP and cat on, and get one solid tune, and maybe have a 3.4 tune as well, on my other PCM.

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:32 am 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Year and Trim: 00' SSEi
Lets put an end to the bashing. Even if you did have problems, it needs to be dealt with via PM. If its a case were several members have been burned, we will then post an Annoucement at the top of this forum. Right now it seems pretty 50/50, one good case, one bad case.
Lets carry on with the topic, and leave the bashing out of it.
Thank You

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:50 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

00Beast wrote:
If you guys had that opinion of him, you could've PM'd me. My experience with him was OK, he seemed like a decent enough guy. Will I get another tune from him? Probably not, but that's because I can get one for free elsewhere as of late. I stated that I had him tune my car because it was pertinent info, and it still is.

Enough about the person, let's get this back on topic. My LTFT's at WOT are currently 3.6, IIRC, which isn't too bad. I think I'm going to wait to get tuned until I get my PLog, DP and cat on, and get one solid tune, and maybe have a 3.4 tune as well, on my other PCM.

My suggestion, if you dropped to a 3.6, were tuned on a 3.4, and you're still adding fuel, get with Kyle and get a tune from someone who doesn't drop spark down, dump fuel, change shift points/firmness and call it a tune. You're getting knock even though you're running less spark than stock, and more fuel with minimal mods, it doesn't add up.

And SSEiMatt93, it's not 50/50.

Myself, Larz01, stcspiderman (mnclubgp), OlBlueEyesBonne, and now 00beast. That's five people that I know directly have all had problems (00Beast just with tuning, the rest it's personal) with this one specific person, and probably more the way it's starting to sound.

It's in the works of being brought to public eye on ClubGP, Pontiac Bonneville Club, and MNClubGP, under his direct discretion, because Kemp doesn't "give a ....."

I'm done with this Kemp discussion until it's public.

Sorry 00Beast for going OT somewhat. I just don't want to see a good guy get screwed over.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:17 am 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
This topic is locked temporarily. Members need to know when a Moderator leaves specific instructions about posting, they are expected to be followed. The Kemp discussion ended in this topic after the first Moderator posted.

It will be unlocked later after the off-topic stuff is deleted (out of respect to the original topic author).

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]