It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:52 am 
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin

Year and Trim: 03 SLE, 95 SE, 95 TS SE
Author : Willwren

Since I own 2 Supercharged Bonnevilles, one with a boost gauge from the factory, and one without, I realize just how much information I'm lacking in the SC/SLE as compared to the SSEi.

The boost gauge is an important bit of information on how the engine is performing, and can be a good indicator of problems you might be otherwise unaware of.

An important tidbit of information is that if you have a Supercharged (from the factory) SE/SLE or SSE, you do NOT have a MAP sensor if your car is a 92-95. The 92-95 supercharged models only used the MAP sensor for the factory boost gauge. Even if your Supercharged SE/SLE or SSE has a Supercharger, you have a volt meter in that location of the dash instead of a boost gauge.

What you need to do is locate the vacuum line coming off the vacuum 'tree' on the front of the Supercharger that is pictured here:
See the white TEE fitting with the brass fittings attached? This is the vacuum line you want to tap for your boost signal. It's the line that feeds the Fuel Pressure Regulator (so you want to make sure you don't have leaks!).

Stock tubing is 4mm, my gauge uses .125". 4mmx4mmx.125. What this means is a 4mm by 4mm TEE fitting, adapted to 1/8" (.125) for the gauge's tubing. The brass portion in the pic above has a 1/8" fitting in it. Most auto parts stores or plumbing specialty shops should be able to help you. I got my parts from a local scrap yard that specializes in industrial machinery recycling.

The best place to come through the firewall with the tubing to the gauge is well hidden behind the brake pedal. Pull the carpet and padding down to expose the plastic trim around the firewall electrical passthru. This is just to the left of the steering shaft as it passes through the firewall. Drill a small hole, just a bit bigger than the tubing in the flange of the passthru. This is ideal, as the plastic tubing won't be rubbing against the metal firewall.

Find a gauge location. I wanted 'stealth' so I chose not to use a pillar pod. You can see in the pics where I mounted it:

The white faced gauge isn't ideal for the 'look' and feel in the day, but with a red gel-cap on the lamp for backlighting, it's a perfect match to the dash lights at night. The white does catch the eye better in that particular location, since it's a little out of the line of natural sight when driving. Ideally it would be better in a pillar pod, which may happen later, but I prefer the sleeper look, and a pillar pod really stands out when you blow by someone. I'll shoot night pics tonight to show the color match. The lamp for backlighting is tied directly into my dimmer control.

Driver's perspective:

Happy Boosting!

Author : Willwren