It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Swapping to a '97 ECU.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:44 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 1996 Bonneville SSEi
I have a '96 SSEi, and I've been told that all I have to do is swap to a '97 ECU and change a few of the parameters in order to tune it.

What exactly has to be changed for it to work with my car?

I know Sandrock has thread on it, but I need this in put where I can understand it.

"Throw in a 1997 PCM, turn off the VATS, and tune away :wink:

Now, the 1996 L67 could do this as well, but they will have to get creative with the 4T65 programming the 1997 L67 OS will have. All of the pressure control will have to be turned off and corresponding MIL codes disabled, but aside from that, the 4T65 program will operate a 4T60."

Last edited by '96Bonnevillel67 on Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:06 pm 
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin

Year and Trim: 03 SLE, 95 SE, 95 TS SE
We'll have to get Brad to answer those questions..

But he did swap a 1997 PCM in and played with the 4T65-E tables to be able to run the 4T60E

From what I understand the 1997 PCM should do what you want...

But please wait until you hear more from Brad as he has a better understanding... Aaron will also have a better understanding..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:21 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Could maybe Sandrock chime in on this one?

I'm planning on a 3.5" pulley and tune Saturday, getting exhaust work tomorrow and I would like to tune to get the most out of what I have, and not shift at 5,200.......

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:15 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
I have a feeling you're not going to be able to get tuned on Sat. unless you have this whole thing figured out by then.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:11 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

00Beast wrote:
I have a feeling you're not going to be able to get tuned on Sat. unless you have this whole thing figured out by then.

Not a big deal, it just would have been convenient to get the tune and pulley done in one shot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:46 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
Yeah, I know what you mean.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:58 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Can someone please chime in on this one? I'm starting to hear different things from different people and I'm not sure if and how it's done.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:04 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: '00 SSEi (proj), '99 Tahoe & '05 Bonne GXP
Oops. Didn't see this at all until just now....
(Wait for a longer response...I'm working right now, and I'll get to it as soon as I can :wink: )

Ok, now that I have a few moments...

Yes, it is possible to put a '97 PCM in a '96 car, but the '96 L67 is a bit trickier. Yes, it's all because of the 4T60E. The L67 bin file for the '97 includes codes and parameters to control the -65E, and includes things the -60E doesn't use such as the pressure control solenoid.

What I did (and I got this idea from Aaron) was to delete all codes associated with the pressure control solenoid and switch manifold, zeroed out those tables, changed the gear ratio (they are slightly different but enough for the PCM to notice), deleted the code for the input shaft speed sensor (the 60's don't use that), and readjusted the remaining tables. After all was said and done, I was able to still retain control of all the gears, but the engine failed when I was trying to dial in the lockup strategy, so I never fully completed the tests. It is, in my opinion, fully doable, but I'm relying on full speculation at this point. The results I was getting was very promising though.

Other than that, the PCM will require a VATS disable...no way around that. There may be a slight pinout change needed for the transmission outputs at the PCM, but I know for certain all else remained the same between '96 and '97.

FYI...I tried this experiment with a local members '96 SLE, and it worked flawlessly.

BonneMe wrote:
Looks like a Volt, Sonata, and Taurus got it on.

Last edited by sandrock on Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:21 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

sandrock wrote:
Oops. Didn't see this at all until just now....
(Wait for a longer response...I'm working right now, and I'll get to it as soon as I can :wink: )

Ok, now that I have a few moments...

Yes, it is possible to put a '97 PCM in a '96 car, but the '96 L67 is a bit trickier. Yes, it's all because of the 4T60E. The L67 bin file for the '97 includes codes and parameters to control the -65E, and includes things the -60E doesn't use such as the pressure control solenoid.

What I did (and I got this idea from Aaron) was to delete all codes associated with the pressure control solenoid and switch manifold, zeroed out those tables, changed the gear ratio (they are slightly different but enough for the PCM to notice), deleted the code for the input shaft speed sensor (the 60's don't use that), and readjusted the remaining tables. After all was said and done, I was able to still retain control of all the gears, but the engine failed when I was trying to dial in the lockup strategy, so I never fully completed the tests. It is, in my opinion, fully doable, but I'm relying on full speculation at this point. The results I was getting was very promising though.

Other than that, the PCM will require a VATS disable...no way around that. There may be a slight pinout change needed for the transmission outputs at the PCM, but I know for certain all else remained the same between '96 and '97.

FYI...I tried this experiment with a local members '96 SLE, and it worked flawlessly.

How would I get a bin. file that will work then? Would that be something you could send me?

Does the fact that the '96 is a 256k flash and the '97 is a 512k affect anything else?

Will there be any wiring that needs to be changed?

Is this something I could do through Kyle (Almatige)? He has an HPTuner.

Thank you so much for the help.

Tune isn't necessarily to make really any more power than what I'm at. My scan this last weekend showed me getting up to 16* advance at the top of second, and only a blip of KR around 4k which is causing a slight dead-spot because it doesn't recover right away. (Can't think of the actual term)
LTFT was a little lean (11.7 IIRC) but everything was looking pretty good.
The reason I want to get this done is because my shift points are PATHETIC.
It's not the trans, it shifts pretty firm, but 1-2 is around 5,300rpm's, and 2-3 I can hold until 5,800rpm's but then it fuel cut's. The 1-2 is killing me because it slows me down because I fall out of my powerband.

Last edited by '96Bonnevillel67 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:31 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: '00 SSEi (proj), '99 Tahoe & '05 Bonne GXP
'96Bonnevillel67 wrote:
How would I get a bin. file that will work then? Would that be something you could send me?

Does the fact that the '96 is a 256k flash and the '97 is a 512k affect anything else?

Will there be any wiring that needs to be changed?

Is this something I could do through Kyle (Almatige)? He has an HPTuner.

Thank you so much for the help.

I think I might have the experimental tune somewhere. If not, I can whip up the base tune since I already know what needs to be changed. Kyle can do the tune if he has the '97 credits to do it. There won't be any changes to the engine wiring, but there might be a few changes to the trans wiring. I can't remember if there are any differences or not as my harness was a full custom build for the Series 1.

BonneMe wrote:
Looks like a Volt, Sonata, and Taurus got it on.