It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:15 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2005 SLE
Hey guys,

So my buddy's girlfriend has been driving her 98 GTP for a long time now, and just this morning started developing a little slip in the transmission. The car is nearing 200K in miles, and we all know the trannys are the weakest link of these cars...she took it to the shop to look at, and they gave her a laundry list of problems and repairs for the car (like anyone should expect from a mechanic.) I was talking with my buddy about some of the things mentioned which I kinda had some suggestions for, but wanted some other input.

First of all, shes not looking to get another 3 years out of the car, were talking maybe through winter and until she graduates from college.

The first issue, is obviously the transmission. I know flushing a trans for the first time at this mileage isn't recommended..but we were thinking of possibly adding the Lucas Stop Slip and seeing if it does anything. We know were just prolonging the "issue" but if it buys some time, that all were looking for. Whats the best way to use the product? Just add to the existing trans fluid, or do a flush and add the stop slip to the new fluid?

Second issue: The bearings within her supercharger are going...again, according to mechanic. What symptoms would lead to a supercharger bearing failure? If this was the case, Could I swap an L36 (plastic) UIM onto her car with appropriate belt? I have a spare UIM laying around from when I did my LIM replacement, and thought if it could guy them some time, it would be worth it. I'm just not familiar enough with PCM programming between supercharged and N/A engines to know...

Any comments and suggestion are grealtly appreciated. The other items on the list were like ball joints and other random things which weren't classified as safety related by the mechanic..so not so worried about those, just the mechanical ones as of now.

Thanks!

2005 SLE, Greystone Metallic, 152K.

A few mods..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:45 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 99 SE
99 Suburban 2500 LT
68 Beetle
Not sure on the trans stuff. Most of the time once a trans starts slipping it's a foot in the grave for it no matter what.

Have you considered a junkyard one?

The LIM on the L67 is different than the L36. The L67 has the injectors in the heads, while the L36 has them in the manifold.
You're going to just have to replace the bearings on the supercharger. This will be far easier than trying to go N/A.

Heres some supercharger info for you to read.
http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/fo ... 08&start=0

1999 Bonneville SE with the heart of a 07 Grand Prix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:47 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: .
92 SSE
92 Lumina Z34
99 Tahoe
03 PAU
Or get a used blower...there are usually some on ebay, but who knows what condition the bearings are in on those...Still an option though.
As far as the Trans goes, I'm not 100% sure, but in my experience, once it slips...its toast. You can try some stop slip but I would just add it to the fluid in there, it will probably help very little if any either way... :btruestory: This from the black Mercedes parked in front of our house with a dead trans that we tried band-aids on to no avail...

92 Bonneville SSE | L67/4T60E | 77K mi | Med Slate Grey w/ Two-Tone Grey Int. | Low Miles Time Capsule
92 Lumina Z34 | LQ1/4T60E | 177k mi | Torch Red w/Grey Int. | Rusty In Odd Spots
99 Tahoe LT | L31/4L65E | 276k mi | Spiral Grey Metallic w/Grey Int. | Truck for Truck Things and Portable Concert Hall
03 Park Avenue Ultra | 212K mi | White Diamond Met. w/ Shale Int. | Southern Time Capsule
05 Acura RL | 155K mi | Carbon Grey Pearl w/Ebony Int. | The Super-Hooptie Daily

James May wrote:
Hello.

Last edited by SSEiMan01 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:38 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2005 SLE
Hey guys,

Went and test drove the car today, and it wasn't nearly like what I was expecting. The car only had a hard shift and kinda jumps into overdrive. I'm assuming it the PCS acting up....were all aware of that issue...my car developed it and was covered under warranty. To correct this, I can to a light, slipped the car into "3" and drove around. The car shifted flawlessly and never would have expected any trans issues. So, I told her to always drive the car around town in 3, keeping the car from shifting to over drive. Said when she gets on the highway, once around 55-60 (car turns right around 2200 RPM at these speeds) she can manually slip it into overdrive. The two times I tried this, the car shifted fine. So not a permanent fix, but buys her time with the car.

For the supercharger, the bearings are going, as I assume that's the noise I was hearing from it..only heard it at idle though. Applied the brake and brought up the RPM, and the noise instantly went away. Never heard the noise while driving around either. I will keep investigating this and see what she wants.

So she was happier than can be. We cheers as the car turned over 192,000 miles and im confident it will see 200K and make it awhile longer for her. Will see what we do for the supercharger.

Thanks for input guys!

2005 SLE, Greystone Metallic, 152K.

A few mods..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:53 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
I wouldn't do a trans flush, I'd do a pan drop and filter, then add a quart of Lucas Trans-Fix.

No, you can't remove the S/C and install an L36 UIM. First off it'd be a dog due to the lower compression, secondly it's more than just the S/C. The LIM and heads are different, and the L36 UIM won't fit the L67 LIM.

What's the S/C doing, clanking or grinding? If it's clanking at idle it's the coupler, a $40 job. If it's a whining/grinding it's probably the bearings. haro will sell you a used M90 for $125 ish.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.